NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Yep.

If Goodell had just let the Jets move back to Winnipeg, at least that part would have been simpler. But he just couldn't let go of his ego.

Bettman. If Goodell let the Jets move to Winnipeg, the Blue Bombers would be pissed. It would be fun to see Tebow freeze, though.

Sorry to ask a question that's probably been debated infinitum already, but going on the basis that this 'Plan B' pans out in Quebec's favour, just how does it work with the nickname?

We had the 'will-they-won't-they' with the Jets return, but as with Winnipeg, I can't see them returning to Quebec as anything but the Nordiques. Would the new owners just have to negotiate with the Avalanche for the use of the name?

'course the next question after that is.. will they keep the igloo logo? ;)

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

I like the wolf actually. Though the abstract nature of the igloo screams "Quebec hockey" so I'm good either way.

If they weren't going to go with something else other then Nordiques than Aces or Bulldogs might work.

Let's not forget, the return of the Nords could very well shake things up over at the Pointless Realignment thread, in a league where more teams are better accomodated to playing times in the Eastern time zones than the Western.

Makes me wonder if this will force the league to reinstate the "Winnipeg in the SE for a year" model. Of course, all things taken hypothetically.

Midway.png

P-K Peladeau is supposedly enamored of the Nordiques' name/identity, so I think they'll be the Nordiques. If the Jets' intellectual property reverted to the NHL when they moved in 1996, I wonder if the Nords' did as well.

I wonder where they're going to get their operations staff. Armada? Remparts? It was easy with the Thrashers, because TNSE was basically functioning as an NHL operation already and just sort of assimilated the Thrashers' roster into the existing Manitoba Moose front office and operations, rather than move the franchise as is traditionally done. Tougher with the Coyotes unless they too essentially merge with the Armada and/or Remparts, because their existing account reps and promotional staff probably don't want to relocate with the team and probably don't even speak French anyway.

I wonder what'll happen to Don Maloney and Dave Tippett. One school of thought is that Quebecor needs to install its own people, the other is that Maloney and Tippett have done so much with so little that you can't fire them now. I see both sides, so I say keep Maloney and launch Tippett. Maloney seems to be a pretty good judge of talent, so give him a chance to work his magic with a better budget. However, Tippett coaches a style of hockey that's absolutely abhorrent to the Quebecois/international sensibilities that this team is going to appeal to. Ask Jacques Martin: in the land of the Flying Frenchmen, the Stastnys, and run-and-gun Q league, you can't do this sluggish, thumb-up-your-ass fraudulence and expect anyone to have your back. You can't do that in Quebec, and with the resources of Quebecor behind you, you shouldn't have to.

Oh, and it shouldn't matter which language the coach speaks; there's no lingual taffy pull in QC.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sorry to ask a question that's probably been debated infinitum already, but going on the basis that this 'Plan B' pans out in Quebec's favour, just how does it work with the nickname?

We had the 'will-they-won't-they' with the Jets return, but as with Winnipeg, I can't see them returning to Quebec as anything but the Nordiques. Would the new owners just have to negotiate with the Avalanche for the use of the name?

'course the next question after that is.. will they keep the igloo logo? ;)

I think the NHL owns all past nicknames...in the Jets scenario, they said they'd let the team use it free of charge. I imagine they'd do the same with the Nordiques.

bYhYmxh.png

I thought a stylized FDL would work well as a primary crest for a Quebec team (though I like it as a trim aspect as well.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I thought the NHL only owned the Jets marks because they also owned the Coyotes after the initial bankruptcy fiasco.

Nope...they also own the old Whalers marks. It's a leaguewide thing.

bYhYmxh.png

According to this, the Hurricanes own the rights, the NHL just manages it.

Pulled from here (Oct. 2009).

The Hartford Whalers trademarks were assigned to the Canes. One of the legacy registrations for hockey games ? is still live and managed by NHL Properties, the NHL entity that manages all the NHL teams? trademark registrations. Puck Daddy also mentions that Reebok CCM is making the jerseys ? that?s no coincidence, since Reebok CCM has the exclusive license to make NHL jerseys.

Compare this to the Browns, where the trademarks were held in trust during the hiatus. From the trademark records, it looks like the Hurricanes just own whatever rights are left in the Whalers name and mark and it?s just a routine jersey licensing deal.

I like the wolf actually. Though the abstract nature of the igloo screams "Quebec hockey" so I'm good either way.

If they weren't going to go with something else other then Nordiques than Aces or Bulldogs might work.

The Wolf logo was okay, but the Igloo was one of those brilliant in it's simplicity logos. If the Nords had stayed, there probably would have been an outcry over the change, and within five years they would have gone back to old logos and colours.

tigercatssignature-1.png

The Quebec Citadelles an NHL ready look.

preview_550_35364.jpg

53-f.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The Quebec Citadelles an NHL ready look.

preview_550_35364.jpg

53-f.jpg

That was a brilliant identity all-around. Shame that it was relatively short-lived.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Nordiques just need this:

Quebec-Nordiques--2326-STASTNY-Stitched-Replithentic-CCM-Throwback-White-Jersey-3219-63095.jpg

and this

1_14818_Quebec_Nordiques_PETER_STASTNY_jersey_in_blue_CCM.jpg

make the FDLs smaller and more of them, like the Sens laurel from the pre-edge alt.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."