Atlanta Hawks -- 2015 rebranding

j'villejags

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hope they would incorporate the triangles into the court like Charlotte with the honeycombs

They should do it in just the paint. Too much triangles would make it harder for then to see the ball maybe.

To mimic the uniforms, half of the court will have the pattern, while the other half will only feature it in the lane.

I really like these jerseys, except for the ugly and horrible volt colour. That volt and red combination seriously makes me feel like throwing up, that's how much I hate that combination. Had that been yellow instead, these jerseys would be amazing.

tdKf43F.png

Seeing the uniforms on stage in the unveiling pics, I'm less convinced of them. The sublimated triforce pattern sticks out way too much, especially in the "Georgia Granite Gray" uni, and the shorts end up looking pretty flat. The off-colored waistband also sticks out like a sore thumb, especially the black one on the red uniform. However, what's probably most interesting about those waistbands is that the Hawks are planning to mix and match these sets, so I'm wondering how all the different color combinations will look.

Also, has anyone commented on "FIRST NBA TEAM TO INCORPORATE SOCKS, SHOES, AND LACE DESIGN INTO OVERALL UNIFORM LOOK"? Are they really going to enforce that and prevent players from wearing their own sneakers, or what? (I guess you can make the joke here that the Hawks don't have any stars anyway, so it doesn't matter that much if all the players have to wear generic sneaks.)

Atlanta-Hawks-New-Uniform-Explained.jpg

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Torch Red, Georgia Granite Gray, Volt Green (okay, i lose on this one) are the official color names.

I'm shocked they were legally able to call it volt, considering Nike owns it. Same as maize for Michigan. Adidas calls it 'sun'.

Mix & Match

uni_mixmatch.jpg

Away & Alt Socks

uni_socks.jpg

Just now taking this all in and...

***CONSPIRACY THEORY ALERT***

It would not surprise me in the least if the Hawks brass somehow managed to work behind the scenes with some of the people from Nike's creative team without directly working with Nike itself (because legalities and such). Too much of this has Nike-esque attributes about it: the inclusion of volt + now Georgia Granite (think anthracite), the pattern thing which has been Nike's latest thing du jour the past few years, the whole mix-and-maych thing (& we all know how rampant that's spread throughout CFB Nike outfitted teams)...and then the socks which although provided by another supplier still look way too Nike-esque in their design, chiefly in the stripes running up the back of the heel and ankle. Even the team uniform photoshop mockup shots are rendered in the telltale Nike died style. And isn't Nike slated to take over the NBA apparel deal in the next year or two? Too much of this is adding up to really make me think this Hawks rebrand definitely had some ulterior influence. We'll know for sure if Nike rolls out league-wide promo shots like they did with the NFL two years back...if the Atlanta Hawks uniforms wind up front and center like the Nike-designed Seahawks uniforms did with their NFL promos, that'll be the clincher. All this being said...we do have certain members here amongst us who would definitely know for certain sp I'll defer to them on this here.

^^^All that to the side...

This is the most original NBA brand identity I've seen in a long time, if not period. On the whole I should hate this...instead I actually REALLY like this. I can tell some certified time and focused effort went into this. And I love the new font...perfect way to update from the now-former font. And that fan apparel is just lovely. I ain't even a Hawks fan but I might just have to cop me some of that at some point. (Plus I got a fair bit of family in and around Atlanta so...)

Overall this gets an A+ from me.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

There's the marketing speak I've been waiting for!

"Triangle pattern meant to represent an attacking hawk in a V shape"

It would have been much better if they just said "We thought the triangles were pretty f'in cool so we put them on the uniform."

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I wish they had used the "A" from the "ATL" jersey in the "ATLANTA" wordmark on the primary home and road marks.

The roundel doesn't fit these uniforms at all. Just use the "pac-man" hawk head inside the circle as the primary and call it a day. There's no need to try and go "classic" when the yellow/green is so bright that looking at it for too long causes retina damage.

The numbers remind me too much of Nike Belotti Bold, or whatever it is that Oregon uses on its football uniforms. These uniforms look too much like a college team trying to be "edgy" in order to appeal more to the "#youths". At least they fit the wordmark, though (looking at you, Clippers).

Why grey? Is it to try to create distance from the Heat, the other team that wears black-red-yellow in the division?

Meh... overall, just meh. I'm in the camp that thought the Hawks' set the past couple of years was alright. These are fine for 2015 but I think they will age poorly and we'll be looking at another new set of uniforms in five years.

my only complaint is that the there is no "Hawks" on any of the jerseys, but i can live with it because they have "HAWKS" running down the shorts. overall I give it an 'A' because it is a very good modern design with great colors, and makes it so there is one less red white and blue team, and give the 76ers uni an 'A' as well, and give the Bucks an 'A+' for being great retro styled uniforms.

The roundel doesn't fit these uniforms at all. Just use the "pac-man" hawk head inside the circle as the primary and call it a day. There's no need to try and go "classic" when the yellow/green is so bright that looking at it for too long causes retina damage.

While the roundel may technically be the primary, it will be used much less than the pac-man logo just because the only reason the created the roundel as the primary to follow league rules of having the city and team name in the primary logo.

It's days like this I really miss ssur.org. What are the official colors? Is Volt yellow or green? How does the Hawks' "Volt Green" differ from the Seahawks' "Action Green"? Evidently, the "black" color is "Georgia Granite Gray." How does that differ from black? Pantone, take me away!

I really like these jerseys, except for the ugly and horrible volt colour. That volt and red combination seriously makes me feel like throwing up, that's how much I hate that combination. Had that been yellow instead, these jerseys would be amazing.

Volt looks best as an accent to dark colors. Black and Navy the best. I think having the numbers in volt instead of just outlining them in it like the wordmark on every jersey is overkill and doesn't look good.

Torch Red, Georgia Granite Gray, Volt Green (okay, i lose on this one) are the official color names.

I'm shocked they were legally able to call it volt, considering Nike owns it. Same as maize for Michigan. Adidas calls it 'sun'.

Mix & Match

uni_mixmatch.jpg

Away & Alt Socks

uni_socks.jpg

Just now taking this all in and...

***CONSPIRACY THEORY ALERT***

It would not surprise me in the least if the Hawks brass somehow managed to work behind the scenes with some of the people from Nike's creative team without directly working with Nike itself (because legalities and such). Too much of this has Nike-esque attributes about it: the inclusion of volt + now Georgia Granite (think anthracite), the pattern thing which has been Nike's latest thing du jour the past few years, the whole mix-and-maych thing (& we all know how rampant that's spread throughout CFB Nike outfitted teams)...and then the socks which although provided by another supplier still look way too Nike-esque in their design, chiefly in the stripes running up the back of the heel and ankle. Even the team uniform photoshop mockup shots are rendered in the telltale Nike died style. And isn't Nike slated to take over the NBA apparel deal in the next year or two? Too much of this is adding up to really make me think this Hawks rebrand definitely had some ulterior influence. We'll know for sure if Nike rolls out league-wide promo shots like they did with the NFL two years back...if the Atlanta Hawks uniforms wind up front and center like the Nike-designed Seahawks uniforms did with their NFL promos, that'll be the clincher. All this being said...we do have certain members here amongst us who would definitely know for certain sp I'll defer to them on this here.

^^^All that to the side...

This is the most original NBA brand identity I've seen in a long time, if not period. On the whole I should hate this...instead I actually REALLY like this. I can tell some certified time and focused effort went into this. And I love the new font...perfect way to update from the now-former font. And that fan apparel is just lovely. I ain't even a Hawks fan but I might just have to cop me some of that at some point. (Plus I got a fair bit of family in and around Atlanta so...)

Overall this gets an A+ from me.

I was thinking this as well. I mean, they called it volt themselves. In fact, I believe the only other time we heard ANYONE use the term Volt as a color was Nike themselves.

I also feel the same regarding the bolded portion. At first I gave these a 4.5 or 5/10. Now, I absolutely love these. Still not completely sold on the mix-and-match, which I believe is the reason for the contrasting waistbands, but who knows... it may actually be pretty decent. Nike's use of this idea has mainly been used for faux/throwbacks such as Ohio State, Michigan State, Syracuse, etc.

Overall, this is a very unique look for a league that has been relatively bland the past few years, whether it be in uniforms (Nets, Clippers, Raptors mock-up) or Logos (Nets, Clippers, Raptors).

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Archived