Atlanta Hawks -- 2015 rebranding

j'villejags

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't expect to like these, but I really do. They work. Even the volt color does with red and black. All the unis look really good and cohesive, and even remind of the 80's/90's era. I hope the black is the alternate, though. This is how you design a modern uniform that harkens back to history. Sixers, take notes.

I don't love or hate these. My first thought is that these looked like University of Maryland uniforms. I love the bright color combined with the black and red, but greatly dislike the "ATL" (equally as awful as the Suns' "PHX") and I feel the white jersey could've been done a lot better with those colors.

Overall: Stuck between a B- and C+

Early thoughts before the official unveil - I like em. They took chances, they've got flair but they're not so over the top. The lack of a volt jersey makes it likely a colt Hawks jersey is on the horizon. Feels like a shoutout to old Hawks unis which had an edge to them while feeling modern and sleek. I'm not wild about volt but I think they've created an Oregon-esque identity intentionally. It's a versatile color scheme and their logo is extremely versatile in its simplicity. I expect the Hawks to have all kinds of unis in the coming years. I also like the colored waistbands: nice touch

Early thoughts before the official unveil - I like em. They took chances, they've got flair but they're not so over the top. The lack of a volt jersey makes it likely a colt Hawks jersey is on the horizon. Feels like a shoutout to old Hawks unis which had an edge to them while feeling modern and sleek. I'm not wild about volt but I think they've created an Oregon-esque identity intentionally. It's a versatile color scheme and their logo is extremely versatile in its simplicity. I expect the Hawks to have all kinds of unis in the coming years. I also like the colored waistbands: nice touch

The only thing I don't like about these is the stupid triangle pattern. Remove that and you have a nice jersey. The font on the ATL one is awful too.

What makes it even worse is that the shorts don't have the triangle pattern other than down the side, which is going to make these look awful when worn.

Either way still better than the Clippers. Nowhere close to Sixers or Bucks though.

FOR THE LAST TIME ITS NOT GREEN! ITS NOT NEON GREEN!!! STOP CALLING IT NEON GREEN!!!!!

Volt is Electric/neon/highlighter YELLOW. /rant

Sorry, had to get that off my chest, the miss information is killing me.

Miss Information sounds pretty hot. But there's really no misinformation going around about the color.

But in all honesty, El Scorcho said it best. There is more green in this color than your typical highlighter yellow.

It depends on where it's being used. It look more yellow-ish against red.

My least favorite part of this is easily the green-ness of the color. Highlighter yellow or regular yellow/gold would be a trillion times better...

with that said, the only other thing I would change on these to make them great is make the number color match the wordmark color on every jersey. If they did that they would have the color balance perfect. With this there is just too much...well let's say 'bright lime'. Make those changes and I love them. I like the pattern and don't think it's too over the top. I like the general layout of the uniform as well. Hope they tweak these within the next few years and end up with something unique and visually appealing. My favorite part is that "ATLANTA" wordmark on the two jerseys. That is pretty.

I am surprised by how much love these are getting. I feel that they are trying too hard. Of course, it is a move back in the right direction after the red/blue experiment.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE: the PAC-MAN logo. If you tone that yellow down to the yellow of the old days, then, it's a thumbs up from me but there are still things bugging me.

My favorite uniform is the home one, probably due to the absence of black. But black really needs to either be in all uniforms or none. Because of my love for the white uniform, I'd rather there be a red road uniform and no alt. I think this color scheme works better without black.

• LOVE: PAC-MAN. Looks best on the white shorts
  • Like: The white and red shorts. That's how the sublimated look should be on the jersey
  • Minor nitpick: Number font, but that's the era we are in.
  • Dislike: Mismatched color schemes. I guess this is a trend now (Suns do it; Wild pretty much do it) to leave out one entire color on a uniform
  • Dislike: "Atlanta" at home
  • Dislike: Volt. Standard yellow (athletic gold?) would look great
  • Dislike: the sublimation. Over-used. I could deal with it on side panels
  • Dislike: The funny "A" on the red jersey.
  • HATE: Use of ATL. But I am also the "PHILA" hater on this board.
  • HATE: The secondary logo. Are they copying Aerosmith? Are they hoping female fans will get it as a tramp stamp?
Weird. I have two likes above and eight dislikes. Yet I kinda like 'em overall and I definitely prefer it to the soulless previous look. I know teams don't do this, but if they just went with red and athletic gold (like the 'Nique era), had consistent color schemes, went "Hawks" and "Atlanta", and toned down the sublimation, this would be one terrific rebrand. I could even deal with the secondary logo being there (given its less-than-prominent place).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The more I look at these, the more I love them. Its the perfect modern take on historical uniforms. The one side panel on the shorts is from the 90's jerseys, the Pacman from the 'Nique era, Hawks on the shorts from the pre- 'Nique era, and most of all it goes back to a color scheme that had been the Hawks colors* for 34 years.

If they would of put "hawks" on the home then everybody would be shouting from their high horses "WHY DID THEY PUT HAWKS ON THE JERSEY TWICE" There's no way they could of fit ATLANTA on the shorts, it worked for the Thrashers because they had the entire long sleeve to fit it on.

As for the Reds being the Alt and not the away, the red ATL alt had been one of the little cool things the team has done in the last set that us fans liked. Taking that away would be a big mistake because the fans like it so much. Plus the black away really makes us the Spurs-East. ;) And it evens the teams with Black and Red aways with 5 each.

I wonder if our good friend ColorWerx would be will to throw together some comparative swatches after the unveiling of the new Hawks Volt, the old hawks yellow, Sounders Green, and Timbers Yellow for us?

*With a more electrified yellow

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

Its been a while since I posted anything on here but I just really wanted to say something about these because I am honestly surprised by how much I like these. I am usually one for simple and classic and lean more towards the traditional side of of the design debates. However, I love pretty much everything about these. The color scheme is modern and unique without being in your face or over the top. I actually love the pattern also and I'm intrigued to hear what the inspiration behind it is. They are simple with just enough flair to make them stand out and hopefully develop very strong brand. The colored waistband is a nice touch that I love as well. The only nitpick I have about the Hawks new look is the red uni being the alt with the ATL wordmark. I would have preferred that be in the black, but I imagine each uniform will be worn about 1/3 of the season anyway.

These are... bad. They'd be infinitely better with just two changes: Remove the sublimation and make the "volt","neon yellow" or whatever it's called a stadnard yellow. Now it's just awful. OK not Clippers awful,but awful.

shocked a pro team really went with volt as an official team color

Such a trendy color and not sure if these have real staying power

psh the Columbus Blue Jackets were wearing neon green 15 years ago.

RonTugnuttWhereRtheyNow.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived