hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 2007 Off-Season

15 hours ago, TargetToad said:

Ottawa Wranglers 2008-2009? 

Maybe a new arena in Calgary materializes but they play in Ottawa for a year while it's built? 

Posted (edited)

Maybe move to Buffalo? Buffalo needs hockey 

Edited by Blindsay
Realized Atlanta has a team already

If i got this right, Calgary and Carolina are both the most likely teams to move to Ottawa.

Actually Ottawa would be an instant move, since if I remember correctly. They're hosting the Worlds Tourney since they have a new barn.

Oh my, I wasn't expecting Calgary to be in danger of relocation, although they have been mediocre the past few seasons, but still. I'm hoping if they do end up bolting to Ottawa or elsewhere, then the Wranglers' name and history be left in the city of Calgary for their next PHL team to adopt (Think the Cleveland Browns or Seattle Supersonics). 

Also, I noticed the format of the Draft results was changed. Any particular reason why? I'm not saying it should have stayed the same as the past few seasons, I was just wondering as I was curious about where Eric Bennett (Whose mother Josie was my character for the last Expansion Council) ended up (Assuming my math is correct, as I think he would have turned 18 by now. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how 2007-08 plays out! 

@hawkfan89 A few questions regarding you and the future of this league, hope you don’t mind.

1. You’ve previously stated that when you reached present day you would do a live season. At that point (2020 or 2021?) do you think you’ll still be able to do that as of now? If not that’s fine, I enjoy the format now as long as my Bulldogs are relevant :).

2. Since present day is only about 13-14 years away at that point, would you consider doing a different sport? If so, what sport would you consider doing? I’d love to see any fictional league by you, your work is amazing! 

Thanks, and I look forward to the Bulldog’s title defense this upcoming season. Have they reached their peak, or are they still rising despite already being the best in the league?

On 3/5/2019 at 7:58 AM, BobbyRicky62 said:

As a Mainer for life, let me be the first to welcome Chris Dempsey into the PHL!

Hi, I've been following this as a guest to the boards for a little over two years now.  But this is my first time leaving a reply, which guests are apparently allowed to do now.

With that said, Let's go Bulldogs!!  And best of luck to Chris Dempsey!

Welcome aboard! Chris Dempsey is an interesting player, the ultimate "late bloomer". Since being drafted by Washington out of high school he has put on weight and has become one of the best power forwards in college hockey. given his physical and mental maturity at 21, he may be the most PHL-ready prospect in this draft.

On 3/5/2019 at 1:15 PM, mr.negative15 said:

Maybe a new arena in Calgary materializes but they play in Ottawa for a year while it's built? 

If anything they could play a handful of games in Ottawa but it's doubtful the city would want to risk losing the team by allowing that. The Beltline Center is barely big enough to temporarily host a major-league team but it can be done. minor renovations will bring the capacity up to almost 11,000 while some more private boxes will be added as well. 

On 3/5/2019 at 2:27 PM, Blindsay said:

Maybe move to Buffalo? Buffalo needs hockey 

Buffalo could be considered, though they currently need an arena as well. There is interest in an expansion franchise, however. If they can get a building, they will be one of the top contenders in the next round of expansion along with Ottawa.

On 3/5/2019 at 2:27 PM, RightGuard said:

If i got this right, Calgary and Carolina are both the most likely teams to move to Ottawa.

On 3/5/2019 at 4:18 PM, Darknes said:

Actually Ottawa would be an instant move, since if I remember correctly. They're hosting the Worlds Tourney since they have a new barn.

Calgary is certainly a strong possibility to move, though the league really does not want this to happen. Greg Nolan would likely want to see a team in his hometown at some point, but he's also a business man who would love to get a sizable expansion fee from the city. He knows the Wranglers' survival would be in the league's best interest so they will do what they can to get them into a new home in Calgary. Carolina is a little healthier than Calgary, though there are attendance issues. Meanwhile, Ottawa is a prime city for expansion. Brand new, downtown arena, passionate fan base, and several potential owners vying to bring the franchise to the city. The more competition to land a franchise, the higher Nolan can set the expansion fee. He will get considerably more interest in Ottawa than other markets who've shown interest, such as Nashville or Norfolk.

21 hours ago, BengalSteve said:

Oh my, I wasn't expecting Calgary to be in danger of relocation, although they have been mediocre the past few seasons, but still. I'm hoping if they do end up bolting to Ottawa or elsewhere, then the Wranglers' name and history be left in the city of Calgary for their next PHL team to adopt (Think the Cleveland Browns or Seattle Supersonics). 

Also, I noticed the format of the Draft results was changed. Any particular reason why? I'm not saying it should have stayed the same as the past few seasons, I was just wondering as I was curious about where Eric Bennett (Whose mother Josie was my character for the last Expansion Council) ended up (Assuming my math is correct, as I think he would have turned 18 by now. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how 2007-08 plays out! 

I changed the whole off-season post to paragraph form so it would read more like a story, keeping it consistent with the season posts. It also creates less work for me and streamlines everything for you guys as I no longer need to list draft picks who may never make the league or free agent signings that will have little impact on the story. I just thought I would try it and see how everyone likes it. 

And to be honest I completely forgot about Eric Bennett! He is now on the list for the '08 draft as a 19-year-old ranked for the first round.

20 hours ago, JG36 said:

@hawkfan89 A few questions regarding you and the future of this league, hope you don’t mind.

1. You’ve previously stated that when you reached present day you would do a live season. At that point (2020 or 2021?) do you think you’ll still be able to do that as of now? If not that’s fine, I enjoy the format now as long as my Bulldogs are relevant :).

2. Since present day is only about 13-14 years away at that point, would you consider doing a different sport? If so, what sport would you consider doing? I’d love to see any fictional league by you, your work is amazing! 

Thanks, and I look forward to the Bulldog’s title defense this upcoming season. Have they reached their peak, or are they still rising despite already being the best in the league?

The live season is still my goal when we reach present day, which should be the 2020-21 season at this point. As far as how I'll do it, I still have to figure that out. My dream is for EA to make a logo uploader for their NHL series so I can actually play the games and post highlights etc. If not, I may use franchise hockey manager or I may come up with my own way of simulating each game. I do have to see what life looks like by then too, as I now have two kids and am looking at a possible career change. It's possible I may have to take a break for a few years, then maybe do a catch-up series.

As for doing another sport, I would love to but it would need to be significantly simpler than the PHL, especially the story aspect. I think if I were to do it I would try Basketball. I'm not a huge basketball fan but I think the overlap with the PHL (same arenas, some of the same owners, etc.) could be a lot of fun. We'll see what happens in the next 2 years or so. And thank you for the kind words, I'm glad you've been enjoying the project! I still love doing it, even if it's getting harder to find the time. As for the Bulldogs, I would say they're at their peak mainly thanks to the salary cap, but that peak should last a while. Brendan Marlo is 29 but in great shape and should be effective well into his 30s, and they're also loaded with young talent like Jeffery Simkins and Brayden McPherson, not to mention their star goalie Mark Davis, who is already one of the league's best at only 21. The future is bright in Boston.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Posted (edited)

It just occurred to me that the great economy crash of 2008 is coming up.

The million-dollar question: How does this affect the PHL?

Edited by BobbyRicky62

3 hours ago, BobbyRicky62 said:

It just occurred to me that the great economy crash of 2008 is coming up.

The million-dollar question: How does this affect the PHL?

My guess? Some teams will move (Miami is one candidate, Calgary is another) expansion will be postponed, salaries will drop, and a labor strike occurs because of it (but the strike only lasts part of a season, not all of it.

I hope the next expansion ends up being Ottawa and Buffalo. Two cities get teams back! The easy solution would be to move Houston to the west and join Dallas. I hope no one relocates. Can't wait to see what happens!

I'd really like to see Nashville or Norfolk get a team. If not, then Ottawa should get the Eastern expansion, while Western could be Salt Lake City. Just to give the Bulls a rival.

I’d like to see Norfolk just because it’s different from OTL

Holy crap, I didn't know Crowley was from RochMN! For once, the city has a claim to fame that isn't "Mayo Clinic" or "The Rochester not in New York."

Also, damn shame to hear about the Calgary crisis.

Ooh a possible return of Ottawa and Buffalo the latter I’ve been hoping for awhile