2015 CFL Uniforms

docrocket

For the first time in my entire account's existence, I have some news to share that hasn't popped up on this site yet. Anyway, the BC Lions have retired their gun-metal alternate jersey and it will not be worn this season. I think this sucks. As a Lions fan, I think that for an alternate jersey, it was really cool. I will miss it.

As a casual observer of the CFL aligned with no team, I'm also bummed by that news. That gun-metal alt is the only CFL alternate uniform I regularly think about. I'm surprised more teams haven't experimented with that shade of grey.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO blue pants would have made this perfect but damn the Argos look so much better with the signature series helmet.

That said they just seem to wear them at random, which is confusing. Does anyone know how this is decided?

crop_21776973746.jpg

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

^Intetesting how they wore white despite being the official "home" team (even though the game was played in TD Place).

Earlier this season, they made a deal about wearing all-white (including helmets) for the first time in fifty-plus years. They've done it three times this year alone. I, for one, think it's a fantastic look, but I would like to see it designated as an official road alternate, not a "let's wear whatever we want whenever we want" combo.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

For the first time in my entire account's existence, I have some news to share that hasn't popped up on this site yet. Anyway, the BC Lions have retired their gun-metal alternate jersey and it will not be worn this season. I think this sucks. As a Lions fan, I think that for an alternate jersey, it was really cool. I will miss it.

As a casual observer of the CFL aligned with no team, I'm also bummed by that news. That gun-metal alt is the only CFL alternate uniform I regularly think about. I'm surprised more teams haven't experimented with that shade of grey.

In my opinion, BC, Calgary, and Toronto were the only teams with decent Signature Jerseys. I agree with you about that shade but I find that it is very hard to create a great jersey with it. That's a big part of why I will miss the Lions' third a lot. They took a shade of grey that's very hard to do something amazing with, used it with a throwback look and made some jersey magic.

IMO blue pants would have made this perfect but damn the Argos look so much better with the signature series helmet.

That said they just seem to wear them at random, which is confusing. Does anyone know how this is decided?

The one thing Toronto definitely got right with their Signature Jersey was the helmet. For a game or two a season, the white monochrome looks great on the Argos but I think they look the best with their blue pants and white helmet.

^Intetesting how they wore white despite being the official "home" team (even though the game was played in TD Place).

Earlier this season, they made a deal about wearing all-white (including helmets) for the first time in fifty-plus years. They've done it three times this year alone. I, for one, think it's a fantastic look, but I would like to see it designated as an official road alternate, not a "let's wear whatever we want whenever we want" combo.

It is probably a sign of things to come once Adidas takes over. I just hope that doesn't end up being a bad thing.

• 2 weeks later...

The Alouettes are wearing their Royal Canadian Air Force Signature alt vs. the Ti-Cats (who look great as usual in B-W-W). I'm tired of bird mascot teams using Oregon-esque shoulder wings, but that helmet is interesting enough to capture my attention. Not sure about the GFGS with the red&blue MTL wordmark either though. In fact, the helmet is probably the only thing I can stand.

Also, Montreal's punt returner is #0. Didn't know that was allowed.

XCUfRbB.jpg

The Alouettes are wearing their Royal Canadian Air Force Signature alt vs. the Ti-Cats (who look great as usual in B-W-W). I'm tired of bird mascot teams using Oregon-esque shoulder wings, but that helmet is interesting enough to capture my attention. Not sure about the GFGS with the red&blue MTL wordmark either though. In fact, the helmet is probably the only thing I can stand.

Also, Montreal's punt returner is #0. Didn't know that was allowed.

I assume you mean Gray for Gray's Sake?

Admittedly, it's a strech but it's not just gray for the heck of it.

The 425 squardon of the Royal Canadian Air Force, nicknamed the Alouettes, flew the Wellington, Halifax and, Lancaster bombers all painted in gray.

But, I agree the helmet is kind of cool. Kind of an interesting take on the squardon's logo.

425_Squadron.jpg

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I know that the whole uniform is themed off that air force squadron and that the Alouettes have grey/silver in their current color scheme, but coming up with a predominantly grey jersey and pants for an alt in this current era of football uniform design is GFGS. I just can't believe their intentions were that pure. That's a philosophical issue though.

A couple pics from the game to make sure I don't make the egregious mistake ITT of talking about a uniform matchup without posting pics of it:

crop_21806872714.jpg

crop_21806610517.jpg

XCUfRbB.jpg

Am I the only one here who hates Toronto's all white look?

I don't hate it but I certanly don't prefer it.

I like it a lot, but i think it is mostly because of the helmet looking a lot better than the regular blue. If you could take those three stripes and transplant it onto the regular helmet, perhaps by switching the blues it would be perfect.

I also generally like all white looks in football though, so.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I like it a lot, but i think it is mostly because of the helmet looking a lot better than the regular blue. If you could take those three stripes and transplant it onto the regular helmet, perhaps by switching the blues it would be perfect.

I also generally like all white looks in football though, so.

I find it too bland, it's like Hamilton and their all white look, just horrible looking.

zyyMk1d.png

I actually dig those numbers. The font and the outlines just work for some reason. Would I like to see it on the primaries? Hell naw. But it would work on an alt.

The rest of that iniform, however, (save for the helmet) is crap.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• 2 weeks later...

I guess we can now say goodbye to Winnipeg's gold road jersey (I will miss it.) and goodbye to the superhero Signature Jerseys with a logo on the front. (Edmonton, Toronto, Winnipeg and Ottawa.) Ottawa's was terrible, though I would have liked to see them sport the plaid helmet for one game. BC and Calgary's thirds were decent, and Hamilton and Toronto have awesome main jerseys. Saskatchewan's jerseys are all abominations that need to burn.

I guess we can now say goodbye to Winnipeg's gold road jersey (I will miss it.) and goodbye to the superhero Signature Jerseys with a logo on the front. (Edmonton, Toronto, Winnipeg and Ottawa.) Ottawa's was terrible, though I would have liked to see them sport the plaid helmet for one game. BC and Calgary's thirds were decent, and Hamilton and Toronto have awesome main jerseys. Saskatchewan's jerseys are all abominations that need to burn.

If they try putting Saskatchewan's design on the Primeknit body it might be the first time adidas improves a jersey.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If they try putting Saskatchewan's design on the Primeknit body it might be the first time adidas improves a jersey.

I just wish they would switch to their throwbacks. They wear them every year and they are so nice and so much better than the other crap they have been wearing and don't even get me started on that hideous green/neon cluster you know what of a trainwreck.

I just wish they would switch to their throwbacks. They wear them every year and they are so nice and so much better than the other crap they have been wearing and don't even get me started on that hideous green/neon cluster you know what of a trainwreck.
Oh, hell yes. This is probably one of my favorite football uniforms ever:

012213144454.jpg

It needs to be worn full time. End of story.

Archived