hawkfan89

Professional Hockey League; A Fictional History: 2007 Off-Season

I like the addition of color. Anyways, can you post a tally of teams conference/finals wins? It may have already been done and I just didn't see it. I was just curious, thanks in advance!

Sorry guys, I was out of town for a few days.

Oh and I was wondering how to figure out the seasons randomly. On page 3 you talked about it but mentioned making it better, I wanted to know because I was thinking of doing something this for my concept series I'm gonna try to start this year

Right now I just use a website called Random.org. basically the same way as I did since I started the league except now I do the two divisions separately. Right now I am working on basically revamping the whole process from the simulation to the way it's presented. The new simulation system will base everything on team records and will hopefully incorporate things like injuries, morale, and things like that. should be ready to go sometime in the late 60s-early 70s, I'll explain it in more detail then.

I like the addition of color. Anyways, can you post a tally of teams conference/finals wins? It may have already been done and I just didn't see it. I was just curious, thanks in advance!

Thanks! I wanted to go for an authentic colour quality, I think it works. As for the conference and finals wins, the best that I have right now is the playoff tree but I hope to come up with a more detailed system in the future.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, the next season should be up sometime this week, one team will be updating their look first though, look for that either tonight or tomorrow.

I like the new idea.

My only concern is the letters in Royale should be more straight up instead of slumping over

But keep the arch.

Well I've been a little under the weather this past week, but I managed to fix up the new Royale logo. I haven't been able to sim the next season yet, hoping to do that probably sometime tomorrow.

1963-64:

Season Summary:

Perhaps the biggest change change to the PHL entering the 1963-64 season was the absence of former superstar Skippy Cleveland in New York. Cleveland was routinely at or near the top of the scoring race since the league's inception in 1939 and had retired the previous season as arguably the greatest player ever to play the game. To replace Cleveland, the Civics recruited 19-year-old Doug Stevens, who had been a star in the Canadian junior league. Despite Stevens' strong play as a rookie, the Civics failed to make the playoffs for the second year in a row, finishing fifth in the American Division. In Detroit, the defending champs picked up right where they left off, starting the season with a record 22 straight wins. They would finish the year with 58 wins, cruising to first place overall. The Quebec Nationale continued their dominance in the Canadian Division, finishing with 52 wins while Gilbert Girouix led the league in scoring with 44 goals. The Nova Scotia Claymores finally made their first appearance in the playoffs, thanks to a 33-goal effort by Brian Millard, while Boston barely made the playoffs in the American Division after a tough rebuilding season.

The first round of the 1964 playoffs played out as expected in the Canadian Division, with Quebec defeating Nova Scotia in 6 games, while Toronto took out Montreal, also in 6. The American Division, however, saw two big upsets. The Chicago Shamrocks, after a very average regular season, shocked their arch-rivals, the Philadelphia Redshirts in 4 straight. In Detroit, after the heavily favoured Mustangs took a 2-0 lead over the Boston Bulldogs, Detroit head coach Johnny Chadwick made the fatal mistake of predicting a sweep, gauranteeing that the Mustangs would win games 3 and 4 in Boston. The Bulldogs stormed back to not only win both games in Boston but to win the next two as well, taking the series in one of the biggest upsets in PHL history. The division finals would feature two more upsets, as Boston continued their strong play in a 5-game victory over Chicago to reach the Lewis Cup finals for the 9th time in franchise history. In the Canadian Division final, Toronto took down Quebec in a mild upset with Mark Benson leading the way with 4 goals including the OT winner in game 6. In the Championship round, Toronto won the first two at home, before Boston tied the series on their home ice. The Bulldogs then won game 5 in Toronto to take a 3-2 series lead. One win away from their 7th Lewis Cup, the Bulldogs gave up a pair of 2-goal leads in a heartbreaker, as the Racers won game 6 in overtime on a goal from David Stairs, before blowing out the Bulldogs 6-1 in game 7 to claim their third Lewis Cup.

64unis.png

64standings.png

64playoffs.png

64classics_1.png

64champs.png

I can't read it, all I can tell is that Toronto won

Sorry guys, something obviously went wrong there. I was trying out a new format and it seems it didn't quite go the way I wanted. I'll repost tomorrow when I get to my computer again.

I'm starting to think Canaduh might be good at hockey

Hey, Hawkfan. I've been doodling with 2 concept series like this (different sports obviously) and was wondering how or what do you use to come up with the players names?

Also I am using Random.org to but with slightly different playoff keys.

Hey, Hawkfan. I've been doodling with 2 concept series like this (different sports obviously) and was wondering how or what do you use to come up with the players names?

Also I am using Random.org to but with slightly different playoff keys.

I use online name generators but mostly only for last names. I try to come up with decade-appropriate first names. For example now that I'm in the 60s, there's a lot of Bobbys, Davids, Bills, etc. In the 30s and 40s, there were a lot of silly-sounding nicknames, Skippy Cleveland was a good example of this. It takes a lot of research to make it as accurate as possible.

MSO that's generally what I use for American names, Hawkfan that makes sense, you got some good dedication to

Wow, can't believe it's been two weeks! Here's 1964-65 with a few changes to the format. The biggest change is the removal of the classic games segment. I realize it was popular, but it was just too difficult to keep up with. I've replaced it with a slightly expanded season summary and player illustrations. I may bring classic games back at some point in a different format if there's enough demand for it.

64unis.png

As the 1963-64 season finished and the Toronto Racers celebrated their Lewis Cup victory, the PHL once again began talk of expansion. Air travel was becoming increasingly affordable and easy and the league became attracted to the idea of a couple of western franchises. After a board of governers meeting the June, 1964, the PHL anounced it would add two western based teams in time for the 1966-67 season. Immediately, Gerald Smythe submitted an application to revive his Vancouver franchise. Applications also came in from Minnesota, Winnipeg, Calgary, Los Angeles, Seattle, Edmonton, and Denver. Also during the summer, the league expanded it's regular season from 70 to 80 games. Playoffs would now begin the first week of April. Just prior to the drop of the puck for the 1964-65 season, Hamilton began their slow climb from the league basement by trading longtime captain Ted Forbes to Ottawa for second-year forward Brian Reed. It did not help their cause, however, as they finished the year with the worst record in PHL history at 6-70-4. In Buffalo, the Bulls enjoyed a massive jump, finishing the season with 100 points for the first time in franchise history and finishing in second place,thanks largely to a spectacular effort in net from David Zimmer. Zimmer.png

In Philadelphia, the Redshirts experienced a disastrous season as star players Vince Ward, Richie Moore, and goaltender Micheal McArdle went down with injuries. In December, star defenceman Jean Lerouix quit the team after a falling out with coach Howie Smith. Montreal immediately pick him up and Philly was forced to call up another inexperienced rookie, Billy Patton. Detroit had another big year with Don Banks scoring 52 goals with a hat-trick in the final game of the season to put him over the 50 goal hump.

In March, 1965, the league finally made a big anouncement regarding expansion. Minnesota and Winnipeg were to be admitted as new PHL franchises beginning in the fall of 1966. The new franchises would be stocked through an expansion draft where each team would select players from the existing teams to fill out their rosters.

As the 1965 playoffs began, high expectations surrounded Buffalo, where the team was coming off their best-ever regular season after years in the basement. Those expectations would be short-lived, however, as star goaltender David Zimmer suffered a fractured jaw in game 1 of the Bulls' first round series against the Chicago Shamrocks on a shot from Shamrocks defenseman Bruce James, ending his year. The Shamrocks wold go on to win the series in five games. Meanwhile Detroit had little trouble with the Boston Bulldogs this time around, taking them out in five games, While Montreal took out the defending champion Racers in six. In the Division finals, Quebec met Montreal in a tough seven-game series while Detroit met Chicago. In stunning fashion, the underdog Shamrocks swept the Mustangs in four straight, with Bruce Wallace only allowing four goals all series. Meanwhile Quebec managed to give up a 3-1 series lead to the Royale before winning an emotional game 7 to advance to the Lewis Cup. In the Lewis Cup finals, Quebec managed to win game one in a 7-2 blowout. Game two was closer, going to double overtime with Chicago taking the win. the teams would split games 3 and 4 before Chicago would take a 3-2 series lead in game 5. The Nationale managed a big win in game 6 to force game 7 back home in Quebec thanks to a two goal preformance from Guy Benoit. Game seven would prove to be one of the most entertaining games in PHL history, with both teams trading leads until the game reached overtime. In overtime, Ben Williams finally scored for Quebec to give the Nationale their fourth Lewis Cup of the decade. It had been a very exciting year for the Nationale and the PHL, but the celebration would not last long before a shocking anouncement. Gerald Smythe was so furious at once again being shunned by the league, that while the playoffs consumed everyone's attention, he and the other rejected owners banded together to secretly start a major league of their own. In May, 1965, Smythe announced the founding of the Western Hockey Organization, which would amazingly begin play in the fall of 1965. The six-team league would include franchises in Vancouver, Calgary, San Francisco, Portland, Edmonton, and St. Louis. A draft would take place in early june to provide teams the opportunity to rob PHL teams of talent.

Standings:

American Division

1. Detroit
  2. Buffalo
  3. Boston
  4. Chicago
  5. New York
  6. Philadelphia

Canadian Division

1. Quebec
  2. Montreal
  3. Toronto