NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

11 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

That's the problem.

Exactly. I know it's ASU's property.

A pro team should be able to afford their own property. If this was a temporary arrangement, I get that things happen. The Expos went through this, when they had stadium issues.

The problem is that there's no clear future, when it comes to the Coyotes surviving on their own. If their survival depends on a minor league team being nice enough to loan them their high school-sized rink of 5000 seats, maybe....just...maybe it's not a good fit for the NHL.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

being in Canada aside, I'm pretty sure the Saskatoon metro is smaller than most if not all ECHL markets, so that's one reason.

No one seriously thinks Saskatoon is a viable NHL market.

But it'd be less embarrassing than this.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, IceCap said:

No one seriously thinks Saskatoon is a viable NHL market.

But it'd be less embarrassing than this.

One point for Saskatoon is it's a really fun word to say.

And unlike Phoenix, it's spelled how it sounds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Yeah, but your original post made it seemed like you were shocked that ASU was top priority in their own arena. I was merely pointing out that the NHL isn't the top priority in most of their arenas, so this shouldn't be seen as a shock.

• Like 1

jNTsTyQ.png

2 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

Yeah, but your original post made it seemed like you were shocked that ASU was top priority in their own arena. I was merely pointing out that the NHL isn't the top priority in most of their arenas, so this shouldn't be seen as a shock.

The absolute comedy here is that this would be the only case in the league where a team not only isn't the top priority of their arena, but isn't even the top billing of the freaking sheet of ice.

At least the Cardinals can claim that ASU let them decorate the playing surface while paying rent.

• Like 6

VmWIn6B.png

7 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

being in Canada aside, I'm pretty sure the Saskatoon metro is smaller than most if not all ECHL markets, so that's one reason.

This alleged NHL organization is stuck playing in a literal 5,000 seat venue that's only available when the ASU Connect Four team doesn't need it and still may not sell it out, but nooooooo you can't move it to Saskatoon or some place where hockey has a following because muh market size footprint evil looney game growerinos

I wonder how far down the list of Canadian CMAs we would have to go before finding something more ridiculous than a "major" league operation paying rent to some suburban college to play games in their tuba storage room. Moncton's building seats 8,800. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, who do you think said:

This alleged NHL organization is stuck playing in a literal 5,000 seat venue that's only available when the ASU Connect Four team doesn't need it and still may not sell it out, but nooooooo you can't move it to Saskatoon or some place where hockey has a following because muh market size footprint evil looney game growerinos

I wonder how far down the list of Canadian CMAs we would have to go before finding something more ridiculous than a "major" league operation paying rent to some suburban college to play games in their tuba storage room. Moncton's building seats 8,800. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

you say this like I'm not on record calling Houston a "Reddit-tier city" and saying Quebec is where the Coyotes should be moving. actually, here's another one for the record: I want an NHL team in Halifax.

• Like 1

53Ocz8U.png

16 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

A pro team should be able to afford their own property. If this was a temporary arrangement, I get that things happen. The Expos went through this, when they had stadium issues.

The problem is that there's no clear future, when it comes to the Coyotes surviving on their own. If their survival depends on a minor league team being nice enough to loan them their high school-sized rink of 5000 seats, maybe....just...maybe it's not a good fit for the NHL.

This is a temporary arrangement though. It's a 3 year lease, with an option for a 4th if they need extra runway to finish a new rink in Tempe. If they can't sort out the new building they'll be gone in 3 years.

• LOL 3

24 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

This is a temporary arrangement though. It's a 3 year lease, with an option for a 4th if they need extra runway to finish a new rink in Tempe. If they can't sort out the new building they'll be gone in 3 years.

Yeah, they have had these issues since George W Bush's first term... so yeah, might as well give it another 3 years 

• Like 9

I saw, I came, I left.

The Kansas City Scouts were less embarrassing than this. At least they knew when to fold them and relocate. The hell is Gary Butthead even thinking with this? Or hell, what the hell are the other owners thinking to sign off on this?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

high quality GIF

This is unprecedented in modern sports in that the team got evicted from its current arena and has no approved plan, let alone one with a reasonable chance for approval with FAA regulations and financing weighing it down. This isn’t the Chargers playing at a soccer stadium. This is sleeping on a friend’s couch.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

VmWIn6B.png

3 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Or hell, what the hell are the other owners thinking to sign off on this?

I'm pretty sure the other owners don't want to see a precedent set where the league can just relocate a team while there is still  committed ownership that's in the process of getting a new area deal done. It's obviously not an ideal situation for anyone, but until the Tempe arena is officially dead the board isn't going to make any drastic decisions. They let the Sens play in an OHL arena for 4 years while they sorted out the Kanata arena situation.

On 5/17/2022 at 6:56 PM, LMU said:

One of the OITGDNHL highlights - ASU controls the look of the ice so the ‘Yotes are forced to play with a pitchfork at the face off circle.

The most mind boggling thing is that Bettman is allowing this. 3 Years ago before he finally buckled Bettman forced the Islanders to play their second round series against the Canes at Barclays instead of the coliseum because of "luxury boxes" but the yotes are allowed to play in front of 20 percent of that coliseum crowd? I cant imagine they would let them play there if they had a playoff series there.

On 5/18/2022 at 10:49 AM, habsfan1 said:

Also, apparently the Sun Devils have priority over scheduling. They have final say. After they set their own NCAA schedule, they'll give whatever remaining dates to the Coyotes, who will have to accept.

Veterans of this silliness know that the NHL, when it owned the Coyotes, engineered the team's schedule to lead the league in Friday and Saturday night home games. I think they and the Leafs basically never played on the road on Saturday nights. That probably won't be an option for the Coyotes anymore, but that's okay, because now that they finally play near all their fans' houses, they'll be able to go to games on weeknights and not have it be a problem.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 5/19/2022 at 2:30 PM, spartacat_12 said:

I'm pretty sure the other owners don't want to see a precedent set where the league can just relocate a team while there is still  committed ownership that's in the process of getting a new area deal done. It's obviously not an ideal situation for anyone, but until the Tempe arena is officially dead the board isn't going to make any drastic decisions. They let the Sens play in an OHL arena for 4 years while they sorted out the Kanata arena situation.

The owners aren't committed to the market, they are committed to the gambling thing they can operate while having this team in the market.

• Like 3
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 2 weeks later...