NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

18 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Quinn claimed that he had found a loophole in his contract: The Kings had missed a deadline on some paperwork, making him eligible to negotiate with other teams. The league attempted to dispute that, before realizing that they somehow didn’t have a copy of Quinn’s contract on file anywhere. To put an exclamation point on the entire debacle, it took the Kings two weeks to inform the league what had happened.

Of course. 

Why did the Devils go to court for a restraining order in the first place? Why didn’t they just appeal their coach’s suspension to league president John Ziegler?

As it turns out, they had a good excuse. During an embarrassing crisis occurring in the middle of the conference finals, Ziegler couldn’t be located. He just went missing. For days.

How do you appeal to a president who’s gone AWOL? You can’t, the Devils figured, so they went to court.

Blackhawks owner Bill Wirtz claimed Ziegler had left him in charge, and insisted he had everything under control. But rumors flew about the missing president’s whereabouts. One especially bizarre report indicated that he was helping his son escape a cult.

It wasn’t until days after the doughnut incident that Ziegler finally made his presence known — via conference call, from an undisclosed location. To this day, nobody seems to know exactly where he was.

• Like 3

No, this league has been dumb from day one. They've never had a cohesive vision for the league or the sport, just a very small handful of arena promoters enriching themselves.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

A tale of two Stefan Nilssons

In the 12th round of the 1988 NHL entry draft, the Vancouver Canucks drafted 20-year-old Swedish forward Stefan Nilsson. This came as a surprise to the Calgary Flames because earlier that day — in the seventh round of the 1988 NHL entry draft — they also had drafted 20-year-old Swedish forward Stefan Nilsson.

When the Flames demanded an explanation from the league, they were informed that there were actually two 20-year-old Swedish forward Stefan Nilssons in that year’s draft. The Flames, according to the possibly apocryphal story that has made the rounds ever since, had accidentally picked the wrong one. They wanted this guy.

I swear to you, something very close to this happened in my office several years back.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 2 weeks later...

https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file?accession=ohiou1467907905&disposition=inline

"We Want Fish Sticks!": The Failed Rebranding of the New York Islanders

A dissertation presented to
the faculty of
the Scripps College of Communication of Ohio University
In partial fulfillment
of the requirements for the degree
Doctor of Philosophy

Okay, this guy's at least a lurker. Show yourself, Bad Islander Logo PhD!

• Like 2

From the "90 percent of life is showing up" files:

Recognizing SME’s success in developing the logo for the NBA’s Raptors, the group also entertained the dubious argument that dinosaurs were native to Long Island millions of years ago. That, too, was quickly dismissed.

From the "100 percent of life is a dick joke if you want it to be" files:

O’Hara thought the early designs for the mascot looked either “too Disneyesque” or too complex, with crabs tangled in his beard or fish at the end of his hockey stick.

This is what this thread is for:

Despite the problems with the costume, Di Fiore was enamored with a dream job as a mascot for a professional sports team. Still, he lacked a skill he feared was crucial to being hired. “Even though I was a jock and played sports,” he said, “I never really learned how to ice-skate really well.” He tried to convince the Islanders that hockey mascots didn’t spend much time on the ice anyway, since the Zamboni came out between periods. The Islanders agreed: They wanted their new mascot interacting with fans in the stands and on the concourse. Charisma was required. Skating ability was secondary. Di Fiore was hired in September at the rate of $75 per game.

The Islanders had the first component of their new brand. What they didn’t know, because Di Fiore had not told them, was that the man hired to represent their new brand was recovering from alcoholism, cocaine addiction, and depression. What they did know, and had little power to prevent, was that the 1994-1995 NHL season, which they hoped would be a test run for the Islanders’ new identity, might never happen.

I don't know whether I'll read the whole thing but I'm enjoying it so far.

ROLLING EDITS:

Sounds Like a Mountain Goats Lyric But Ok

When Di Fiore started dancing, a fan shouted that he was blocking his view of the game. When he ventured into a group of children, a ten-year-old boy told the reporter, “I’d like to assassinate him. I think he’s stupid. I think he looks horrible, and the Rangers are going to win.”

I’d like to assassinate him
I think he’s stupid
I think he looks horrible
and the Rangers are going to win
and I hope you die

I hope we both die

After approving the Fishsticks logo, call it getting Capone for tax evasion:

Walsh has never publicly provided his version of events. In 2014, he was sentenced to twenty years in prison for committing fraud at a commodities-trading firm, and his incarceration and tarnished reputation may have emboldened the meeting participants to finger him as the logo’s benefactor. Walsh did not reply to a letter sent as part of this project to the correctional facility where he resides.

Oops:

“For the first time in 4 years, I say they’ll get in,” Art Feeney wrote in Islander Insider. “I’ve been wrong 2 of the last 3 seasons… why should I be right now? An obvious reason is Mike Milbury.”

• Like 1

At one point, Calabria was approached by a trainer who claimed to have run an unusual experiment involving the jersey. The trainer said he placed the old and new uniforms in pails of water and weighed them. He found the fisherman jerseys were heavier and concluded that they were slowing down the players on the ice. Calabria was incredulous. “That’s hardly scientific, OK? Hardly scientific,” he said, still annoyed years later. “How much more could the patch of a new jersey weigh over the old jersey? A hundredth of an ounce? A fiftieth of an ounce? That’s the reason the team was on an eight-game losing streak? The patch? Really?”

And that young trainer...would go on...to design uniforms...for the San Jose Sharks. And now...you know...the rest...of the story.

Decades later, Milbury, returning to his role as a hockey analyst, admitted on air that he had indeed spit at Samuelsson. “I did spit at Ulf Samuelsson, at least in his direction. I lost all sorts of respect for him when he told the press about it afterwards. It was just a gesture.” His broadcast colleagues looked incredulous that Milbury would claim to have lost respect for a player who was the target of the coach’s own saliva. The quote epitomized Milbury’s odd perspective on appropriate behavior in hockey.

Frankly, I think everyone should spit at Ulf Samuelsson if the opportunity arises. As with the shoe, Milbury was in the right.

I'm Not Mad I'm Not Mad I Just Think It's Funny '96:

For the designers at SME, the scene was humiliating. Never before had a jersey created by the agency resulted in such an outpouring of disdain. “They had riots in the street over the damn thing,” remembered illustrator Pat McDarby, laughing in disbelief. “People protesting over a logo that we did was pretty funny and embarrassing.”

• Like 1

They did shrink the crest from the first set of jerseys to the second. That original version is super wide, and I can see how it would get it uncomfortable.

Anyhoo, back to the worst owner in the modern-day NHL by a longshot:

• Like 1

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

They did shrink the crest from the first set of jerseys to the second. That original version is super wide, and I can see how it would get it uncomfortable.

Anyhoo, back to the worst owner in the modern-day NHL by a longshot:

Is this how Quebec City gets it's team? or does DOUCHEBAG Melnyk sell to U.S. interests out of spite. Hello Houston Sod Poodles!! (sorry in advance 😁). 

Much like the Islanders, I'd expect that the Senators are locked in by their oversized TV contract. They won't move, but Melnyk has to go.

Kinda hate the glee people take in ripping on the Senators.

• Like 1

Name something good about the Ottawa Senators franchise. "They're in Ottawa" does not count.

UPDATE: Give me my free arena or I will sue you for $700 million.

Well, like I said, TSN's panicked overpayment for their TV rights probably kicks into leaguewide revenues a bit, though I guess that does rely on them being in Ottawa. Their 2003 team is still a sentimental favorite of mine, probably the best roster to get stopped short of a Cup Final I've ever seen. I get a laugh out of how they never seem to follow any sort of long-term trajectory and just bounce around among good, bad, really bad, and hairsbreadth from winning conference at random. And Bryan Murray always seemed like a good longtime hockey guy. The owner turned out to be an undercapitalized jerkass but I don't think they're the lifetime embarrassment to professional sports that they're being characterized as.