NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

What's even more annoying than the fact that the fans who stand to benefit from Glendale's taxes going up and employees being fired live and spend money in far more affluent municipalities is their whole cavalier attitude about not supporting the team.

"Do you go to games?"

"I won't go until I know who the owner is."

"But they might move!"

"Nah, because Big Daddy Gary Bettman says we're his special little guys and he's not going to let that happen."

Meanwhile, some neighborhood kids won't get to go swimming this summer. That's okay, though, because sports.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

We need to keep the team here so that we can encourage people to go to our strip mall.

*raises sales tax to highest in the country*

No, it's all the way foreclosed. It's half empty, but then again rumor has it I'm a little bit of a pessimist when it comes to this thing.

Hehe, apparently so.

"Hey, the Coyotes going on a run to save the team is just like a sports movie! Yay!"

Only that once the credits roll Glendale's still facing financial ruin because Gary can't bare to let them leave.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/moyes-assails-nhl-over-coyotes-operations/article2423845/?utm_medium=Feeds:%20RSS/Atom&utm_source=Hockey&utm_content=2423845&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The former owner of the Phoenix Coyotes has lashed out at the NHL in court for trying to make him cover all the losses the league has incurred since buying the club out of bankruptcy nearly three years ago.

Arizona businessman Jerry Moyes is demanding that the NHL explain why it didn?t move the Coyotes to Winnipeg, Quebec City or Seattle instead of keeping the team in Phoenix and piling up losses.

Somebody cue the music...

baltimoreravens.png

Arizona businessman Jerry Moyes is demanding that the NHL explain why it didn?t move the Coyotes to Winnipeg, Quebec City or Seattle instead of keeping the team in Phoenix and piling up losses.

It is an excellent question.

And if they're going after him, the situation must be even more dire than we thought. Owner revolt against Bettman?

Owner revolt against Bettman?

You'd need to get all the power brokers united against him. The Molsons, MLSE, Wirtz, Comcast, Ilitch, and Dolan at the very least. With them it's a two way street. On one hand they're apparently losing A LOT of money keeping the Great Arizona Hockey Experiment alive, and you have to think they're getting tired of it. On the other hand they are the few NHL owners who can afford to piss away that kind of cash to maintain the status quo.

Arizona businessman Jerry Moyes is demanding that the NHL explain why it didn’t move the Coyotes to Winnipeg, Quebec City or Seattle instead of keeping the team in Phoenix and piling up losses.

It really is. The Coyotes had no real ownership prospects last year (I still doubt they have any this year), and Atlanta had an ownership group, granted one that wanted out. It seems like the logical thing to do would have been to get the Coyotes off the league's hands by selling to TNSE and sending them back to Winnipeg while convincing ASG to stick around for a few more years until a buyer could be lined up, either in Atlanta or elsewhere.

Yet it was the team with an owner that was sent packing so the team without one could remain without one. What kind of sense does that make?

You got me.

I'm wondering if the NHL suing Moyes for the Coyotes' expenses since the league bought them means that the other owners have finally had enough of writing checks to the desert orphans. I always figured that would be the breaking point; eventually the owners of teams in successful markets would balk at giving one more cent to keep a failed team afloat.

If Bettman is trying to raise the cash, that could be why. Recoup those losses and maybe the owners will let him keep his pet project in Arizona a little while longer.

It really is. The Coyotes had no real ownership prospects last year (I still doubt they have any this year), and Atlanta had an ownership group, granted one that wanted out. It seems like the logical thing to do would have been to get the Coyotes off the league's hands by selling to TNSE and sending them back to Winnipeg while convincing ASG to stick around for a few more years until a buyer could be lined up, either in Atlanta or elsewhere.

Yet it was the team with an owner that was sent packing so the team without one could remain without one. What kind of sense does that make?

Exactly, at least Atlanta could have survived another year or two. They needed to pull the plug on Phoenix. It's just really stupid.

OITGDNHL

Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs thinks "Phoenix is a Dallas".

I think Mr. Jacobs fails to realize that Glendale isn't a Phoenix.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

No, Atlanta couldn't have survived. The Inner Sanctum of Retards basically evicted their own team after years of wanting to get out of the hockey business. I don't think they could've been persuaded to hang on any longer. Besides, if the team were to have stayed under new ownership, they would have been paying rent and collecting little/no ancillary revenues, something no new owner was willing to do for blatantly self-evident reasons. Unlike the situation in Clown College, there was no magic subsidy to keep them at the city-owned arena. Atlanta Spirit had the master lease to the building and they said gtfo. If not for True North, the team very well might have folded altogether.

As for Bill Wirtz Lite, I'm sure he'll change his tune if Quebecor negotiates a big fat concessions contract with Delaware North.

Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs thinks "Phoenix is a Dallas".

I think Mr. Jacobs fails to realize that Glendale isn't a Phoenix.

The :censored: ?

Dallas had financial trouble because Tom Hicks was under the very mistaken impression that you could own crap solely through creative manipulation of debt and handing out reams of IOUs.

Phoenix had/has financial trouble because Arizonans can't be motivated to watch NHL hockey for pennies on the dollar in numbers that are viable.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Anybody check the latest version of the Wikipedia entry on Glendale, AZ? The Coyotes are mentioned right near the top of the article, but it says nothing about the debacle that is going on with their (and the city's) finances.

:censored: ambulances. Drive your own damn self to the hospital!

Ambulances aren't funded by the government. Ambulance costs are included in medical bills.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

:censored: ambulances. Drive your own damn self to the hospital!

Ambulances aren't funded by the government. Ambulance costs are included in medical bills.

Whatever. Insert other stuff then. Same result.