a quick re-brand of the Grand Rapids Drive of the NBA d-leage

QThaGAWD

Hello Guys i know you're probably tired of seeing me here, but I've been doing so many concepts lately i just want to share my work.

ok with that said heres the gist of the reasoning behind me making this concept.

i thought about doing this after i replied to a post that was looking for help on an old concept they had and i really liked the name "Detroit Soul" and i thought "Hmm that would be a great name for a team i have in mind" needless to say it was the Drive.

i love Detroit's history and everything the city is known for as far as cars and music.

the city has a nice amount of sports teams with great history behind there names but the Pistons "new" D-League affiliate is just a generic attempt at forcing the car identity of the city and not much speaks to the music side of things as far as sports go.

after about an hour of thinking and a quick session for sketching i came up with a concept to have a sports team that speaks to the music identity of Detroit and with the city being home to Motown Records i though why not. i worked for a few hours on this but its still in the very earlier stages just like some of the other things i have going now but i would live to know what everyone thinks.

i modeled the Main Logo after Motown Records's logo

Real C&C wanted and thanks for looking :)

Motown_415a3_450x450_zpsuix6bnod.png9465_grand_rapids_drive-primary-2014_zps

Main Logo:

Detroit%20Soul_zpshof2swid.png

Secondary Logos:

Detroit%20Soul%20Alt%202_zpsoti7w5qb.png

Home & Away Jerseys:

Detroit%20Soul%20Alt%203_zpsuiobc807.png

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

I like your idea of trying to mimic the Motown Records logo, but I don't really see a connection between it and your logo. You took UConn's font, typed in a D and added a line that cuts through it. See if you can make a D using shapes, like the Motown logo uses shapes to make its M. It would also look more like the logo if you added a stroke to the D.

I would also suggest you drop UConn's font and find the font Motown uses (below the M). If you can't find the exact font, get one that is very close to it.

award%20sig.png

I like your idea of trying to mimic the Motown Records logo, but I don't really see a connection between it and your logo. You took UConn's font, typed in a D and added a line that cuts through it. See if you can make a D using shapes, like the Motown logo uses shapes to make its M. It would also look more like the logo if you added a stroke to the D.

I would also suggest you drop UConn's font and find the font Motown uses (below the M). If you can't find the exact font, get one that is very close to it.

tried making that and i didnt quite work and UConn has a very good font and i liked the way it looked cut in half so i used it (after testing various others) and as for looking for the font i searched an hour and a half for it before i even started on the sketches but that logo was made before the digital era and was more than likely hand drawn in the 60s/70s and i couldnt really get a "D" to look they way i wanted trying use motown hand drawn font.

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

I don't see the Motown logo either.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

the object of the Motown logo was to use it as a reference not right out copy every single detail how is that not obvious?

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

the object of the Motown logo was to use it as a reference not right out copy every single detail how is that not obvious?

No one is thinking that you should copy every detail, but if you claim you used the logo as an inspiration than put a line through a letter and underline the text, it doesn't really compute. I really like UConn's font too, but I thought you could go for a more classic look by using the font they used.

award%20sig.png

No one is thinking that you should copy every detail, but if you claim you used the logo as an inspiration than put a line through a letter and underline the text, it doesn't really compute. I really like UConn's font too, but I thought you could go for a more classic look by using the font they used.

I guess you missed the part where theres a box around it as well using references doesnt mean you copy the exact text or lettering/logo its called blending i used classic elements with modern touches and if you cant see that your C&C isnt needed here.

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

People are trying to give you some good constructive criticism but yet you act very negatively to any comments that aren't in praise of your concepts. You need to learn to accept the fact that people have different opinions, and not everybody is going to like your designs. It is very important though that you take into account everybody's comments, and possibly look into making some of the changes that are suggested. In this case, just listen to people's comments, and instead of bashing them, take time to truly think about them and consider making changes. Remember, by posting your designs you are essentially asking for C&C, so just appreciate that.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

People are trying to give you some good constructive criticism but yet you act very negatively to any comments that aren't in praise of your concepts. You need to learn to accept the fact that people have different opinions, and not everybody is going to like your designs. It is very important though that you take into account everybody's comments, and possibly look into making some of the changes that are suggested. In this case, just listen to people's comments, and instead of bashing them, take time to truly think about them and consider making changes. Remember, by posting your designs you are essentially asking for C&C, so just appreciate that.

no one is being negative i explained why i chose to use what i did i never said i wanted the C&C because i wanted to change anything i got the C&C and i responded to it i never said i wanted anyone to praise the work say it needs work say whatever you wanted i do take everything into consideration but if you dont like the way i respond to your C&C dont give it.

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

I can see that your design is trying to mimic the Motown logo, it obviously takes the most iconic part. The super bold letter with the stroke of the 'M' taking up the invisible space. As for your logo, you just drew a line through the letter 'D' in an effort to make it look similar. Unfortunately, this looks bad as the line goes through from the outside corners but the line doesn't go through the counter from corner to corner. It throws the design off and looks bad.

Yeah, the basketball is there, but why? Why the placement there? Just seems like an afterthought, same goes for the 'S.' You seem to be so dead set on using the line slash, but you used it wrong, then you threw the basketball and a 'S' to fill in the rest of the design. In the end, it doesn't help the logo and makes the 'D' much more harder to read.

As for the word mark, horribly generic. The underline doesn't stop at the end of the last letter but slightly beyond it. The typeface, if you're content with keeping it, freshen it up, make something memorable about it. You wrote it out and sloppily added an underline to mimic the Motown logo.

I get it, you had an idea and tried to make it work, unfortunately, with the name 'Soul' you left the soul out of it. The logo neither screams soul, music, or Detroit, in fact, if you didn't have the Motown logo up there I would not have made any connection whatsoever without a side-by-side.

youre right about the basketball but the "S" is there to signify the "Soul within Detroit". thank you for your "C&C" ill make an edit and we'll see how it turns out ive been working on it anyway.

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

UPDATE: i decided to go away from trying to mimic the Motown "M" i kept the Boxed frame and underline and instead went with the typerface Marvin Gaye (Former Tamla/Motown Artist) used on is album art "Come Get To This" i thought it looked very good and would work well and it would also be keeping with the "Soul" theme seeing as it was one of his genres i moved the basketball with a halo to within the "Detroit" word mark just for astetic look as well as a simple "Wing" design. so please tell me if i a tleast improved slightly over the first design or it badley needs more work. thank you for looking :)

DRIVE%20REBRAND_zpsbdabvjpb.png

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

This update is beautiful, the wings look a bit unnecessary as does the box to me but I get what you're going for there. The use of negative space is great, and the font looks clean. The instant you see this it screams Motown. Have you tried out some other color schemes?

This update is beautiful, the wings look a bit unnecessary as does the box to me but I get what you're going for there. The use of negative space is great, and the font looks clean. The instant you see this it screams Motown. Have you tried out some other color schemes?

thank you, yea the box is to kinda keep a part of the motown logo and the wings were a reference to Soul i guess. no i haven't tried any new color scheme but i will and test some now that you mention it, could you suggest any? I'll also try to center it better

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

You actually have something pretty good with the haloed ball. See what it looks like if you just have the ball and add the wings from your last revision. D-League teams normally only need one true logo, and the haloed ball would not only fit the role, but it would be unique and connect to the city.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

You actually have something pretty good with the haloed ball. See what it looks like if you just have the ball and add the wings from your last revision. D-League teams normally only need one true logo, and the haloed ball would not only fit the role, but it would be unique and connect to the city.

i'll see what i can do i was just about to post a recolor so after that i'll do that revised look as a secondary, will that work?

EDIT: sorry for the sloppiness, but heres a quick edit of what i think you wanted.

Halo%20Ball_zps8o7dogpg.png

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

i'll see what i can do i was just about to post a recolor so after that i'll do that revised look as a secondary, will that work?

EDIT: sorry for the sloppiness, but heres a quick edit of what i think you wanted.

I really like this a lot. Even better so than the recolored version. Something about it that clicks together. I'm impressed by the concept here. However, I believe in less is more. I know you included the wings here because it adds details, but I think you capture the essence of the word "soul" with the halo. I know it make seem plain with just a basketball and a halo, but you are definitely on the right track here. Also, I would try to incorporate the "D" in a better way because its seems to be floating in front of the ball. I get that its a messy concept, but I would love to see it finalized. Keep it up!

I really like this a lot. Even better so than the recolored version. Something about it that clicks together. I'm impressed by the concept here. However, I believe in less is more. I know you included the wings here because it adds details, but I think you capture the essence of the word "soul" with the halo. I know it make seem plain with just a basketball and a halo, but you are definitely on the right track here. Also, I would try to incorporate the "D" in a better way because its seems to be floating in front of the ball. I get that its a messy concept, but I would love to see it finalized. Keep it up!

its just past 6AM and i decided to check this early and i saw your reply and tried to deliver on what you wanted to see. so here's an edit of the ball i think you were asking for. Please forgive the sloppiness of the halo i haven't gotten the line work quite right yet. (Quick Edit)

Halo%20Ball2_zpsczjduebm.png

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

Archived