Which Memorable Player's Number SHOULD be retired that ISN'T?

worcat

Some players are identified by the team they play for and the number they wear. The impact they have on that team during their tenure can last forever and bring them to legendary status.

Who is a player that you believe should have his number retired by a certain club/team due to their impact on the franchise that has not been retired and why?

For myself, first name and number that comes to mind is:

Who:

#9: Paul Kariya of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

Why:

Team Captain from 96-03

1993 1st rd draft pick, 4th overall

GP; 989, G:402, A:587, P:989, +/-: 31 with Anaheim

All-Rookie Team: 1995

First All-Star Team: 96, 97, 99

Second All-Star Team: 00,03

Lady Bying Memorial Trophy: 96, 97

All-Star Game: 96, 97, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03

Aside from Teemu Selanne, he IS the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. I realize he has been on hiatus from the world of hockey but I hope the Ducks continue to pursue to bring him back to the nest.

Unfortunately, the franchise has allowed current players to continue to wear #9 which may complicate the process.

Since Kariya's departure, only Bobby Ryan has graced the number (08-13). Hopefully the Ducks will place the number on the shelf until Paul decides to come back to the Ducks.

Agree/Disagree?

What are your thoughts on players?

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kariya's been "on hiatus from the world of hockey" and also left the Mighty Ducks on very unfavorable terms. He was booed every single time he came back. I think we fans have started to give him a little more slack (he got some cheers the two times he's been shown on the jumbotron in the last two years, and has a mural inside like other players), the Ducks did supposedly reach out to him during the 20th anniversary celebrations and the Ducks have been careful with the No. 9 (Bobby Ryan didn't initially start with it. He started with 54 as a rookie-has-to-earn-low-numbers thing, but even he had his high number longer than other rookies. I really think they were trying to hold off on it.)

Eventually, maybe he finally gets his No. 9 up there, but it won't be soon. I can almost assure that J.S. Giguere's No. 35 and Scott Niedermayer's No. 27 will be the next ones up. The Ducks have basically said as much.

----

However, also in Orange County:

Tim Salmon's No. 15 and Garret Anderson's No. 16 with the Angels

No.15 is probably a sooner than later situation.

Salmon was beloved and known as Mr. Angel. Member of the 2002 World Series champions. 15 seasons with the Angels. Career Angels home run leader with 299 (tried so hard for that 300th, too), 2nd in Angels hits, , 2nd in Angels doubles, 2nd in Angels RBI, 2nd in Angels runs, 1st in Angels walks, 2nd in Angels at-bats, 2nd in Angels games played, 1993 AL rookie of the year, 1995 Silver Slugger, and a local guy from Long Beach. No. 15 has been out of circulation since Salmon retired.

But the true crime is GA's No. 16. It has been given out twice since GA left the Halos, which is absurd.

All those categories Salmon was 2nd in, Anderson was 1st in all of them. Anderson was a 2002 World Champion (like Salmon), played 15 seasons for the Halos (like Salmon) and leads the Angels in hits, doubles, RBI, runs, games played, 2nd in home runs, three-time All-Star, 2003 ASG MVP, 2003 Home Run Derby winner, two-time Silver Slugger. Anderson is also a local guy from Granada Hills and was tremendous in the community with charity efforts. Almost equally liked as Salmon was.

Garrett Anderson is one of the all-time Angels. And that his number was given out twice (to Hank Conger who then gave it up to Huston Street) is ridiculous.

Anderson and Salmon deserve to be up there with Jim Fregosi, Gene Autry, Rod Carew (only 7 seasons, but number retired the year after he retired), Nolan Ryan (only 8 seasons, but number retired in 1992 WHILE HE STILL PITCHED FOR TEXAS), and Jimmie Reese. (Not saying Carew or Ryan didn't deserve retirement, just comparing theirs to Salmon/Anderson's lack of thus far. And yes I know Carew/Ryan are Hall of Famers, but the Angels don't have that policy, as illustrated by when their numbers were retired.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

If Mike Mussina would have stayed with the Orioles he might've been the best pitcher to ever suit up for them. He definitely would've had his number retired and would've been remembered as an Orioles legend. Unfortunately, thanks to Peter Angelos, he is remembered as a traitor.

I know number retiring isn't as common in football as it is in baseball, but the Ravens need to retire 52 and 75 ASAP.

For soccer, Liverpool should retire 96 for Hillsborough. It's not likely that anyone would wear it anyway, but it'd be a nice gesture.

The Capitals need to retire 12 and 37 for Bondra and Kolzig, respectively. Until Ovechkin, Bondra was the best offensive player in the Caps' history, bar none. Kolzig is still the best goalie we have ever had and it's laughable that their numbers aren't retired yet.

spacer.png

I cannot think of any. It took the A's forever to retire Ricky Henderson...I had assumed it was retired until I saw Jermaine Dye wearing #24. I think they finally retired it in 2009 or so. In Minnesota it took a while to retire Bert Blyleven (considering HOF is not a requirement). The number was issued at least once (Jesse Crain) and I was surprised to see it worn, figuring it would eventually be retired.

But for the most part the list of retired numbers that should not be is much, much longer.

My teams:

• Wild: #1 (for the fans). Are you kidding?
  • Timberwoves: #2 for Malik Sealy who was killed by a drunk driver while playing for the T-Wolves. I am OK with it, though he is not the calibur of player that usually gets a number retired. It's very sad that it even came up.
  • Twins: #14 Kent Hrbek. Hrbek, despite his weight, should have won multiple gold gloves but he is not quite that calibur of player. He's from Minnesota, though, and I don't think any other team would have retired his number for the same career. He came out smoking and tapered off as his body started to decline. Kinda like Mauer, who will also have his number retired, in a bit of a stretch, due to being hometown as well.
  • Twins: #10 Tom Kelly (Manager). Manager for two World Champions. This is borderline at best. Also manager in the moribund 90s. The silver lining to the Twins not winning a World Series during the 2000s is that nobody will be trying to suggest we retire Gardy's number. That's a world I could not live in.

Future retirements in Minnesota: Kevin Garnett and Joe Mauer.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't think any future Blackhawks are gonna be wearing 2, 19, or 88.

My teams prefer to "honour" numbers, but Halladay should get his due from the Blue Jays within the next few seasons and it's a complete joke how the Leafs haven't raised Keon's #14. I understand why -- they aren't exactly on good terms, and Keon wants his number retired -- but come on. It's been like forty years.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Both Wade Boggs and Roger Clemens should have their numbers retired with the Red Sox.

One guy has 3 Cy Young's with the team. The other hit .338 over 11 years. If those numbers aren't worthy of an honor like that I'm not sure what is.

I can't think of any other player in baseball that's even close to what those two did that isn't active, doesen't have their number retired already, or isn't already honored in some other way.

It's also kind of a shame to. After Ted Williams I'm not sure Clemens and Boggs aren't 2 and 3 for the greatest Red Sox of all-time and its almost like those two don't even exist as far as the Red Sox are concerned.

No number should ever be retired, nor held out of circulation, in any sport.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

No number should ever be retired, nor held out of circulation, in any sport.

Well, if you play in Toronto, you won't have that problem.

Leafs won't, Jays won't, Raptors meh... TFC? lols

I guess their 'honoured number' nonsense has been around so long, I don't know any better.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Both Wade Boggs and Roger Clemens should have their numbers retired with the Red Sox.

One guy has 3 Cy Young's with the team. The other hit .338 over 11 years. If those numbers aren't worthy of an honor like that I'm not sure what is.

I can't think of any other player in baseball that's even close to what those two did that isn't active, doesen't have their number retired already, or isn't already honored in some other way.

It's also kind of a shame to. After Ted Williams I'm not sure Clemens and Boggs aren't 2 and 3 for the greatest Red Sox of all-time and its almost like those two don't even exist as far as the Red Sox are concerned.

The Red Sox have been historically strict about their retirement policy.

The general requirement is 10 seasons with the sox, ended your career with the sox, and are a Hall of Famer. (Johnny Pesky is the only exception, but he with the team for 61 years, so he kinda deserved it... Fisk technically worked for the team at the end of his playing career).

Neither Boggs, nor Clemens ended their careers here, and Clemens isn't in the Hall. Therefore

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I took the Fenway tour in 2004 (I recall 'cuz the Sox were down 3-0 to the yanks). I think they said that the rule is a player has to finish his career with the Red Sox. For some reason they made an exception for Fisk. (but there could be others for all I know)

EDIT: beaten to it...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Steelers have a ton. I've read in several places though, that they just don't reissue numbers rather than retiring them. As far as I know, no Steeler will ever wear 7, 12, 43, 47, 58, 59, 83, 86, 92, or 99 again.

The Pirates need to retire Dave Parker's number 39. He was a big part of the great 70's teams and played 11 season's there.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

If Mike Mussina would have stayed with the Orioles he might've been the best pitcher to ever suit up for them. He definitely would've had his number retired and would've been remembered as an Orioles legend. Unfortunately, thanks to Peter Angelos, he is remembered as a traitor.

I know number retiring isn't as common in football as it is in baseball, but the Ravens need to retire 52 and 75 ASAP.

For soccer, Liverpool should retire 96 for Hillsborough. It's not likely that anyone would wear it anyway, but it'd be a nice gesture.

The Capitals need to retire 12 and 37 for Bondra and Kolzig, respectively. Until Ovechkin, Bondra was the best offensive player in the Caps' history, bar none. Kolzig is still the best goalie we have ever had and it's laughable that their numbers aren't retired yet.

I think you could arguably already make that case, he and Palmer had very similar careers. Mussina is no doubt Hall of Famer is my view, vastly underrated.

New York Jets:

I think Jets will eventually retire #24 for Darrelle Revis.

I think that will depend heavily on how he does during his second stint. If he plays All Pro football for a few more seasons, then maybe, yeah.

Is he even that well liked among Jet fans? (I honestly don't know) 2 hold outs and winning a title with the arch rivals can't be viewed too highly, right?

90758391980.gif

Archived