NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Here is a question what will the NHL do and Glendale do if the Coyotes go on a long run in the playoffs, and with the way Mike Smith is playing it is very possible.

Move the team to Quebec and combine the victory parade with the new team parade while citing the fact that the team showed a massive loss despite making the Conference Finals as reason why they should give up on the market.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm a passionate fan.

Especially after I lost the Thrashers last year.

Boy, you need to get better at choosing teams!

His other teams, the Islanders and Blue Jackets, are keeping him honest.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Can you really move them now? After a division championship against all odds?

Well, the NHL is the league that saw the Quebec Nordiques relocate to Denver in time for the 1995-96 season after winning the Northeast Division title in 1994-95. ;)

...and go on to win the Stanley Cup the next year.

Fair enough, you wouldn't think it would happen again.

I'm a passionate fan.

Especially after I lost the Thrashers last year.

Boy, you need to get better at choosing teams!

I know, right? Being a Phoenix sports fan living in Atlanta is highly dangerous if you also happen to like hockey.

I find it quite interesting that last week, there were no owners and no one knowing anything and the mayor breaking bad on the NHL. Now, the Coyotes are in the playoffs, and we've never been closer! And it just so happens we've never been closer to a guy who still owns an NHL team but is heading an investment group that can't raise the money for the team, let alone the arena and strip mall he says he wants to buy. The extent to which this league insults its fans and turns them against each other is astounding, just to sell a few more playoff tickets and retain a thoroughly unconvincing illusion of control.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My favorite feature of Citizens Bank Park is the 360 concourse with full view of the action from anywhere. I never even thought about something like that being built into an indoor arena like that. That's f'ing fantastic, and will make most if not all of the indoor arenas built in the past 20 years obsolete in due time.

As maligned as New Comiskey Park was (I use that name to refer to the pre-renovation park), it was the first of the parks to feature a 360 concourse view. That was one of the few things they got correct off the bat.

Well, the NHL is the league that saw the Quebec Nordiques relocate to Denver in time for the 1995-96 season after winning the Northeast Division title in 1994-95. ;)

It would be fitting and LOL-inducing if the Nordiques won the Cup next year after moving from Glendale.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

My favorite feature of Citizens Bank Park is the 360 concourse with full view of the action from anywhere. I never even thought about something like that being built into an indoor arena like that. That's f'ing fantastic, and will make most if not all of the indoor arenas built in the past 20 years obsolete in due time.

As maligned as New Comiskey Park was (I use that name to refer to the pre-renovation park), it was the first of the parks to feature a 360 concourse view. That was one of the few things they got correct off the bat.

It would be fitting and LOL-inducing if the Nordiques won the Cup next year after moving from Glendale.

The NHL equivalent of the Browns/Ravens, except nobody in Glendale will even remember they had a hockey franchise.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

My favorite feature of Citizens Bank Park is the 360 concourse with full view of the action from anywhere. I never even thought about something like that being built into an indoor arena like that. That's f'ing fantastic

The Rock is built like that... Open concourse with a direct view of the ice from anywhere...

Quebec City Officials have been to the Rock often and have taken many aspects in the design of their building. Last year one game the Devils invited a bunch of Nordique fans and gave them an entire section.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

So it sounds like it'll be a cross between Pittsburgh's and Jersey's arenas, then. That'll be nice. Colisee's not too shabby in the meantime, unless you're in the ends of the upper deck, which might be a little dicey.

My favorite feature of Citizens Bank Park is the 360 concourse with full view of the action from anywhere. I never even thought about something like that being built into an indoor arena like that. That's f'ing fantastic

The Rock is built like that... Open concourse with a direct view of the ice from anywhere...

I only saw the open viewing area from the end zones. I remember the sidelines being enclosed like most other arenas. Is the open viewing just in the balconies?

Tsongas Center in Lowell, Mass was originally built like that (except for the concourse behind the press & luxury boxes) until they blocked off one end with a giant "club" room.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I only saw the open viewing area from the end zones. I remember the sidelines being enclosed like most other arenas. Is the open viewing just in the balconies?

Tsongas Center in Lowell, Mass was originally built like that (except for the concourse behind the press & luxury boxes) until they blocked off one end with a giant "club" room.

Well the Rock has the Fire and Ice Lounges which are open on the sides but only available to certain ticket holders.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

What the inside will look like...

Gotta admit, that's impressive, now if they can just get a team.

LOVE that video! Yeah, the arena looks nice, but I love how they kept it all generic for the first two minutes like it could be any old hockey league and then in the last five seconds they just couldn't hold back anymore. :hockeysmiley:

aaaand the terms of the "deal" are out, and it's the same old dead-in-the-water subsidy crap proposed by Ice Edge, Reinsdorf, and Hulsizer, if not worse, as per the Globe & Mail:

While the numbers, which include a sale price, $40-million (all currency U.S.) in up-front money from Glendale plus annual fees as high as $16-million paid to Jamison for operating Jobing.com Arena, could not be confirmed, they do not support the optimism that once again surrounds the long-running soap opera. The proposed sale price of $140-million calls for a bigger haircut than the NHL was ever willing to concede and the money Glendale is expected to kick in is much more than the cash-strapped city can afford.

So Jamison's group, which allegedly has designs on buying the entire Westgate strip mall out of foreclosure, would pay $100 million of $140 million for the team, Glenderp would gift Jamison the other $40 million to help with the purchase, and then pay his group $16 million a year to "manage the arena," even though the mayor herself just proved such an amount to be well below fair market value for arena management.

Obvious questions:

1) If these guys can barely scrounge up the funds to buy the team, how do we expect them to operate the team, which loses millions a year? It's the proverbial Ferrari that can never stand to leave the driveway, except this is more of a Ford Fiesta.

2) If Glendale can't afford the $25 million it owes for this year's subsidy, and can't afford to operate its police/fire departments, libraries, and park district, such that they're begging the NHL for a "payment plan" on the money the NHL already has the right to take without a hitch, where are they getting this money to further subsidize the team right now and for years to come?

3) After word has leaked from several of the 29 owners that Gary promised them they would recoup all their Phoenix losses and they were sick of throwing money away, why would they now agree to sell the team for a sum that's not only less than what they paid and lost along the way, and not only less than the $170MM they'd been sticking to all along, but now go all the way down to what they paid for in bankruptcy court, with three years' worth of losses completely hung on them? Furthermore, with so many other teams in financial peril, why would they agree to allow franchise values to drop like this?

In short, I smell a smoke screen.