Your Favorite Stats

Sport

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Wilt Chamberlain never fouled out of game.

Most of the stats in this thread including my own are more goofy than anything else, but that is actually impressive.

I don't think there's any question that big men got a lot more leeway in Chamberlain's day then they do now. But even so, I don't know how anyone could look at that and not be blown away by that figure.

Bill Simmons wrote about that in his pyramid book. How Wilt's lack of fouling might've harmed his team more as a means to pad his stats. Wilt apparently also passed the ball off a lot, I don't know much about that personally, to pump his assists numbers.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Wilt Chamberlain never fouled out of game.

Most of the stats in this thread including my own are more goofy than anything else, but that is actually impressive.

I don't think there's any question that big men got a lot more leeway in Chamberlain's day then they do now. But even so, I don't know how anyone could look at that and not be blown away by that figure.

Bill Simmons wrote about that in his pyramid book. How Wilt's lack of fouling might've harmed his team more as a means to pad his stats. Wilt apparently also passed the ball off a lot, I don't know much about that personally, to pump his assists numbers.

The only thing I can say with Wilt is I can't think of a player that great who's criticized more frequently.

Even with that, how is it ever a good thing for a player to foul out of a game? Not once have I ever heard someone say, that guy should be fouling out of more games. Yet someone can still find fault with it somehow. I just don't get it.

Stan Musial has a particularly interesting stat that I've always thought to be pretty incredible: he retired with 1,815 hits at home, and 1,815 hits on the road. Talk about consistency.

I also found it kinda funny that Wade Boggs, of all players, was the first ever to hit a homer for his 3,000th hit. Not even Mays, Aaron, or Musial did that. Heck, I'd have even expected Robin Yount to have done that before I'd have ever expected Boggs to.

Oh, and speaking of 3,000 hits, the fact that Roberto Clemente's final hit before his death was #3,000 is pretty neat. One of the most underrated players ever, in my opinion.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I also found it kinda funny that Wade Boggs, of all players, was the first ever to hit a homer for his 3,000th hit. Not even Mays, Aaron, or Musial did that. Heck, I'd have even expected Robin Yount to have done that before I'd have ever expected Boggs to.

Maybe a guy might try harder to hit a home run if they're at 2999, I guess, but I see it more as a matter of luck than anything.

Anyway, I saw a really interesting one on the Sportsnet ticker today. It was something along the lines of that 30% of the players inducted in the HHOF in the last 20 years were coached by Scotty Bowman at some point in their careers. That's crazy.

Maybe a guy might try harder to hit a home run if they're at 2999, I guess, but I see it more as a matter of luck than anything.

Anyway, I saw a really interesting one on the Sportsnet ticker today. It was something along the lines of that 30% of the players inducted in the HHOF in the last 20 years were coached by Scotty Bowman at some point in their careers. That's crazy.

I came here to post that one. I think it was 31%. I can't even believe that.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

My favorite Wilt stat is that in the 1961-62 season, he missed so little play that, courtesy of overtimes, he averaged 48.5 minutes a game.

My favorite stat ever is that in the 1927 season both Babe Ruth & Lou Gehrig hit more homers at Fenway Park than the entire Boston Red Sox team combined.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

This is what happens when everyone just says " :censored: it" and decides not to play any real defense.

Troy State 258, DeVry 141

Essentially 10 combined points per minute.

The previous record for points by one team in a game was 187, set by Troy the previous year. They broke it by 71.

Troy broke the record for most points in a half with 123 in the first half, and then scored 135 in the second half to beat that record.

Troy broke what would've been the record for most three pointers in a game (25) in the second half, with 30. Their 51 total was more than double the previous record.

The high scorer for the game? Dartez Daniel... from DeVry. He went 20 for 30 (2/4 from three) and had 11 rebounds... in 25 minutes played.

The video isn't all that fun to watch, it's basically just a bunch of long passes, threes, and dunks. Not really that impressive when no one's trying to play D. It is pretty entertaining around 55:00 when Troy surpasses 200, the scoreboard malfunctions, and the PA guy says they'll be tallying Troy's points in the fouls column, then everything disappears and they decide they'll just roll Troy's score over and start back at 0.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived