NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Geez, I'm so tired of the Coyotes situation. It's obvious to everyone but the NHL that Phoenix can't support a hockey team.

They are on life support and it's time to pull the plug on them.

[/mini rant]

Yeah they were flying banners over the Dodger's game at Camelback Ranch on Saturday trying to lure some spring training visitors over to the arena after Sunday's games to watch some hockey on Sunday. Found that just funny given that a large number of spring training go'ers aren't locals.

I don't remember the timeline last year, but at what point did it become clear the Thrashers would be moving instead of the Coyotes?

On May 16th, reports surfaced that True North Sports and Entertainment was negotiating to purchase the Thrashers from Atlanta Spirit Group. The NHL and True North held a joint press conference in Winnipeg on May 31st to announce that a deal to buy the Thrashers had been reached. Finally, on June 21st, the NHL Board of Governors formally approved both the sale of the Atlanta Thrashers to True North Sports and Entertainment and the relocation of the franchise to Winnipeg.

Geez, I'm so tired of the Coyotes situation. It's obvious to everyone but the NHL that Phoenix can't support a hockey team.

[/mini rant]

Yeah they were flying banners over the Dodger's game at Camelback Ranch on Saturday trying to lure some spring training visitors over to the arena after Sunday's games to watch some hockey on Sunday. Found that just funny given that a large number of spring training go'ers aren't locals.

The Blackhawks played a road game in Phoenix during spring training the last few years because of all the Cubs/Sox fans that make the visit. I can't confirm that there were Sox fans who rooted for the Coyotes because too many Cubs fans like the Blackhawks, but I can't confirm there weren't, either.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't remember the timeline last year, but at what point did it become clear the Thrashers would be moving instead of the Coyotes?

On May 16th, reports surfaced that True North Sports and Entertainment was negotiating to purchase the Thrashers from Atlanta Spirit Group. The NHL and True North held a joint press conference in Winnipeg on May 31st to announce that a deal to buy the Thrashers had been reached. Finally, on June 21st, the NHL Board of Governors formally approved both the sale of the Atlanta Thrashers to True North Sports and Entertainment and the relocation of the franchise to Winnipeg.

If memory serves, there was a Glendale City Council meeting in early May that made it official that the city would pay the $25 million to keep the Coyotes. The Thrashers-to-Winnipeg reports quickly followed.

Didn't we find out after the fact though that Atlanta's players got wind of a likely move back in February?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The CBC story has a timeline in it that follows along with what Brian in Boston posted. I wish it had been more thorough, but it starts in May.

May 16 - reports surfaced that Truth North Sports and Entertainment were negotiating a sale with Thrashers owners.

May 31 - NHL and True North hold a press conference in Winnipeg to announce that a deal to purchase the Thrashers had been reached.

June 21 - NHL board of governors formally approved the sale and move of the team to Winnipeg.

Patrick Roy is for a Nordiques return, I wonder if her could be in the running for a head coach position...

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftvasports.ca%2Ftvasports%2Fhockey%2Farchives%2F2012%2F03%2F20120326-193929.html&act=url

"I understand that the first priority of the people of the League is to first keep the market as it is currently. By cons, as and as failures accumulate in some areas, the relocation may be a possibility, "said Roy in an interview with Sports VAT.

On the Remparts, they have already signed a lease until the 2014-2015 season to play their home games at the Pepsi Coliseum today. When asked if his team will play in the new arena, the former star goalie at first thought, however, dream of a new professional team to settle in Quebec.

"Honestly, we all want an NHL team plays there. Even if it will hurt us, we appreciate what the supporters have given us all these years. We tried to please people and want to give the young people to play hockey, "said he.

baltimoreravens.png

Asbestos Investigation Underway at Nassau Coliseum

State inspectors began an asbestos investigation at Nassau Coliseum Friday, prompted by complaints from workers, a state department of Labor spokesman said.

About a dozen workers told NBC New York that several areas of the more than 4-year-old [sic] arena are covered with what they believe is dangerous asbestos. Photos provided by their lawyer showed a white substance on the floor and walls of the coliseum's boiler room.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Asbestos-Investigation-Nassau-Coliseum-Islanders-Long-Island.html

Oh, crap.

Please hold off until the Coyotes have moved, please hold off until the Coyotes have moved, please hold off until the Coyotes have moved...

Wonder if they'll reconsider sharing the arena in Brooklyn at least temporarily?

State inspectors began an asbestos investigation at Nassau Coliseum Friday, prompted by complaints from workers, a state department of Labor spokesman said.

About a dozen workers told NBC New York that several areas of the more than 4-year-old [sic] arena are covered with what they believe is dangerous asbestos. Photos provided by their lawyer showed a white substance on the floor and walls of the coliseum's boiler room.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Asbestos-Investigation-Nassau-Coliseum-Islanders-Long-Island.html

Well what do expect with an arena that's more than 4-years-old?

There's a city in Quebec named Asbestos. Such a move wouldn't help them get away from their problem at all!

I don't think the Nassau Coliseum is long for this world, but that doesn't mean the Islanders are similarly doomed. They're worth too much where they are.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

[/mini rant]

The Blackhawks played a road game in Phoenix during spring training the last few years because of all the Cubs/Sox fans that make the visit. I can't confirm that there were Sox fans who rooted for the Coyotes because too many Cubs fans like the Blackhawks, but I can't confirm there weren't, either.

The Coyotes also had A.J. Pierzynski ( :censored: ) do a ceremonial puck drop at a spring Hawks/Yotes game last season.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Oh, crap.

Please hold off until the Coyotes have moved, please hold off until the Coyotes have moved, please hold off until the Coyotes have moved...

You know what? I think I know how that asbestos got there...

a_bettman_i.jpg

...but he won't tell you that. :P

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Didn't we find out after the fact though that Atlanta's players got wind of a likely move back in February?

Yes. The word was that Dustin Byfuglien signed his contract extension with the Thrashers (on February 15th) because he was told by ownership that all signs pointed to the team moving to Winnipeg, bringing him back closer to home where he could drunkenly boat about and whatnot. To some degree, this might also explain the bottom dropping out of the team's performance during that February.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.