Your Favorite Stats

Sport

Hello,

Maybe this has been done before and even if so it's still a fun topic so whatevs. One of my favorite internet activities is spending a lot of time on the different pro[insertSportHere]reference.com websites and in going through the rabbit holes I invariably find stats that jump out to me.

Here's a couple of my favorites:

- Wayne Gretzky and Brent Gretzky hold the NHL record for most points by a pair of brothers. Wayne has 2,857. Brent has 4.

- In 1998-1999 Tyler Wright appeared in 74 games for the Penguins in the regular season and playoffs. He had an historically bad year scoring no goals and providing no assists. It's just weird because he became a decent point contributor later in his career for the Blue Jackets and I feel like I could play 74 games in the NHL and accidentally chip in an assist.

What are some of your favorite stats obscure, quirky, et al?

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Similarly, Hank and Tommy Aaron have the most HR as brothers, with Tommy contributing 13.
  • EDIT: While poking around hockey stuff, someone on R****T said that Gretzky would be the NHL's all-time points leader even if we discounted all of his goals. True? If so, wow.
  • Odd homer stat...don't know if this is still true, but at one point, UNLV had sold out four football games; all against Wisconsin.
  • I believe the 1987 Twins are the only World Series champion to be outscored in the regular season.
  • Ron Dayne is the only person to run for 200+ yards in two bowl games. He did it in three.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

EDIT: While poking around hockey stuff, someone on R****T said that Gretzky would be the NHL's all-time points leader even if we discounted all of his goals. True? If so, wow.

Yep. Gretzky has 1963 assists, and second in all-time points total is Messier with 1887. Insane, I know.

Apples & oranges... my fav fact is for all that Texas legend Nolan Ryan accomplished & achieved with the Angels, Astros, & Rangers as a household name, he won his lone World Series title with arguably the most famous New York (Miracle '69) Mets team of all, when he was just 22yrs old.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

What Gregg Zaun never lets Jays fans forget on the broadcasts:

He holds the record for most walk-off Grand Slams with 4 or something.

I think I've heard him mention this about 5 times this season.

The Gretzky and Aaron bros. stats are my favourites, but I've also always liked that Glenn Hall holds the record for most consecutive starts for an NHL goalie, and that he threw up before every start because of nerves. Thats a lot of puking.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Two of my favorites:

• Louisville is the first school in NCAA history to appear in a BCS Bowl, Men's and Women's Final Fours, and College World Series in the same year (Year of the Cardinal).
  • Louisville men's basketball has only 4 coaches since 1944 (Peck Hickman, John Dormo, Denny Crum, Rick Pitino).

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I liked how the Mets' win over Montreal in the last game in Expos history gave them the win in the all-time series, 299-298. The World Series should be a best of 597.

Juan Pierre is the only player in Major League history with at least 175 hits in a season with five different teams.

Albert Pujols is the only player in Major League history with 50 doubles in a season in both leagues.

When Frank Robinson won the Triple Crown in '66 it was the only year he led the league in any of the three categories.

Wilt Chamberlain never fouled out of game.

Most of the stats in this thread including my own are more goofy than anything else, but that is actually impressive.

I don't think there's any question that big men got a lot more leeway in Chamberlain's day then they do now. But even so, I don't know how anyone could look at that and not be blown away by that figure.

Archived