NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

There was a Sabres-Jets game on NBCSN a few weeks ago. They chanted "silver medal" at Miller.

If they move, they'll have their own cable channel, possibly national, which as we know is virtually a license to print money. Even if it's not in English, that's still a lot of hockey-related revenue for the league. Cap goin' up!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There was a Sabres-Jets game on NBCSN a few weeks ago. They chanted "silver medal" at Miller.

If they move, they'll have their own cable channel, possibly national, which as we know is virtually a license to print money. Even if it's not in English, that's still a lot of hockey-related revenue for the league. Cap goin' up!

Alright then. So now, not even the TV deal can be a hold up.

Let this happen, Gary.

spacer.png

Take it for what's it worth....

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.univershockey.ca%2F%3Fp%3D1652%26fb_source%3Dmessage&act=url

"There is never smoke without fire, but when you see flames, it becomes downright plain."

"I can tell you, in fact, you CONFIRM that Quebec City will have his NHL team next season."

More fun with Google Translate, from the comments:

I hope you're right! The city is on fire!

Don't even have the team yet, and they're already acting like they lost in the postseason. Now that's a Canadian hockey market!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah, I'd cross off QC due to it not being an Amurrican TV market.

And Winnipeg is?

Americans by and large don't care much either way, but generally, it's better if English is the primary language.

Doesn't seem to hurt the Montreal Canadiens or Ottawa Senators.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I would just love to see the Citadelles come back. Fantastic name, logo, colours, and jerseys.

That said, if the Moose couldn't do it with perhaps the most NHL ready look ever, then I doubt the Citadelles could either.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Ehh, I'm not crazy about that Citadelles package. Too St. Louis Rams-y for me.

I think the Nordiques, like the Jets, will need their identity spruced up (I gave it a whirl with a "coat of arms" logo and crenelated striping), but the name and the fleur-de-lis need to be a part of whatever they go forth with.

Yeah, I'd cross off QC due to it not being an Amurrican TV market.

And Winnipeg is?

Americans by and large don't care much either way, but generally, it's better if English is the primary language.

Doesn't seem to hurt the Montreal Canadiens or Ottawa Senators.

Some would argue that Ottawa is an English-primary market. And Montreal has a significant English-speaking population. Quebec City really doesn't.

spacer.png

I don't think there's an argument about Ottawa. I'd expect that QC's anglophone coverage would be the same sort of perfunctory nod that Ottawa's francophone coverage is. Incidentally, I think the Senateurs games are on TVA Sport, where the Nords would be. I wonder if they'll get bumped off.

I grant that Toronto and Montreal are not US cities, but they are not cities seeking expansion/relocation teams either. They have been in the league since its creation. They aren't going anywhere any time soon. (sadly) I'm just saying that since all that the BOG cares about is expanding revenue, and US TV revenues would be a good way to do so, that expanding into Canada would not be something they would see as favourable to that plan.

I don't think there's an argument about Ottawa. I'd expect that QC's anglophone coverage would be the same sort of perfunctory nod that Ottawa's francophone coverage is. Incidentally, I think the Senateurs games are on TVA Sport, where the Nords would be. I wonder if they'll get bumped off.

They most likely will.

spacer.png

I grant that Toronto and Montreal are not US cities, but they are not cities seeking expansion/relocation teams either. They have been in the league since its creation. They aren't going anywhere any time soon. (sadly) I'm just saying that since all that the BOG cares about is expanding revenue, and US TV revenues would be a good way to do so, that expanding into Canada would not be something they would see as favourable to that plan.

And yet, a year ago, they let a team from the 8th largest media market in the US leave for a small prairie city in Canada. A move that proved to be very profitable. Not only does it prove that the NHL doesn't need to try to fit round pegs into square holes in southern American markets to increase revenue, but it also proves that regardless of what the NHL wants they're still bound by the realities of the situation. Trading Atlanta for Winnipeg may not have been something the NHL wanted to do, but it's what they did because they didn't have a choice. Given that the move back to Winnipeg worked out, I'm sure the NHL will be less resistant to returning to Quebec City once it becomes clear that it's the only viable option for the Coyotes.

And yet, a year ago, they let a team from the 8th largest media market in the US leave for a small prairie city in Canada. A move that proved to be very profitable. Not only does it prove that the NHL doesn't need to try to fit round pegs into square holes in southern American markets to increase revenue, but it also proves that regardless of what the NHL wants they're still bound by the realities of the situation. Trading Atlanta for Winnipeg may not have been something the NHL wanted to do, but it's what they did because they didn't have a choice. Given that the move back to Winnipeg worked out, I'm sure the NHL will be less resistant to returning to Quebec City once it becomes clear that it's the only viable option for the Coyotes.

Maybe the Coyotes will go to Seattle. They, like Quebec City, have plans for a new arena in the near future.

Unlike Seattle, though, Quebec City has a place for the team to play in until they get the new rink built. Plus you don't have worry about likely competition with the NBA in Quebec City. Any NHL team in Seattle would have a hard time competing against the nu-Sonics, given how the NBA left in the first place.

I'm just saying that since all that the BOG cares about is expanding revenue, and US TV revenues would be a good way to do so, that expanding into Canada would not be something they would see as favourable to that plan.

But there's not really money in US TV revenue. NBC just locked up the NHL at a good but not great price for the next ten years, so you're not really making any fast money by replacing Phoenix with Kansas City or Seattle. Meanwhile, the Canadian broadcast rights--which are distributed among all 30 teams--are up for renewal. It's sort of like the NHL signed its own salary-cap-circumventing contract, except having themselves locked in at what seems like a good rate now will bite them in the ass later when it turns out to be well below market value.

One of the dumber canards going, and not that you personally said it but plenty of people do, is that Canada doesn't need more teams because they'll always watch hockey on TV but American interest is dependent on the markets involved. Again: not the NFL. Hockey is not first and foremost a TV show; it remains a gate-driven league. You have to make your money by selling tickets, beer, and parking spaces; local broadcast rights are a secondary concern; national rights highly tertiary. If there are hockey tickets in Phoenix that people can buy and don't while there are hypothetical tickets in Quebec City that people can't buy but would, then you have not properly allocated your resources in a gate-driven league.

And as far as media goes, secondary as it may be, it can't hurt that the Nordiques would be an arm of a huge media conglomerate.

Maybe the Coyotes will go to Seattle. They, like Quebec City, have plans for a new arena in the near future.

But Seattle's current arena, unlike Quebec City's, isn't getting renovations done (unless I'm mistaken).

I do agree, however, that whichever team is the next to relocate after the Coyotes, that Seattle should be at the top of the list in potential suitors.

spacer.png

Only one problem, Seattle doesn't have a solid owner at this time, sure there's the rumblings of Don Levin but that's all, Quebec has someone ready to go in Pierre Karl Peladeau & the Colisee can host the team while the new arena is built. The Colisee is already scheduled for renovations. The Key Arena isn't a place to play hockey these days & in all honesty, I think Seattle will get a shot, just not now, I think they're too focused on getting the Sonics back first. Either way, I think this is finally the Yotes swan song.

baltimoreravens.png

I'm glad when reality and common sense kicks in. There are many markets in the States that I think could support NHL hockey and increase the NHL's bottom line. But there are also others that are proving to be money sinkholes. As soon as some of these sinkholes are not fed any more, the teams that are left, whether that's 30, or fewer, should all be much happier with their bottom lines. But when women's golf is more popular on TV than NHL hockey in a given region, the NHL has no business in that market.

You know, Seattle would've been a fine place for the NHL to go. Unfortunately, the old owner of the Supersonics led an expansion bid just so he could sabotage it at the last minute (Miami or Anaheim got it instead) and keep the Sonics from having competition. Then he had the Seattle Center Coliseum renovated to be basketball-specific so that an NHL counterpart would be untenable. And you know where he is now? Dead!

There was also supposed to be a Seattle/Denver expansion in the '70s, but it was cancelled because the Scouts moved to Denver instead. Poor Seattle.

You know, Seattle would've been a fine place for the NHL to go. Unfortunately, the old owner of the Supersonics led an expansion bid just so he could sabotage it at the last minute (Miami or Anaheim got it instead) and keep the Sonics from having competition. Then he had the Seattle Center Coliseum renovated to be basketball-specific so that an NHL counterpart would be untenable. And you know where he is now? Dead!

There was also supposed to be a Seattle/Denver expansion in the '70s, but it was cancelled because the Scouts moved to Denver instead. Poor Seattle.

:censored:in' KC Scouts...

spacer.png

:censored:in' KC Scouts...

Actually, the WHA beat the NHL to the punch and installed the Denver Spurs before the NHL could. KC didn't move to Denver until 1980. The Spurs identity was promoted from the Western Hockey League (or whatever it's name was at the time), the same league that had the original San Fransisco Seals and Vancouver Canucks. The NHL had sought to expand to Seattle and Denver, but were forced to expand to New York to keep the WHA from using the Nassau stadium. It would be fitting if, after the Coyotes move north to Quebec City, the Islanders finally come home to Seattle.

nhl94vansigpng.png