"The Warriors Return" – Golden State Warriors Rebrand | Revised prim. and sec. logos 6/24/15

Go Red Sox!

Long time lurker here... I don't comment too often but I feel like I need to share my thoughts on this.

This rebrand is good. Really good. But not great, for a couple of reasons:

1. The bits of yellow in the headress are distracting, as others have mentioned.

2. The bridge logo is a little too detailed and has no orange in it. I'd suggest simplifying a bit and accenting the bridge with orange.

3. It may just be me, but the shape of the headress looks a little oblong... More like an oval than a circle. Maybe make the feathers taller and a bit less wide so the warrior fits more evenly within the roundel?

4. The primary logo has quite a bit of orange while it's exclusively an accent in the other logos. Can we see how the roundel looks with a blue or yellow inner circle instead of orange?

5. I think the flag logo is unnecessary.

On top of those things though, I think the logos as a group don't tie in to each other well enough, so right now they look better on their own than together. You've got a warrior in the primary, the bridge in the secondary, and the state outline/basketball in the alternate. They're all great elements alone but don't relate to each other in any way. Is there any way Native American elements could be incorporated into the bridge logo, like maybe a spear as one or both of the beams? Or another alternate logo could be made that includes feathers in some way? I dunno... Just spitballing here.

Don't get me wrong... The logos are great (outside of the issues above), I just feel they should be more cohesive as a group if this is to be a real rebrand. But really good either way!

I also thought it'd be cool to put the state outline with the star on top of the basketball medallion in the primary, basically combining the primary and the alternate... That way the alternate logo you have now could be another partial logo. But that might be too much, haha.

Thank you, DenverKing. I appreciate it.

1. The four, most annoying and distracting specks will be removed.

2. I try to find a way to incorporate orange.

3. I actually had a circular headdress in the beginning and it looked terrible. It looked like petals – even with the notches! So I took an internet photo (which I unfortunately don't have anymore) and used it as kind of a reference.

4. I started with golden-yellow, but decided to go with orange for contrast reasons. I will upload a version with a golden-yellow background.

5. It might become a little more meaningful because of the upcoming uploads in the next days or weeks.

Primary logo with a golden-yellow background:

edit%20Warriors%20primary%20logo_zpsl3zx

If you're ultimately able to incorporate orange into the bridge logo, I'm excited to see it. I think that'll really put that logo over the top. And yeah, I realized soon after I posted that you likely shaped the feathers that way because it's how the headress looks in real life. If you tried it as a circle first and didn't like it, fair enough. Can't fault you for that.

I'm interested to see your uniforms and court that include the flag logo or tie-in with it in some capacity. Still think the entire set could be more cohesive, but maybe the upcoming posts will change my mind.

Lastly, I much prefer the yellow-gold background to the orange. i think this iteration of the primary is absolutely perfect.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long time lurker here... I don't comment too often but I feel like I need to share my thoughts on this.

This rebrand is good. Really good. But not great, for a couple of reasons:

1. The bits of yellow in the headress are distracting, as others have mentioned.

2. The bridge logo is a little too detailed and has no orange in it. I'd suggest simplifying a bit and accenting the bridge with orange.

3. It may just be me, but the shape of the headress looks a little oblong... More like an oval than a circle. Maybe make the feathers taller and a bit less wide so the warrior fits more evenly within the roundel?

4. The primary logo has quite a bit of orange while it's exclusively an accent in the other logos. Can we see how the roundel looks with a blue or yellow inner circle instead of orange?

5. I think the flag logo is unnecessary.

On top of those things though, I think the logos as a group don't tie in to each other well enough, so right now they look better on their own than together. You've got a warrior in the primary, the bridge in the secondary, and the state outline/basketball in the alternate. They're all great elements alone but don't relate to each other in any way. Is there any way Native American elements could be incorporated into the bridge logo, like maybe a spear as one or both of the beams? Or another alternate logo could be made that includes feathers in some way? I dunno... Just spitballing here.

Don't get me wrong... The logos are great (outside of the issues above), I just feel they should be more cohesive as a group if this is to be a real rebrand. But really good either way!

I also thought it'd be cool to put the state outline with the star on top of the basketball medallion in the primary, basically combining the primary and the alternate... That way the alternate logo you have now could be another partial logo. But that might be too much, haha.

Thank you, DenverKing. I appreciate it.

1. The four, most annoying and distracting specks will be removed.

2. I try to find a way to incorporate orange.

3. I actually had a circular headdress in the beginning and it looked terrible. It looked like petals – even with the notches! So I took an internet photo (which I unfortunately don't have anymore) and used it as kind of a reference.

4. I started with golden-yellow, but decided to go with orange for contrast reasons. I will upload a version with a golden-yellow background.

5. It might become a little more meaningful because of the upcoming uploads in the next days or weeks.

Primary logo with a golden-yellow background:

edit%20Warriors%20primary%20logo_zpsl3zx

If you're ultimately able to incorporate orange into the bridge logo, I'm excited to see it. I think that'll really put that logo over the top. And yeah, I realized soon after I posted that you likely shaped the feathers that way because it's how the headress looks in real life. If you tried it as a circle first and didn't like it, fair enough. Can't fault you for that.

I'm interested to see your uniforms and court that include the flag logo or tie-in with it in some capacity. Still think the entire set could be more cohesive, but maybe the upcoming posts will change my mind.

Lastly, I much prefer the yellow-gold background to the orange. i think this iteration of the primary is absolutely perfect.

Thanks, DenverKing. I'm still not 100% sold on that yellow-gold background primary mark (less contrast), but it's an option and of course could easily work as well.

Here now is the secondary mark, the "THE CITY" logo, with intl. orange. I found no other way to incorporate this shade without making it look forced eventually. I also thickened the lines a bit and left off a couple of details.

Warriors%20secondary%20logo%20revised_zp

And here is the primary logo without those four yellow specks (feather notches):

Warriors%20primary%20logo%20revised_zpsu

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I personally love the orange on the bridge logo.

Do you prefer the primary mark with a golden-yellow or an orange inner circle?

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

This is a very good job you've done here. There's just one major sticking point that I have, and it's a point I'm surprised no one else has mentioned. There was comments on whether orange should be added to the Golden Gate Bridge, but I question greatly whether the Golden Gate Bridge should be used at all. You argued in the opening post whether or not using the San Francisco name would be better than Golden State, but not mentioned among your reasoning was the fact that the team plays in Oakland. Golden State works as a way of encompassing the entire Bay Area akin to Minnesota covering Minneapolis and St. Paul and Texas covering Dallas and Fort Worth. Sure, the Giants and Jets may technically play in another state, but as the Nets' existence prior to the move hints at, East Rutherford isn't exactly its own market.

The Golden Gate Bridge is fairly clearly San Francisco. The Bay Bridge, on the other hand, encompasses the entire Bay Area, especially both San Francisco and Oakland. That's why the current team uses it in their primary. I think that you should be using the Bay Bridge instead of the Golden Gate.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is a very good job you've done here. There's just one major sticking point that I have, and it's a point I'm surprised no one else has mentioned. There was comments on whether orange should be added to the Golden Gate Bridge, but I question greatly whether the Golden Gate Bridge should be used at all. You argued in the opening post whether or not using the San Francisco name would be better than Golden State, but not mentioned among your reasoning was the fact that the team plays in Oakland. Golden State works as a way of encompassing the entire Bay Area akin to Minnesota covering Minneapolis and St. Paul and Texas covering Dallas and Fort Worth. Sure, the Giants and Jets may technically play in another state, but as the Nets' existence prior to the move hints at, East Rutherford isn't exactly its own market.

The Golden Gate Bridge is fairly clearly San Francisco. The Bay Bridge, on the other hand, encompasses the entire Bay Area, especially both San Francisco and Oakland. That's why the current team uses it in their primary. I think that you should be using the Bay Bridge instead of the Golden Gate.

Thanks a lot. But I guess you missed something. I wrote:

"Since the team will move back to San Francisco for the 2018-19 season, I decided to add a third color: International Orange – the official color of the Golden Gate Bridge."

I know that the team currently plays in Oakland, but they will move to San Fran. So this would be a rebrand for the 2018/19 Golden State Warriors playing in their new arena in SF.

Thanks a lot. But I guess you missed something. I wrote:

"Since the team will move back to San Francisco for the 2018-19 season, I decided to add a third color: International Orange – the official color of the Golden Gate Bridge."

I know that the team currently plays in Oakland, but they will move to San Fran. So this would be a rebrand for the 2018/19 Golden State Warriors playing in their new arena in SF.

So the move isn't just a rumor? Whoa.

Do they actually have an arena and everything lined up across the bay? I knew they wanted to get out of Oracle, but relocation in that entire market seemed to be something desired by all but a constant dead end. I'm still not sure about narrowing the appeal by going with the Golden Gate Bridge, but if this movement is happening (or a hypothetical you're working off of), it does fit more than I'd expected.

spacer.png

spacer.png

You should have submitted this directly to the Warriors instead of posting it here, because if you did, they might have seriously considered employing your design. It's perfect.

That partial logo.. on a hat.. take my money now.

Try re-branding teams that are dying for a new look. I can't wait how you would do teams like the Thunder, Rockets, Kings, Pacers, etc.

Seriously, sir, you need to get a job at Nike or something when they take over the NBA.

The only two things I noticed at 3am is that the Bridge and State logos don't fit in with the set. The second is the primary roundel. The lines separating Golden State and Warriors should be something more fitting with the warrior headdress theme.

Archived