• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mix & Match

uni_mixmatch.jpg

Away & Alt Socks

uni_socks.jpg

Mix n' Match?

I want to hate this ... but ... I can't (yet). I like how it's kind of a nod to the 1995-99 Hawks' road jerseys. I'll spare judgement for on the court use.

I'm shocked they were legally able to call it volt, considering Nike owns it. Same as maize for Michigan. Adidas calls it 'sun'.

To clarify: are you saying that Nike owns "maize", or Michigan owns "maize"? I assume you mean the latter.

The former, actually.

"Nike also copyrighted the color “Maize,” so Adidas actually had to make a new version of our school color, now known as “Sun” (which the volleyball team has affectionately dubbed the “highlighter” jerseys). While the switch has become progressively easier throughout the past two years, it’s come with growing pains."

http://www.michigandaily.com/content/lexi-zimmerman-and-courtney-fletcher-hurrah-sun-and-blue

All 3 in person plus the mix and match on the screen.

CIRob2gUAAIyTc8.jpg

Alright, I dig it! My favorite one would have to be the "Georgia granite gray"(?) one. Glad that one says "ATLANTA" on it. Still bummed about "ATL", but I won't beat that horse any further. I even like how the volt looks on it all, still has a bit of a yellowish look to it so I think it works.

All that said though....the whole mix-n-match idea is a box full of yikes. I hope that turns out to be a rather minimal occurrence...my fear though is that all the kids are going to think its "kewl" and Atlanta will go crazy with it.

All in all, it's on the good side of a solid "B". So far it's third out of five for rebrands this year in my mind, and if what we're hearing of Toronto is any indication, I don't think they'll be bumping the Hawks down the list at all. Pretty sure it'll be MIL-PHI-ATL-TOR-..................-LAC.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

So how does the new deal with Stance work, anyway? Will players all have the same length socks? Will we never see a Walt Williams/Jason Terry-style full length sock in the NBA again? Or, have those been more or less rendered obsolete by Dwyane Wade-esque style calf padding and compression sleeves?

Mix & Match

uni_mixmatch.jpg

Never did I think I'd see subtle shout-outs to both the Pistol Pete Lime and 90's gradient jerseys in the same set. The 90's jerseys did the two-toned look better though, and for some reason I just can't see this catching on. It's been tried before, and it hasn't caught on any of those times outside of the Harlem Globetrotters. I don't see that changing.

60s.jpg

ThompsonLeapTwardzikColor.jpg

MeadowlarkLemonharlemglobetrotters1.jpg

wiz_display_image.jpg?1305037941

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I'm shocked they were legally able to call it volt, considering Nike owns it. Same as maize for Michigan. Adidas calls it 'sun'.

To clarify: are you saying that Nike owns "maize", or Michigan owns "maize"? I assume you mean the latter.

The former, actually.

"Nike also copyrighted the color “Maize,” so Adidas actually had to make a new version of our school color, now known as “Sun” (which the volleyball team has affectionately dubbed the “highlighter” jerseys). While the switch has become progressively easier throughout the past two years, it’s come with growing pains."

http://www.michigandaily.com/content/lexi-zimmerman-and-courtney-fletcher-hurrah-sun-and-blue

Okay, we're off-topic, but *what*? The article doesn't provide enough detail, though; perhaps the reporter got some things wrong.

For starters, I don't believe that anyone can claim copyright ownership of a single color that isn't part of a broader work (like a painting, or a uniform design). Pantone doesn't own copyrights in each color; they own a copyright in their specific proprietary organization and classification of colors. And, FWIW, UM's communications dept. identifies a specific Pantone code as "Maize" (although, admittedly, this may not be the same color that the athletic department uses).

But, let's assume that Nike didn't copyright the color itself; instead, they tried to copyright the particular proprietary textile dye formulation that they call "Maize". I suspect that they actually kept their formulation a trade secret (as opposed to sharing it with the public by registering it with the Copyright Office), but whatever. Either way, Nike didn't register the word "Maize" as a *trademark* (at least, not according to the USPTO database). So, Adidas could've just dubbed their own proprietary textile dye formulation "Maize" as well.

I suspect that Adidas wanted to apply their dye formulation in multiple contexts. Rather than use "Maize", "Yellow", "Collegiate Gold," or some such, they came up with "Sun" instead. I couldn't find any trademark registrations for "Sun", but they still use that term for marketing purposes (e.g., here and here).

Suffice it to say: I don't think that Nike owns Maize per se. They do own their specific dye formulation of Maize, so I'm sure that Adidas had to struggle to match it -- and I'd guess that some of the gear on campus clashed a little during the transition.

Anyway, I apologize for the detour; back to the Hawks. :P

When looking at a smaller picture of the reveal on ESPN, the neon green looks gold. Hmmm . . . . I think the idea is that in some arenas the green will turn to gold, interesting idea if that was the actual intent.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Black and Red sets I'm ok with. The white however reminds me of when Florida State came out with the gold numbers at the start of last season. I think it's the little amount of black on it that throws it off for me from the rest of the set.

I love the general concept of these, and the pattern is the coolest innovation we've had in the NBA in a loooong time. Love the brashness to go with volt, the triangle pattern and mix-n-match in one rebrand, they really took a leap of faith and I think it works.

However, I find these lacking in the simpler stuff. The wordmark on the home should be Hawks, I don't think Atlanta wouldn't have fit on the shorts, it's only 2 more letters. That Atlanta wordmark seems awfully stretched, especially compared with the ATL and the hawks on the shorts. The number font looks awful, and since it's stretched like the wordmark it clashes with the ATL. The ATL wordmark, if it needs to be there, should be on the black. I'm not in love with the numbers being a different color, but it might grow on me

07Giants.pngnyy.png

The former, actually.

Wow...I thought that "maize and blue" went back decades...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived