NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

I said "it's not that liberals hate hockey" right at the top of the page, though. It's just a certain type of content consumer who has serious objections to the culture of hockey, especially vis-a-vis basketball and soccer.

It's weird how hockey inspires equal parts unwavering adoration and bitter hatred. It's such a simple game. You put the play implement into a goal at either end of a rectangle. It doesn't have to be anything bigger than what it is. I enjoy hockey games immensely without giving the slightest consideration to race relations in America.

I dunno... soccer is as much of a sport for privileged suburban kids in America as hockey (unless you're Latino) and even if the majority of NHL clubs are based in America, most of its players are Canadian or European, so you'd expect it to get a pass on its perceived "monochromism." I'd expect that demographic to hate the shameless, stereotype-perpetuating marketing tool that is the NBA, if anything.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2011/07/22/20110722phoenix-coyote-season-ticket-sales-up.html

I know it's old but it's worth noting if nothing else:

As of July 1, the team sold more than 1,000 new season tickets, putting them in the top five in the National Hockey League, Nealy said.
The Coyotes also saw more season-ticket renewals than ever, Nealy said.

The team reported that more than 90 percent of last year's season-ticket holders have renewed for the 2011-12 season, a franchise record.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

And they'll get to witness a team significantly worse than the one no one's watched the past two years, since their only notable offseason moves have been retaining Yandle and Vrbata.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't really understand it. They got swept out by the Red Wings. They lost their franchise goaltender. They're going to be worse than last year.

But this is a good thing for Coyotes fans. Now those tickets sold need to actually show up, but it's a good thing. It shows some improvement. It gives the NHL more reason to try and keep the team there.

The problem for the relocation advocates is that this gives Gary Bettman another crutch to lean on. Bettman can point to the increase in ticket numbers as the strength of the market and draw this out a little longer despite the financial losses.

If this shows someone that the Coyotes are a good investment and a deal gets done to keep them here. Great.

If this doesn't really matter, and the Coyotes are still a sink hole that someone buys to bring to greener pastures. Great.

Just get this over with.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2011/07/22/20110722phoenix-coyote-season-ticket-sales-up.html

I know it's old but it's worth noting if nothing else:

As of July 1, the team sold more than 1,000 new season tickets, putting them in the top five in the National Hockey League, Nealy said.
The Coyotes also saw more season-ticket renewals than ever, Nealy said.

The team reported that more than 90 percent of last year's season-ticket holders have renewed for the 2011-12 season, a franchise record.

Let me guess. Cardinal season ticket holders get an 85% discount on Coyotes tickets. And current season ticket holders merely had to check the "Please sir, I'd like some more" box to get free renewals.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah, there's obviously some kind of deep discount or something going on. Also consider that they can lead the league in new STHs when others can't because the good teams all maxed out their season tickets while the Coyotes have (virtually) nowhere to go but up. It's also entirely possible that they're lying.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What was last year's total? Because, let's just say that they had 5,000 last year. That's only a net increase of 500.

1000 new STHs, top 5 in NHL, 90% renewal rate.

Great.

All of that sounds like spin to distract from the fact that they didn't mention the only number that actually matters. How many season ticket holders are there?

They could spin it any way they want, but the fact remains, the team has no owner and the city is paying the bills. At this point, positive articles about season tickets, particularly one that avoids giving the real number, just seems disingenuous.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Bill 204 is going through in Quebec City...

http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles/les-voeux-du-maire-labeaume-exauces-91816.html

(CKAC Sports) - The Liberal government will move forward with Bill 204, and this, when Parliament resumes in September.

"It will be early, said Jean-Marc Fournier, Government House Leader. I can not tell you what will happen in the first 15 minutes, but it will at first. "

"Law 204, we want to resolve it as quickly as possible, said Sam Hamad, head of the Quebec City area. There were studies, the committee. The questions were asked, now we move on to adoption. "

The mayor of Quebec City Régis Labeaume urge members to pass his bill several weeks ago.

The agreement in principle that links the city to Quebecor expires on September 7.

baltimoreravens.png

If I were a Stars fan I would be awfully worried right about now....

My link

The contractual facts: The Dallas Stars have a contractual obligation (Non-Relocation Agreement) with the AAC lenders that would prevent the team from being moved until at least 2023. The Stars also have a Location Agreement with the City of Dallas that the team could not be moved until at least 2031. After that, there is a series of 10 one-year lease options that are designed to be attractive enough financially as to avert the movement of the team to a new facility during that period.

My link

The contractual facts: The Dallas Stars have a contractual obligation (Non-Relocation Agreement) with the AAC lenders that would prevent the team from being moved until at least 2023. The Stars also have a Location Agreement with the City of Dallas that the team could not be moved until at least 2031. After that, there is a series of 10 one-year lease options that are designed to be attractive enough financially as to avert the movement of the team to a new facility during that period.

In addition, don't the Stars own half of the arena?

My link

Yep. They are probably the most stable Southern team in the NHL, even after becoming a Tom Hicks victim.

My link

Yep. They are probably the most stable Southern team in the NHL, even after becoming a Tom Hicks victim.

And don't forget just plain sucking lately.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Speaking of, I don't follow it closely enough, but is there any fire to the rumors that Greenberg and Cuban were going to put together a bid? I haven't followed hockey since the 90s, but I like Chuck and I might carry a passing interest in something he's involved in.

I think he was joking that Bettman would toss them to Quebec as he did the Thrashers to Winnipeg to save his precious Coyotes, who were a far bigger problem than either team.

This.

The Stars have an ownership situation. If Quebecor comes in looking to buy the Coyotes to move them to Quebec City then it wouldn't surprise me to see Bettman toss them the Stars (or any other team with ownership and/or money problems) to save his desert-based government funded ego trip.