NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Here's a good plan for the Isles:

Thay should tear down Nassau and then build a new arena on the site of the old one. Then, the Isles can play in Brooklyn for the 2-3 years it takes to build the new arena.

They dont need to do that, there is nothing around the Coliseum plenty of space to build a new arena, while still playing at the Coliseum.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Considering the Coliseum is only accessible by car, will there still be enough parking available for the old and new buildings to co-exist?

Actually, come to think of it, that's precisely why they shouldn't build right next to the existing Coliseum. That you can have that sort of venue in Greater New York with no public transit is stunning. They need to get it right this time and build on the Long Island Rail Road.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Canadiens cancelled their preseason game at the Colisee. Another piece of the puzzle.

They also fired Pierre Gauthier, and Patrick Roy wants to get back into the NHL. Questionable piece of the puzzle.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/architects-of-glendale-pro-sports-disaster-wont-be-around-for-fallout/article2384632/

The politician and the bureaucrat are leaving behind a debt of almost $1-billion (all currency U.S.) for the city of 250,000, much of it created by the decisions to build an arena for the NHL’s Phoenix Coyotes (and to spend more than $50-million propping up the team) and a spring-training complex for Major League Baseball’s Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago White Sox.

I was thinking, "whoa, that's not good," then my eyes caught something on the sidebar:

Anthony LeBlanc and his group of businessmen once known as Ice Edge Holdings are back in the Phoenix hockey picture.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Does Milwaukee belong to the Blackhawks, or is it just that sharing an arena between NBA and NHL teams is a pain in the ass?

The Blackhawks blocked a Milwaukee expansion team in the 80s, but I think things have changed enough since then that the 'Hawks wouldn't be an issue.

The problem seems to be that Milwaukee's just not big enough for both the NBA and NHL.

...at least not when we already support NFL and MLB franchises.

With all this talk about the NHL and Milwaukee, I nearly forgot that they have an NBA team.

So have most of us who actually live here :P

Does Milwaukee belong to the Blackhawks, or is it just that sharing an arena between NBA and NHL teams is a pain in the ass?

It doesn't "belong" to anyone, though the Blackhawks would do well to squat on Milwaukee and Madison as best they can if there's not going to be a team there.

The Wild have some of their games on FS Wisconsin now... not sure how long they've been doing that for, but that alone should be enough to kill the Blackhawks claim of having a stake in Milwaukee should that come up again.

The Canadiens cancelled their preseason game at the Colisee. Another piece of the puzzle.

They also fired Pierre Gauthier, and Patrick Roy wants to get back into the NHL. Questionable piece of the puzzle.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/architects-of-glendale-pro-sports-disaster-wont-be-around-for-fallout/article2384632/

The politician and the bureaucrat are leaving behind a debt of almost $1-billion (all currency U.S.) for the city of 250,000, much of it created by the decisions to build an arena for the NHL?s Phoenix Coyotes (and to spend more than $50-million propping up the team) and a spring-training complex for Major League Baseball?s Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago White Sox.

I was thinking, "whoa, that's not good," then my eyes caught something on the sidebar:

Anthony LeBlanc and his group of businessmen once known as Ice Edge Holdings are back in the Phoenix hockey picture.

I don't think this bodes well for Les Coyotes

Only this time it is not to make an ownership bid on the financially moribund Phoenix Coyotes but to manage Jobing.com Arena in suburban Glendale and try to bring in a minor-league hockey team if the Coyotes move to another city this summer.

Perhaps this also doesn't bode well for the Abbotsford Heat...

nhl94vansigpng.png

I agree Brooklyn is always an option, but only for the short-term. They'd need to have the arena deal in place before moving in to a facility with such a limited capacity, lest they be stuck there.

Tickets for the Islanders-Devils exhibition game went on sale today - here's the seating map on the ticket page:

42783s_a.gif

I still can't believe they built an arena in New York City metro too small to accommodate every type of event that utilizes arenas. I don't just mean hockey either. Now you have fewer seats for concerts, you don't have room for motocross or monster trucks or the circus. Not that monster trucks are a big draw in New York, but why not leave open the possibility? It seems so stupidly shortsighted.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I agree Brooklyn is always an option, but only for the short-term. They'd need to have the arena deal in place before moving in to a facility with such a limited capacity, lest they be stuck there.

Tickets for the Islanders-Devils exhibition game went on sale today - here's the seating map on the ticket page:

42783s_a.gif

I still can't believe they built an arena in New York City metro too small to accommodate every type of event that utilizes arenas. I don't just mean hockey either. Now you have fewer seats for concerts, you don't have room for motocross or monster trucks or the circus. Not that monster trucks are a big draw in New York, but why not leave open the possibility? It seems so stupidly shortsighted.

I just looked up the arena on Wikipedia and concerts seat 19 000

Which team will be gone faster: the Islanders or the Coyotes?

I do not want to see the Yotes go, but it is so sad that nobody cares out here.

Moving them from Downtown to the West Valley was one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen a sports franchise make. Killed their attendance numbers, and in turn, their following (at least from what I can tell). Nice to have the arena 15 minutes away from me, but for someone coming from the likes of Chandler/Gilbert, it takes an hour and a half to two hours to get to the damned arena in rush hour traffic (conveniently when all the games start).

I'll be sad if they leave, but only for the same reason most hockey fans out here would be: i don't get to see my favorite team play the Coyotes live 2-3 times a year.

I'll be sad if they leave, but only for the same reason most hockey fans out here would be: i don't get to see my favorite team play the Coyotes live 2-3 times a year.

And that, in a nutshell, is the real problem.

They're not the only one with that problem. I was in Anaheim last night and the crowd was very evenly split between Sharks and Ducks fans despite neither team being out of the playoff hunt yet, and it was nowhere near a sell out. I was shocked based on how popular the Ducks were just a few years ago.

The Ducks were out of the playoff hunt. (insert Duck Hunt image here)

San José had a fair amount of Kings fans last April when I was up there for a game, but you wouldn't have heard them because the Sharks won 6-1.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

And that, in a nutshell, is the real problem.

They're not the only one with that problem. I was in Anaheim last night and the crowd was very evenly split between Sharks and Ducks fans despite neither team being out of the playoff hunt yet, and it was nowhere near a sell out. I was shocked based on how popular the Ducks were just a few years ago.

Well, I mean, the two teams are from the same state and the Ducks are in a down year. Of course there's gonna be a good chunk of Sharks fans in there.

The Coyotes' problem is that they probably could win the Stanley Cup this season and still have trouble selling out games next season, should they somehow still be there next season.

The Coyotes' problem is that they probably could win the Stanley Cup this season and still have trouble selling out games next season, should they somehow still be there next season.

and on the way to that Stanley Cup, most of their home games will have road crowds.

42783s_a.gif

Three words: Madison. Square. Garden.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.