NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Name something good about the Ottawa Senators franchise. "They're in Ottawa" does not count.

Okay, I found something.

50 minutes ago, Wings said:

It's not the team. It's the owner. 

The team is the owner. He's owned them for 15 years, taken credit for "saving" the franchise to the point where he felt comfortable asking fans for a liver transplant, keeps an unpopular logo and uniform, and regularly puts himself front and center of the team's PR, whether it's Between Two Pylons with Mark Borowiecki or threatening to move the team the day before hosting an outdoor game. Alfie has told the organization to kick rocks publicly - twice. They tried to villainize Erik Karlsson for not taking a steep-enough hometown discount.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Devils and Kings, in the #1 and #2 media markets, no longer have free, over-the-air radio broadcasts at all. Streaming only. That's pretty sad.

Is it any less sad than being on a college radio station?  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Honestly, did he even hit him in the head?

No. But it’s Tom Wilson. If anyone in the NHL has a reputation, it’s him. Having watched the hit myself, I feel like it looked way worse in real time. For most people that’s probably a two or five minute penalty, that’s it. 

Here’s the conclusion that I come to every time with one of these Wilson hits. Regardless of whether he deserves the punishment for his latest hit, the guy’s got to know better. He’s extremely valuable to this team - we play much, much better with him in the lineup than without him. Knowing this, he needs to dial it way back and not even come close to the line because if he does his reputation will carry him over it.

Most Caps fans defend Wilson to a fault and it’s infuriating to me because he does deserve a lot of the punishments he gets, and even though I like him in the lineup because we play better with him, he doesn’t have a good head between his shoulders. He’s immature and needs to realize that his actions are dumb and are hurting his team. He’ll be out of the league before he knows it if he can’t stop. 

spacer.png

On 11/24/2018 at 7:26 PM, the admiral said:

The Devils and Kings, in the #1 and #2 media markets, no longer have free, over-the-air radio broadcasts at all. Streaming only. That's pretty sad.

It’s actually an improvement considering that the Kings were stuck on an obscure AM political talk station for several years before the move.

VmWIn6B.png

KABC is obscure? Hasn't that been a longtime Dodgers flagship? Still, I don't think it's an improvement to go from having free radio to not having free radio. Data is expensive, car radios are not.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

32 minutes ago, the admiral said:

KABC is obscure? Hasn't that been a longtime Dodgers flagship? Still, I don't think it's an improvement to go from having free radio to not having free radio. Data is expensive, car radios are not.

KABC has fallen off a cliff.  It's the #40 rated station in LA, even below USC's classical music station.  The Dodgers have been on KLAC since 2012 and are 50/50 partners with iHeartMedia.

They've also been saddled with KEIB "The Patriot" which, while an improvement at 31st, has much less mainstream recognition.

VmWIn6B.png

I'm no stranger to plummeting heritage AM stations out here: WLS was one of the biggest stations in America at one time, and now, as a dying conservative talk station under failing Cumulus ownership, is right down there with our own classical station and has at times finished behind a gospel station. It's gotten so bad for them that they had to breach their White Sox and Bulls contracts because they couldn't afford the rights anymore. 

Nevertheless! Call me old-fashioned, but all major sports teams and some minor ones should have a place on terrestrial radio. I understand that the Kings are doing some sort of "expanded audio experience" deal with iHeart, but as we discussed over the summer with the Hurricanes firing Chuck Kaiton, providing a free local radio broadcast is really a bare minimum for team marketing and exposure, and there's no reason they can't do all this online stuff but also stick the games on one disgraced AM station or another for those who are out of wi-fi range but still want to follow the game. I guess it's a sign of the times: when the Expos discontinued local radio in 2001 or 2002, everyone was like "that's it, this team is as dead as dead can be, no team has ever been this dead," but now the Kings do the same and it's Actually Good.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The problem?  There are so many terrestrial radio companies on the brink of bankruptcy right now that looking to bail off of the sinking ship is the sound business strategy going forward especially now that unlimited data plans have made a comeback and cars are coming equipped with streaming radio apps built in.

VmWIn6B.png

1 hour ago, LMU said:

The problem?  There are so many terrestrial radio companies on the brink of bankruptcy right now that looking to bail off of the sinking ship is the sound business strategy going forward especially now that unlimited data plans have made a comeback and cars are coming equipped with streaming radio apps built in.

Not up in Canada.

But as far as I know, all the Canadian NHL teams are on either Sportsnet or TSN stations who took over existing sports radio stations in most, if not all, of the markets.

IEI5Tg1.png