Question on Rams' throwbacks...

Slater

The RedSkins had heat pressed numbers until the late 90s...was it adidas who finally changed that for them?

Hmm. It looks like Adidas changed them in its last year (2001). Deion had heat-pressed numbers in 2000 for his only season with the Redskins. The Cowboys had appliqued numbers as early as 2001.

Actually, it looks like the Chargers shared that title with the Bills. The Chargers had heat pressed numbers through the end of Adidas and made the switch in 2002.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

2001? Late to the party. The Packers brought back sewn numbers in 1994 for their blue throwbacks, and adopted them on the regular jerseys one year later.

What was the first team to move away from screen-printed numbers? Or was there a team that never adopted them in the first place?

The Seahawks, AFAIK, had a mix of heat pressed numbers and sewn on nameplates in 1993, and then the following year changed the typefaces on both the names and numerals, and switched to tackle-twill characters for both; the Seahawk logo on the sleeves remained screened on until the end of that uniform's run in 2001.

The Chiefs, according to their website, used heat-pressed numbers/names from 1970 to 1993.

UBwef0L.png

The bigger issue for me with the stripes was that they were just out-of-place on that uniform, regardless of color. Solid gold pants would have worked better. The Titans have the same issue today.

I disagree, especially about the Titans, who just need to put the stripes from their white pants on the helmets. The solution for those Rams jerseys was to make the numbers white. There was enough yellow on the shoulders. Plus, stripeless pants are amateurish and those Rams pants looked great on their own.

Oh, I don't think we disagree about the Titans. Matching stripes on the helmets makes them okay on the pants. My point was that they need to match the helmet, one way or another. As for the Rams, there's nothing about the jersey or the helmet that goes with racing stripes, regardless of color. Yes, the pants look fine on their own, but not with that jersey and helmet.

Archived