NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Taking aside the feel-good aspect, this seems like a cheap publicity move for a team in free fall. Fans really don’t belong in a franchise’s ring of honor, especially when it’s already cheapened by Gretzky being there with the only connection to the team being as a failed coach.

VmWIn6B.png

Eh. While I agree this is a publicity stunt, I honestly don't care what/who a team wants to put into their own "ring of honor." It's more or less an Employee of the Month award. Want to put in a kid with cancer that spent a lot of time with the team? Sure. Want to put in your mascot? Sure. Want to put in the owner's dog? Why not?

I think people put way too much emphasis on hall of fames and even more unnecessary emphasis on team's individual ring of whatevers. Anybody spending substantial time arguing against "honoring" an athlete should probably find a healthier obsession.

• Like 7

jNTsTyQ.png

The Kraken really got crackin' in joining the NHL.

They just got sued by a Seattle establishment called the Kraken Bar & Lounge because the team was going to name the restaurant at their practice facility the "Kraken Bar & Grill", and now according to a tweet, have decided to name the restaurant a different thing because of the lawsuit.

IEI5Tg1.png

18 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

They just got sued by a Seattle establishment called the Kraken Bar & Lounge because the team was going to name the restaurant at their practice facility the "Kraken Bar & Grill", and now according to a tweet, have decided to name the restaurant a different thing because of the lawsuit.

Haven't even taken the ice and they've already pulled an OITGDNHL moment. Really fitting in snug as a bug, they are. 😜 

10 hours ago, monkeypower said:

So I may be the odd one out (Maybe not idk?) but I really find the the Seattle Kraken to be a lame NHL name. It fine for something like the NLL or even Arena Football, but for the NHL, I was expecting something better. When I was a kid, I remember created a fictional hockey team from Seattle the Emerald Dragons. Maybe they had something else planned for the team name but the Kraken feels like a dud. 

• Like 3

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

11 minutes ago, Matthew24 said:

So I may be the odd one out (Maybe not idk?) but I really find the the Seattle Kraken to be a lame NHL name. It fine for something like the NLL or even Arena Football, but for the NHL, I was expecting something better. When I was a kid, I remember created a fictional hockey team from Seattle the Emerald Dragons. Maybe they had something else planned for the team name but the Kraken feels like a dud. 

Did you miss the whole reveal of the name here...?

IEI5Tg1.png

Just now, monkeypower said:

Did you miss the whole reveal of the name here...?

Dude I been on and off here for over a year or so. But I usually keep my opinions to myself, which is something I like to stop doing as I had people complain to me about stuff and when I tell them my though they get annoyed and walk off. (To be fair, I rarely comment on stuff here since I like seeing and reading other people thoughts on stuff. Basically I'm the Silent Bob of the forums). 

To be fair, I honestly find the name, and mostly the logo, as lame. But maybe it because I loved the Golden Knights logo and name so much I was expecting something more with Seattle. That's what I get for having my hopes up...

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

If it weren't for Chris Johnston's report on Saturday Headlines I'd say something along the lines of "offering two TV packages, then making a huge celebration for the A package to the point no one else wants the B package and you end up with just one broadcast partner anyway would probably get real peak OITGDNHL," but it's looking like Fox will save me from posting that later this week if nothing else was coming out about those negotiations

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

It's the NHL on HBO Max and they're still not getting $15 a month from me for it.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

14 hours ago, DEAD! said:

"You have not fully owned your car and make modifications to it unless you have finished playing your installments."

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31366076/seattle-kraken-make-final-payment-officially-become-32nd-nhl-team

I wonder if the Seattle hockey club got one of those old school coupon books that a bank would send you for installment loans. I could see the NHL doing that.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, JayMac said:

I wonder if the Seattle hockey club got one of those old school coupon books that a bank would send you for installment loans. I could see the NHL doing that.

can't seem to find a picture of that but:

The Hindenburg Flipbook series of checks [.gif] : TheSimpsons

• Like 5

so long and thanks for all the fish.

• 4 weeks later...

Any chance Connor McDavid asks the Oilers to be traded? I know they signed him to a long contract, but will he get to the point where he's had enough and wants out, if he hasn't reached that feeling already?

• 3 weeks later...

(Since I can't seem to find the offseason thread because this is a bit more than just OITGDNHL)

Alleged assaults of Blackhawks players ‘an open secret’: source

The alleged sexual assault of two former Chicago Blackhawks players was “an open secret” among staff both within and outside the team’s hockey department, a former team marketing official said in an interview with TSN.

The official said he was told by Blackhawks assistant trainer Jeff Thomas during the summer of 2010 that then-team video coach Brad Aldrich had allegedly sexually assaulted two players. The official asked for anonymity because he still works in the pro hockey industry and fears repercussions from the National Hockey League.

IEI5Tg1.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

(Since I can't seem to find the offseason thread because this is a bit more than just OITGDNHL)

Alleged assaults of Blackhawks players ‘an open secret’: source

What I want to know is why any organization would protect a pervert working on staff over their own players? It not only doesn't make sense from a moral standpoint but an economic one as well. 

EDIT: Oh scheisse, it gets even better:

Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin, who was Blackhawks director of player personnel during the 2009-10 season, was not aware at the time that players had made complaints against Aldrich and was not involved in a meeting to discuss them, Canadiens vice-president of public affairs and communications Paul Wilson wrote in an email to TSN.

It's not known whether then-Blackhawks assistant general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff or then-coach Joel Quenneville knew about the meeting.

Cheveldayoff is now the Winnipeg Jets general manager. A Jets spokesman declined to comment and referred questions to the Blackhawks. Quenneville is now the head coach of the Florida Panthers. A Panthers spokeswoman did not respond to a request for comment.

So this might not only "just" topple Chicago's management, but multiple teams throughout the league. 

• Like 4

Yeah, it seems like molestation is a sport-wide problem from top to bottom. It really upsets me. I feel like I've been kind of fading away from hockey over the last year when it became clear that being a hockey fan online just consisted of jerking off the Carolina Hurricanes for everything, and now I feel myself letting go like I did after the second lockout. It's severely disappointing.

As for Stan Bowman and his role in all this, an unpopular opinion of mine has been that Joel Quenneville was the real brains of the operation, no matter how much people didn't like it when he tinkered with lines, and even though he still must have been  somewhat complicit in all this, Stan really messed this whole organization up forever.

The best answer I can think of as to why they wouldn't flush the sex offender out immediately is that McDonough felt he had to keep the organization's image completely immaculate and that it would be better to keep it under wraps for as long as possible rather than inviting any possibility that anything could ever go wrong in Blackhawkland. For as much positive press as the Hawks got early in their renaissance, 670 The Score was oddly devoted to treating the Blackhawks as some kind of malignant tumor upon the Chicago sports landscape that had to be excised. McDonough couldn't give any enemies any opening.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫