Sign in to follow this  
BBTV

Philadelphia Water Department

Got a notice about this along with my bill a month or so ago. Thought I'd post it because logo. Unfortunately, no roundel.

PhilaWaterLogoComparison.png

From: http://www.philebrity.com/2015/05/08/icymi-the-philadelphia-water-department-unveiled-a-new-logo/

On Monday, the Philadelphia Water Department debuted their first new logo in nearly 30 years. We dig its clean and contemporary look that is a stark contrast to the MS Paint vibe of its predecessor. The new design comes at a, um, watershed moment for the company as they have been working to rebrand themselves as an all-inclusive, green organization.

From the PWD website:

We are working harder than ever to provide quality customer service and protect our infrastructure and water sources, all while transforming Philadelphia into the greenest city in the country. Were also strengthening our outreach and education efforts to communicate who we are today and our vision for the future. Our new logo is a highly visible reflection of these initiatives.

The new logo puts WATER front and center and emphasizes the full range of services we provide that impact the quality of life for Philadelphians: quality drinking water, safe and responsible wastewater management, and a commitment to the environment and protecting our city through stormwater management. The updated logo also includes a tagline with a nod to our legacy of serving the city for the last 214 years.

And thus we have our first moment of graphic design zen in awhile. Furthering the PWDs goals is a street art initiative that will see the installation of vinyl tiles in the streets of Manayunk by Eurhi Jones. These works that were created in conjunction with the Mural Arts Program aim to give a glimpse into Phillys industrial history and wildlife such as herons, shad and crayfish, and will be celebrated at a ceremony on May 14th. Although really, they kind of make us want to watch Waterworld again. Dennis Hopper is hypnotic in that mess.

Not bad. I like the water droplet inside the "A"....nice touch.

A clean rebrand. It's certainly better than what they had before.

Missed opportunity for a Liberty Bell/Water Drop combo.

Ugh. I hate these non-pluralized, esoteric sports team names. What sport is this anyway? Water Polo? Full-contact Windsurfing?

Good logo, though.

;)

Ugh. I hate these non-pluralized, esoteric sports team names. What sport is this anyway? Water Polo? Full-contact Windsurfing?

Good logo, though.

;)

2928543-524906464-Not_sure_if_serious.jp

I like it, especially since it moves away from the acronym, kinda annoying having PGW (Gas) and PWD (Water).

Speaking of gas, they should get rid pf the swooshes in the logo.

logo.jpg

Good logo, though.

;)

The Philadelphia Water vs the Calgary Flames would be a good match up.

why do you have a hipster water department

Meet Philadelphia's hipsters:

Screen-Shot-2014-02-04-at-11.53.26-AM-30

Screen-Shot-2014-02-04-at-11.54.35-AM-27

Screen-Shot-2014-02-04-at-11.55.12-AM-27

Screen-Shot-2014-02-04-at-11.56.34-AM-25

Northern Liberties dude totally wrote that copy. I wanna punch him in the balls for it.