US Bank buys New Vikings Stadium naming rights for 220 million dollars

ECUFan25

• Most definitely, some corporate arena names work better than others. "KFC Yum" or "Jobbing.com" is awful. "Target Center and "United Center" at least flow. Of course, if you keep a "regular" name as a part of it sometimes it's great. Remember the "Great Western Forum." It was years before I realized that Great Western was a sponsor.

Rich Stadium was the same for me.

It's where I sit.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Most definitely, some corporate arena names work better than others. "KFC Yum" or "Jobbing.com" is awful. "Target Center and "United Center" at least flow. Of course, if you keep a "regular" name as a part of it sometimes it's great. Remember the "Great Western Forum." It was years before I realized that Great Western was a sponsor.

Conversely, BYU's Marriott Center is not named for the Marriott hotel chain but instead is named for the company's founder, who personally donated the money. Hence the arena's official name is the J. Willard Marriott Center.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Me too, until right now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Conversely, BYU's Marriott Center is not named for the Marriott hotel chain but instead is named for the company's founder, who personally donated the money. Hence the arena's official name is the J. Willard Marriott Center.
While true, the corporate font of the publicly traded Marriott International is on the court's floor.

While true, the corporate font of the publicly traded Marriott International is on the court's floor.

Yep, I was there when they made that addition to the court. Can't blame the Marriotts for wanting to make sure branding was unified across applications.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Although 220 million seems like a lot, this deal doesn't even crack the top 5 in largest in stadium naming rights deals, coming in behind...

5. New England Patriots - Gillette Stadium - 240 million/30 years

4. Houston Texans - Reliant Stadium - 310 million/31 years

3. New York Giants/Jets - MetLife Stadium - 400 million/25 years

2. New York Mets - Citi Field - 400 million/20 years

1. Dallas Cowboys - AT&T Stadium - 400 million/20 years

it won't be "New Atlanta Stadium" when it opens up.

. . . unless "New Atlanta" is the name of a credit union or something. :upside:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

As was the Edward Jones Dome and Raymond James Stadium. It took a couple years after each building got their names that I realized they were both named after insurance companies.

As was the Edward Jones Dome and Raymond James Stadium. It took a couple years after each building got their names that I realized they were both named after insurance companies.

*Both are financial planning and brokerage firms

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 2 weeks later...

*Both are financial planning and brokerage firms

The worst is when they are named after banks/insurance/other companies and yet the team decides to keep the stadium's old name. Example: Capital One Field wouldn't be too bad, but Capital One Field @Byrd Stadium is awful.

And Great American Ballpark, but when you get there it has at least a million signs saying 'Great American Ballpark, presented by Great American Insurance.'

Archived