US Bank buys New Vikings Stadium naming rights for 220 million dollars

ECUFan25

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd much rather have corperate sponsors with their name on the stadiums than on the uniforms. I the the US does it the right way. Fubol/Soccer kits with sponsors all over them are disgusting.

Don't we all?

If only it was an either/or.

Yep. It's not. When this jersey ad stuff came up about the NBA, some people claimed "soccer teams only do it because they don't have commercials mid-game." No. They do it because they can, and because the fans don't get upset by it anymore. Each football team could play in Team Founder Stadium with no manufacturer logos or ads on jerseys and still make loads of money. But the players and owners would make less than they do now, so that's not an option. We'll keep getting corporate stadium names even after the American leagues relent and turn the uniforms into NASCAR jumpsuits. And we'll eventually get on-screen scorebug advertising and enough on-field ads to make a NHL rink look tame. Which reminds me - I hardly notice the on-ice ads in the NHL, and that's because I'm used to them.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Along those same lines, the first MLB stadium in many years to have ads on the outfield walls was Camden Yards. No one complained about it looking bad in 1992, because it was kind of retro . . . and now most of us don't notice the ads on walls all over MLB (in fair and foul territory) . . .

. . . except the Chick-fil-A ad on the foul pole at Minute Maid Park. That thing bugs the :censored: out of me.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

. . . except the Chick-fil-A ad on the foul pole at Minute Maid Park. That thing bugs the :censored: out of me.

I don't really notice it on tv anymore but when in person it looks so incredibly tacky. It's only redeeming quality is if an astros player hits the pole everyone in attendance gets free Chick-fil-A

And actually, I call it "the Cell". I think I begrudgingly accepted the name largely because the renovations done with the money drastically changed the park and made the experience so much better. I associate New Comiskey with the giant blue upper deck and sterility. Plus, it was a bit of a slight to the original park to associate the blue elephant with that name.

The renovations look better, for the most part. Too bad they didn't go with the lime green seats from the end of Old Comiskey instead of forest green like everyone else does. I wish they had done something non-vine-related for the batter's eye, too.

I'm thinking of going behind enemy lines and attending a White Sox game this summer, just to see what it's like. I'm not gonna wear my Cubs hat in the neighborhood, though; I did that once and someone called me a fag. I don't know what I was expecting.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On a related but separate note, the Sacramento Kings new arena will be the Golden 1 Center, named for Golden 1 Credit Union, which is apparently the sixth largest credit union in the country.

http://www.nba.com/kings/news/06162015-press-release

The sixth largest credit union is actually pretty small (in terms of total assets, Golden 1 might be the smallest entity that has naming rights in the Big 4)...and it's weird that a credit union would spend money like this based on the basic parameters of credit union ownership.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

For all the folks complaining, this is par for the course. At least "US Bank Stadium" doesn't make me unintentionally break out in laughter like "KFC Yum! Center" still does.

For some reason it doesn't sound quite so bad on some stadiums as it does others (Great American Ballpark - it wasn't until I moved to the mid-South that I realized that's a corporate-sponsored name.)

If having stadiums named after sponsors keeps the NFL from turning into the CFL with ads on the actual turf/grass, I'm all for it.

The renovations look better, for the most part. Too bad they didn't go with the lime green seats from the end of Old Comiskey instead of forest green like everyone else does. I wish they had done something non-vine-related for the batter's eye, too.

I agree about the seats. I saw a mockup of the park in that color and thought it looked good. However, with the awfulness of the sterile blue seats lasting 15 years, I think they felt they had to just go with a standard color that wouldn't be noticed. No taking chances as that point.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

On a related but separate note, the Sacramento Kings new arena will be the Golden 1 Center, named for Golden 1 Credit Union, which is apparently the sixth largest credit union in the country.

http://www.nba.com/kings/news/06162015-press-release

Would have been better to have used that name down the road in SF when the Golden State Warriors eventually open their new arena.

Is that foul pole closed on Sundays too?

the ONE time a season somebody hit it was...sunday

I bet those fans won't ever go to an Astros game again

Can't believe people are shocked they sold the naming rights. Sure its not a company you'd expect but its a big in town company.

I think anyone paying attention to the process expected it to be US Bank Stadium.

It's where I sit.

I agree about the seats. I saw a mockup of the park in that color and thought it looked good. However, with the awfulness of the sterile blue seats lasting 15 years, I think they felt they had to just go with a standard color that wouldn't be noticed. No taking chances as that point.

I've been to "old Comiskey" three times. The first two were in the earlier years and I my first thought was "this looks like the Metrodome with the roof cut off." Then a couple of years ago, my wife and I were in town and decided to take in a game (because even at a sterile place, I love to go to a game). And I was really amazed at how different/improved it was. I like the seat color choice. And the cutting down of that enormous upper deck was key as well.

As for the Vikings, I was surprised when in the Twin Cities some people expressed outrage. The Metrodome even had sponsorship in recent years. Yeah, I don't love this, but there was absolutely no surprise on my part. If they'd just named it Bud Grant stadium, that would have been a huge surprise.

Other recent sub-topics from above"

• I agree with DC Duck that "If having stadiums named after sponsors keeps the NFL from turning into the CFL with ads on the actual turf/grass, I'm all for it."
  • Unfortunately, I agree with Goth that "it won't."
  • I don't know that I've ever been extra annoyed by the chick fil a sign on the Houston foul pole, which is surprising because I am with Mockba on them.
  • Most definitely, some corporate arena names work better than others. "KFC Yum" or "Jobbing.com" is awful. "Target Center and "United Center" at least flow. Of course, if you keep a "regular" name as a part of it sometimes it's great. Remember the "Great Western Forum." It was years before I realized that Great Western was a sponsor.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived