High school logo concept

Spartan24898

Hello all! This is my concept logo for a local high school. It has always annoyed me that many high schools recolor the logos of college or pro teams instead of taking the time to design their own. This particular school currently uses the Boise State University logo. The school nickname is the Mavericks. I wanted to design a logo that is unique to the school, but at the same time, I didn't want to deviate 100% from the Boise logo, because I do think it works well for the school. This was challenging because I tried to keep the general pose of the Boise logo while at the same time differentiating the logo enough so that it wasn't too similar.

My goal is to send this in to the high school at some point once I have a finalized logo, and I would love some C&C on how I can improve this. It is hand drawn, so updates may take me a little while. Thanks!

Milford%20Logo%202_zps5ch0z0kk.jpg?t=143

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

I really like this. Definetly not a Boise State ripoff, and nice subliminated MAVS in the mane.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

The eye/forehead/ear region looks a little disproportionate. I think that area needs to be moved down a bit, and the ear looks kinda small. I do like the Mavs in the mane, but it's not super clear that that's what it says (I couldn't figure it out until I read jrcollis714's post).

I like it though! I can see the Boise inspiration, but I don't think it's too close or a ripoff. I like the expression a lot, it's perfect for a high school.

I really like the logo, but I'd remove the word from the mane.. The horse image already represents the "mavs" nickname, so it's a bit redundant.. Text/letters should be reserved for school names IMO.. I'd just drop the text altogether and I think it would remove any cheesy-ness from the logo.. Mainly because the logo is so good, I think adding unnecessary elements like that actually bring it down.. Just my two cents though

I really like the logo, but I'd remove the word from the mane.. The horse image already represents the "mavs" nickname, so it's a bit redundant.. Text/letters should be reserved for school names IMO.. I'd just drop the text altogether and I think it would remove any cheesy-ness from the logo.. Mainly because the logo is so good, I think adding unnecessary elements like that actually bring it down.. Just my two cents though

I understand what you're saying, but the "mavs" in the mane was my starting point for designing this logo, I wanted to give it something a little unique instead of just being another generic horse head logo. I could try making it a little more subtle, but I'm not sure if that's the best idea, because people like suplauren are already saying they're having trouble seeing it.

4vAzk2u.png

Like I said, having the text of the mascot/nickname hidden within a picture of that mascot/nickname is just redundant and kinda corny for me.. Not to mention, if you've ever looked at groups of stock logos, that's the exact sort of thing that you'll find in many "generic" logos.. To me, the letters actually make it appear cheaper and more generic, which is a shame since you have such a great logo.. Your logo is good enough to stand alone and build a brand around without having to spoon-feed the whole "Mavs" thing to people.. You've done a great job with this logo, and in a few years, it's strong enough to never be mistaken as anything else, so there's no need to cheapen it with the hidden text.. I'd suggest putting those efforts into some great unique wordmarks for "Mavs" and the school name, instead of worrying about the best way to fit it the mane.. You're obviously talented enough, and I think it would make for a much stronger brand than trying to mash everything all into one logo.. Don't get me wrong though, I'm a huge fan of what you've got so far.. Great work!

Maybe the school's initials could be used instead of Mavs? I don't mind hidden symbolism, but I think it works better if it's not spelling out the mascot.

I agree.. I'm not a huge fan of blatantly "hidden" symbolism at all, just because as I've said, I feel it cheapens the look.. But I'd much prefer the school name/initials if you were Hell-bent on forcing letters in there.. I just can't imagine why anyone would want to distort any part of such a gorgeous logo..

And for what it's worth, if you're dead-set on keeping the "Mavs", I originally thought it was the school name, and thought it was "Maus..r..y??" I definitely wasn't reading it as "mavs" because there's significantly more mane with similar strokes, so I thought the word continued.. I'd address that IFF you're dead-set on keeping it, but I'd nix it altogether because that logo is a beauty

Maybe the school's initials could be used instead of Mavs? I don't mind hidden symbolism, but I think it works better if it's not spelling out the mascot.

I agree.. I'm not a huge fan of blatantly "hidden" symbolism at all, just because as I've said, I feel it cheapens the look.. But I'd much prefer the school name/initials if you were Hell-bent on forcing letters in there.. I just can't imagine went anyone would want to distort any part of such a gorgeous logo..

And for what it's worth, if you're dead-set on keeping the "Mavs", I originally thought it was the school name, and thought it was "Maus..r..y??" I definitely wasn't reading it as "mavs" because there's significantly more mane with similar strokes, so I thought the word continued.. I'd address that IFF you're dead-set on keeping it, but I'd nix it altogether because that logo is a beauty

As they've mentioned, maybe remove "mavs" from the mane. With that being said, I noticed you already have a base to add a hidden M into the neck area. Forgive my quick, crude attempt, but just adjust some of the lines in the neck area as I did here, to add a less-obvious hidden letter.

foovba.jpg

bufg.png

Thank you all for your input. I think I'm gonna try a version with the school initials in the mane and one with no hidden words at all and see which one I like better. I'll post them both when I finish.

4vAzk2u.png

Archived