Critique on Personal Branding?

JoeDGemma

Hey everyone. I'm currently moving into my sophomore year in college studying graphic design and I figured it's time I start creating a personal brand to improve my professional appearance so I can one day get a job. This is my current work in progress and I'd love to hear what everyone has to think.

kiyx3OU.png

On the scale of 0-100 of credibility, I'm maybe at a 6... having said that I do see a letter 'T' for some reason + an anchor &/or arrow pointing down. Not sure a downward pointing arrow is a great thing.

Again, I'm just a 6/100.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I've got about 15 years' experience, and I think it's really good. The mark is strong enough to stand on its own, which is exactly what you want.

Don't be afraid to take the type down in size. Way down. You want your type to communicate, be a platform for the information, be legible, but you do not want it to fight your mark.

I'd run 'Joe Gemma Design' centered across the bottom, in your dark color. For sizing, I'd start with a size where the capital 'O' is the same width as the white strokes on your anchor, and for the type weight, try keeping it close, if not matching, the dark outlines on the mark. That way, you wed the words together with the mark.

Hope that helps. Love the mark. Keep up the good work!

I agree with the guys above. Imo it looks better seperated because you can tell what it represents better. A lot of the time it might be used seperate from the text as well, and I think it might look better if the height was the same for both the logo and the wordmark, or centered above or below it. It depends where it's used I guess. You can always have variants of it. Also it might be interesting to see what it looks like without the stroke just using tints were it folds.

It's much better to separate the J and G, but why not combine them into one shape instead of two separate ones? You can still divide the J and G halves with a dark line. It will also being back that anchor-type shape, which might not be a bad thing.

Is there a reason why some corners are rounded, but others are sharp? The combination makes the logo feel unrefined...you should be consistent with the edges throughout the same colored shape, so they look more intentional.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I read the initial mark as a "T" first too. I'd agree with slapshot about combining them, but I think it would still read as a "T" at first glance. I would maybe put an indentation in the crossbar to break up that dominant horizontal line where the "J" and the "G" meet.

Archived