Logo Concept for my High School

WavePunter

I played for the winningest coach of all time at any level of organized football, John McKissick, who just retired from coaching after more than six decades at the helm of the Summerville Green Wave. This got me thinking about the logo changes Big John has seen, and the evolution of the current, which began in the late 80's or early 90's. The current is a kelly green S, outlined in white, within a gold (yellow) oval, also outlined in white.. The kelly and gold look so great together, and the helmet is now iconic, but the logo doesn't translate so well to other media, such as baseball caps (a block S of various weights has been used in nearly every capacity regarding ball caps), so I decided to try my hand at a more universally-applicable logo that doesn't stray too far from our traditional roots, but is unique and contemporary enough to be respectable as a new logo. As with any teams named after natural intimate objects or weather-related disasters, it's tough to have a solid logo, and everyone else in the country named the Wave(apart from Pepperdine) pretty much rips off Tulane (including oour baseball team as of this year), so I decided to try to find inspiration for "wave" logos I liked, but could also adapt to an S (which is a great letter to use when dealing with a wave, imo), and could later adjust to create a stand-alone wave logo that would add to the brand. So far I've only done the S-wave, but I wanted feedback on it before diving into the wave-only logo. C&C appreciated

IhjOvmj.png

I like it... but I'm afraid it won't look good on a green helmet/baseball cap. It'd get lost pretty quick. Hard to imagine anything else on the helmet besides the oval logo lol.

As for all other applications, it would probably be fine.... like on a basketball court, gold backgrounds, letterhead, etc.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

The baseball team currently uses a white panel for their Tulane ripoff logo, which is also green, but I agree with you.. I'll tinker with maybe a bold white keyline to check it against a kelly background.. I'll upload that shortly when I'm back at the computer

Looks a little like a 90's logo, make it more realistic.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

I'll see what I can do.. I showed it off to several people around campus (college campus, not the high school in question), and not a single person saw it as anything other than a wave and an "S".. Although I can certainly see the similarity between the crest and a cartoon hand, I don't feel as though it "looks like it" in a sense where anyone would ever naturally "see" that as opposed to the wave, but as I said, I'll see what I can do.. I'm definitely going for simplicity and trying to avoid going the jaguars "illustration" route, because I want this to be more of a solid, respectable, universal "logo" instead of an over-designed illustration..

If anyone has any suggestions of how to address the aforementioned issues, please feel free to share.. I appreciate knowing what's wrong with it, but I also appreciate specific details/reasons it's not a good logo and how to possibly remedy them.

Archived