NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Ergo, they just might do it.

Admiral's pretty much nailed the entire issue in two sentences.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Frankly I think we need to get off the NHL's back. Not saying Phoneix hasn't been an ongoing trainwreck of epic proportions, but it's also not the only trainwreck in the big 4 right now. Looks at the disaster the Maloofs are making out of Sacramento? OITGDNBA?

Has the Japanese Mafia ever owned a NBA team? Every league has its share of morons, to be sure. The NHL though? It's a special case.

As for the Sacramento Kings entering NHL territory when it comes to bad business, I don't know about that. I don't think they're there yet. So far, they've just unfolded the map. We haven't had the Maloofs offer to sell to the team A Secret Mystery Owner not once but thrice. Incidentally, can you imagine Bettman taking the Glendale act to Newark? Go tell Cory Booker you need to hit his city up for $25 million in "arena management fees" while you put the finishing touches on a deal with a secret mystery owner whose name cannot be mentioned at this time. That'll go over well, I'm sure of it.

No, that's never going to happen. Now the Maloofs unwittingly allowing Anaheim Ducks owner Henry Samueli to Trojan Horse his way into NBA franchise ownership without going through the league's vetting process...that certainly appears to be the plan. Only it's a :censored: ty plan because everybody except the Maloofs know it's the plan and rather than tow the damn thing into the city walls the NBA's dusting off the "Achaean flambe" recipe in its cookbooks.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That article offers an intriguing alternative that I haven't seen being discussed here (probably): Folding the Coyotes, and collect an expansion fee from either Quebec City or Seattle (although the SODO Arena has hit a snag.) It obviously makes the NHL more money, and it means that whoever (more than likely Quebec City) can bide their time until their new arena is running.

I suppose folding the Coyotes would be the most logical thing to do. After all you'd want the "new" Nordiques to start fresh rather than tie them into the history of their long-time WHA rival.

That article offers an intriguing alternative that I haven't seen being discussed here (probably): Folding the Coyotes, and collect an expansion fee from either Quebec City or Seattle (although the SODO Arena has hit a snag.) It obviously makes the NHL more money, and it means that whoever (more than likely Quebec City) can bide their time until their new arena is running.

I suppose folding the Coyotes would be the most logical thing to do. After all you'd want the "new" Nordiques to start fresh rather than tie them into the history of their long-time WHA rival.

No, it's the NHL, and nothing is logical, so the current WPG/PHX franchise history would have to go back to the Jets and then trade the Thrasher version of that history to Quebec for a future first round draft pick.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

No! The Jets can't trade the Thrashers' history to the new Quebec team! They're OBLIGATED to honour their illustrious past as the Atlanta Thrashers, damnit! [/whacked out Yahoo Sports rant]

Is that a joke or is there a real article saying that?

Jets_zps66b1c061.png

No! The Jets can't trade the Thrashers' history to the new Quebec team! They're OBLIGATED to honour their illustrious past as the Atlanta Thrashers, damnit! [/whacked out Yahoo Sports rant]

There was an article that, more or less, whined about the Jets not making enough of a deal about their time in Atlanta.

There was an article that, more or less, whined about the Jets not making enough of a deal about their time in Atlanta.

What's to make a big deal about? The Thrashers sucked, their owners were pathetic, and their fan support was tepid.

What's to make a big deal about? The Thrashers sucked, their owners were pathetic, and their fan support was tepid.

How would you feel if the Anaheim Kings virtually shunned the team's history in Sacramento?

The Thrashers did win a division championship, and a couple players did win some awards that the league hands out annually. It's not like nothing happened. They're a step below what the Kings have been in their time in Sacramento.....

It's not an illustrious history, but it is the franchise's history nonetheless.

But I don't really care if the Jets consider it their history or not.

How would you feel if the Anaheim Kings virtually shunned the team's history in Sacramento?

The Thrashers did win a division championship, and a couple players did win some awards that the league hands out annually. It's not like nothing happened. They're a step below what the Kings have been in their time in Sacramento.....

It's not an illustrious history, but it is the franchise's history nonetheless.

But I don't really care if the Jets consider it their history or not.

The thing is that they Jets do honour their history in Atlanta.

http://jets.nhl.com/club/gamelog.htm

http://jets.nhl.com/club/draftstats.htm

http://jets.nhl.com/club/historicalplayers.htm

Which is what made the article claiming they didn't so absurd.

They don't have that Division Championship banner hanging, but then again it's still the property of the ASG, along with the rest of the Thrashers' intellectual property. They honour their history as the Thrashers to the extent that they're legally allowed to.

No, it's the NHL, and nothing is logical, so the current WPG/PHX franchise history would have to go back to the Jets and then trade the Thrasher version of that history to Quebec for a future first round draft pick.

Also, losing a team (however temporarily) would mean the NHLPA would fight it tooth and nail, and the NHL will have its hands full negotiating a new CBA with them as it is. So unless the Quebec expansion franchise is ready to go, like, immediately, folding the Coyotes is a non-starter.

CCSLC signature.png

Hockey didn't work in Phoenix right? But why just go up north when there's plenty of warm weather markets just aching for a hockey team? We have a brand new arena in Mexico City, Mexico! I think it's time we cross the border. Mexico City Cartels is a solid name option

Manchester-City-icon.png

Hockey didn't work in Phoenix right? But why just go up north when there's plenty of warm weather markets just aching for a hockey team? We have a brand new arena in Mexico City, Mexico! I think it's time we cross the border. Mexico City Cartels is a solid name option

What.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

What do you expect?

BTW I get the impression that it wasn't Jobing.com Arena that really did Glendale in ? it was Camelback Ranch. They hoped to pay for that project with development, but that fell through. Worse yet, it's Glendale's park on Phoenix property ? the two cities split sales tax revenue from the place.

I just saw a tweet that the citizens working on getting the issue to ballot believe they have a deadline that has yet to come while many are saying their deadline has past.

I'm too lazy to dig for the whole story, so make of that what you will...

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2012/07/09/proposed-coyotes-voter-referendum.html?page=2

It'll end up in court again. The city is claiming it was 30 days from the vote and the 2008 election that governs which would mean July 9 (today) was the deadline and that 1862 signatures were needed. The GWI and the two guys they represent are saying it's 30 days from the day the emergency measure the city voted on originally was overturned which would be July 16. And they have a good argument because the emergency measure prevented referendums from overturning the vote. So no referendum could have had any effect until the day the judge invalidated the emergency measure. They're also arguing that they only need 1131 signatures because they claim the 2010 election was controlling. This'll end up in court again and who knows how the judge will vote.

It would have been better if GWI had just come up with the 1862 and turned them in today. But I hope the court will side with the GWI since the guys and GWI had 8 less days to collect signatures between the vote and the court overturning the emergency measure. However I think the city is probably right on the 2008 election and higher number controlling since the 2009 controlling state law I read states the last "city wide" election is controlling. "City wide" election being the last election where either the mayor or a councilman was up for city wide vote. Since their council is a district based council the only city wide elected member on it is the mayor (the rest of the council are voted on by their districts only). And she was last elected in 2008. But we'll see. All I know is it doesn't look like GWI turned the petition in today, but this isn't over yet.

It would have been better if GWI had just come up with the 1862 and turned them in today.

Logic: turn in the most signatures you might need for the earliest deadline.

However, logic ≠ Ken Jones, Joe Cobb, or the Goldwater Institute.