NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

So if this is indeed the end of the Coyotes, then wow. Finally eh? What's it been? Three years? The board will seem somewhat empty without the tales of self-destructive league and civic actions.

Isn't Abbotsford still thrashing around and twitching?

The Heat are still a thing? Wow.

I stand corrected then. Someone dig that topic back up.

The Heat are now having bring your dog to the game nights. The only way to make that franchise successfull is by making them the Canucks affiliate. The Junior A and WHL teams in BC get more coverage than them.

I'm guessing the dogs count toward the attendance figures, then.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

+1

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

7a369311.png

How nice of the Coyotes to give away PLAYOFF tickets to what will likely be The Last Game Played At Jobing.com Arena?.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x347/AaronHD/7a369311.png

How nice of the Coyotes to give away PLAYOFF tickets to what will likely be The Last Game Played At Jobing.com Arena?.

They kept the playoff "whiteout" from Winnipeg?

Seriously?

Yeah, they've done it the last few years, and it honestly looked like they were all Red Wings' fans (although most of them probably were?)

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Seriously?

Yeah, they've done it the last few years, and it honestly looked like they were all Red Wings' fans (although most of them probably were?)

Only 500 available, and the teams a point out of tenth..... Way to give away tickets that may not exist! Or are these Quebec tickets for next season?

untitled-6.jpg

Comping playoff tickets doesn't seem very wise when you're already giving the parking away for free, but we might be in lame duck territory with today's news, anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Comping playoff tickets doesn't seem very wise when you're already giving the parking away for free, but we might be in lame duck territory with today's news, anyway.

The NHL says not so fast.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/03/nhl-is-unmoved-about-quebec-citys-arena-plans.html

Twelve days ago at the conclusion of the NHL general managers' meetings in Boca Raton, Fla., NHL commissioner Gary Bettman refused to set a deadline for a new ownership group to step forward in Phoenix.

Well why start now Gary?

Ten minutes later, Gil Stein returned to Larson and MacFarland with strange - indeed, downright disturbing - news: Ackerley had introduced himself to the BOG, then informed them that the Seattle group was withdrawing its bid for an NHL expansion franchise. Ackerley gave no reason for the about-face. Ackerley and Lear then left the boardroom through another exit, so as not to cross paths with Larson MacFarland.

MacFarland and Larson were afforded the opportunity to make their presentation, despite having no formal bid expansion application before the BOG with their names on it. NHL expansion franchises were ultimately awarded to Ottawa and Tampa Bay, though neither group ever came up with the $50 million fee that the Seattle group had said they were prepared to pay in full.

This story I do know well (and the seattletotems.org website has a lot of articles worth reading on it for people interested not only in the history of the Totems, but in the history of the PCHL/WHL). Ackerley certainly left his mark on the Seattle sports scene. He's also the one responsible for Key Arena being remodeled to exclude NHL hockey.

I'll give you another story of Seattle hockey heartbreak in return.

"The Seattle fans went berserk. "The lexicon of sport," wrote the Seattle Daily Times, "does not contain language adequate to describe the fervor of the fans." But if the Seattle faithful were expecting to catch a glimpse of the fabled Stanley Cup, they were disappointed. Not only had the Montreal Canadiens left the chalice at home, but the Mets would have to put up a $500 bond before the NHA would relinquish it to their possession. It would be another three months before any of the Seattle players could hold the Cup aloft as world champions.

Even though the physical symbol of their victory was missing for a short time, the players took pride in the fact that they had done what no other U.S. team had ever done--etched their name on the base of the Stanley Cup"

excerpted from Gary Bernklow's essay on the 1917 Seattle Metropolitans - a great and very thorough resource http://www.narhist.ewu.edu/pnf/articles/bernklow.html

It's hard for me to be objective in this whole thing, this is the first time since Ackerley that the NHL in Seattle is possible (though in all honesty remains unlikely). When it comes to hockey, we've gotten screwed time and again, from the Canadiens leaving the cup in Montreal in 1917 to the WHA debacle to Ackerley - even down to the Thunderbirds leaving for Kent.

Columbus signed a new long-term lease agreement at their arena with the specter of Seattle looming over it. Phoenix is ready to go now and Quebec is next in line for a franchise, and deservedly so. If the Islanders do stay in New York or New Jersey, that leaves only the Florida Panthers as a candidate for relocation - and that is only based on consistently poor attendance. The ownership group isn't showing much signs of faltering. As I see it, there's about a three or four year window for two or three teams to relocate, given the history of the NHL as a whole.

But barring a miracle (or, perhaps likelier, a huge bungle made by the league) the Coyotes are going to Quebec, so relocation to Seattle is off-topic for now. Carry on

nhl94vansigpng.png

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/03/nhl-is-unmoved-about-quebec-citys-arena-plans.html

Twelve days ago at the conclusion of the NHL general managers' meetings in Boca Raton, Fla., NHL commissioner Gary Bettman refused to set a deadline for a new ownership group to step forward in Phoenix.

Well why start now Gary?

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

spacer.png

Seriously?

They've done it the entire time they've been in Phoenix, there was just a big playoff lull in the middle.

I the late 90s when they were a good team (Roenick, Tkachuk, etc.), the whiteouts looked great. I don't know how fan support was during those seasons, but the fans showed up big time for the playoffs as I recall.

It's unfortunate that crappy ownership killed any momentum that fan base had.

Well why start now Gary?

Honestly though until the end of the season I don't expect the NHL to say anything positive about the Quebec plans. But now that Quebec not only has their old arena, but a new one in the pipeline it'll happen. The Coyotes have been an problem for far too long, even in TGDNHL.

Exactly. From the article:

But what do you expect the NHL to say on the record? The Coyotes situation has been an embarrassment for quite some time, and the timing would be foolish for the league to even give a hint about the latest developments or non developments in the franchise's ownership situation.

I don't remember the timeline last year, but at what point did it become clear the Thrashers would be moving instead of the Coyotes? I seem to remember us speculating they would announce the Coyotes moving between the conference finals and the Cup final. I ask because I am still somewhat anticipating an unexpected team getting moved just to keep the Coyotes there.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't remember the timeline last year, but at what point did it become clear the Thrashers would be moving instead of the Coyotes? I seem to remember us speculating they would announce the Coyotes moving between the conference finals and the Cup final. I ask because I am still somewhat anticipating an unexpected team getting moved just to keep the Coyotes there.

What unexpected team is there though this year? The Thrashers weren't totally unexpected. But there's no one else in nearly as dire a situation as they were yet.

I don't remember the timeline last year, but at what point did it become clear the Thrashers would be moving instead of the Coyotes? I seem to remember us speculating they would announce the Coyotes moving between the conference finals and the Cup final. I ask because I am still somewhat anticipating an unexpected team getting

moved just to keep the Coyotes there.

What unexpected team is there though this year? The Thrashers weren't totally unexpected. But there's no one

else in nearly as dire a situation as they were yet.

Watch it be "Les Insulaires"

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion