Michigan Returning To Nike

scraw28

I mocked up what I'd like to see from Nike and Michigan. Simple, clean, and perfect.

MichiganFootball.png

(BucksFan5's template)

Hopefully a little more maize in the away jersey. They look a bit like Penn State.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miami you are on the clock to ditch Adidas and return to Nike.

Being a private school, Miami always thinks in terms of $$$$$ first. Adidas paid more than Nike and UA were willing to...simple as that. Until Miami's football program returns to being a powerhouse like it used to be, I don't think Nike or UA will top what Adidas is giving them.

Wait. Miami is a private school? I didn't know that.

I mocked up what I'd like to see from Nike and Michigan. Simple, clean, and perfect.

MichiganFootball.png

(BucksFan5's template)

Hopefully a little more maize in the away jersey. They look a bit like Penn State.

Well, yeah... except for the maize pants and instantly recognizable helmet. Viewing the jerseys by themselves isn't the point... and, besides "looks like Penn State" sounds like a complement.

Being a private school, Miami always thinks in terms of $$$$$ first. Adidas paid more than Nike and UA were willing to...simple as that. Until Miami's football program returns to being a powerhouse like it used to be, I don't think Nike or UA will top what Adidas is giving them.

Wait. Miami is a private school? I didn't know that.

^^^ they sure are. Learned everything I needed to know about that from 30 for 30 U documentary

The Harbaugh and Brady eras both look nice. However, I share CLEstones opinion in that I've never cared for the inconsistencies the away jersey always seems to have with the home jersey.

1001_thumb.jpg

jim-harbaugh1.jpg

333w.jpg

tommich.jpg

The home set has looked about the same throughout history -- (and it's perfect)...

BobChappuisLOOKmagazine_thumb.jpg

...while the away sets have always been trying to force the maize in there. More often than not, they are missing the mark.

12012897-large.jpg?2696ac

DENARD-ROBINSON-PASS-PASS-thumb-590x451-

Sorry for the photo gallery.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

We're Michigan. The only consistent thing about our road look is that it changes often. From piping to tusks back to inconsistent piping that varies player to player.

The white uniform is the only jersey that can be tinkered with.

What I'm saying is.... we're used to it (not that we condone it by any means)

Edit: we also wore these whites in recent years.

Denard+Robinson+Allstate+Sugar+Bowl+Mich

michigan-nike.jpg

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

We're Michigan. The only consistent thing about our road look is that it changes often. From piping to tusks back to inconsistent piping that varies player to player.

I'd say changing the away jersey has been a _ichigan thing for years, no reason to change it. I just think the last few changes have been poor to say the least. If they had kept the away version of the Under the Lights uniform they would still have one of the best overall looks in the country.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Fair enough. :)

How about some illegible yellow shoulder numbers as a compromise?

Michigan2.png

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Just pair the away UTL uniforms with the maize pants (and take the extraneous chest logo off) Id be fine with that as an away set as well.

By the way, I wonder if Nike is putting the swoosh back to the collar like they used to.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Just pair the away UTL uniforms with the maize pants (and take the extraneous chest logo off) Id be fine with that as an away set as well.

By the way, I wonder if Nike is putting the swoosh back to the collar like they used to.

I was on board with you until you mentioned bringing back the bumble bee jerseys. Your opinion is now invalid. ;)

A Michigan away uniform should be clean, understated, and slightly different than the home uniform. Take your pick of anything from the 80s, 90s, or early 00s... Anything simple will work wonders.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=JN.aPLSgzIbdXc2Ozb8h7XbFQ&pid=15.1&P=0

MichiganFootball.png

(BucksFan5's template)

Well, yeah... except for the maize pants and instantly recognizable helmet. Viewing the jerseys by themselves isn't the point... and, besides "looks like Penn State" sounds like a complement.

Sure, in a game, no one would have a problem. I'm just thinking if a fan were to buy a jersey. Looking like Penn State is DEFINITELY a compliment. :)

Looking through the pics ITT once again reinforces my opinion that solid blue numbers look infinitely better for us on the away jersey than trying to add a maize outline. As has been discussed, there's no reason to shoehorn Maize For Maize's Sake onto the away jersey.

I've been fond of the Sugar Bowl* stripes for how understated they are while still filling the sleeve space (which everyone has to keep in mind, has gotten so small as to make Northwestern stripes and block Ms + stripes improbable):

Denard+Robinson+Allstate+Sugar+Bowl+Mich

I like the balance of the solid blue block M on the jersey diagonal from the one on the pants too. Just remove the maize outline on the numbers, switch in our regular helmet, and I'd be fine with the result as our regular away uniform.

DO NOT bring back the bumblebee yoke. I've always had a complicated relationship with the maize yoke, in that I sort of like it, but also find it unnecessary. idk, I'm fine with the fact that it was a one-off in our history.

1974OSUBell_thumb.jpg

1968Michiganfootball_thumb.jpg

I sorta like the simplicity of that 1974 stripe, but it seems too dated now, I think, and the fact that it was meant to match with white pants should leave it in the forgotten annals of history. That 1968 inclusion of the block M might work, though. I just think it may overload the uniform with block Ms if we keep one on our pants.

*not to mention, that Sugar Bowl victory was our last success

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

I'm excited for this for a few reasons

One: Adidas schools don't win, Nike schools do. As silly as this sounds, this coupled with Harbaugh returning looks good for Michigan. Why does this Ohio State fan want to see Michigan return to prominence? Because the rivalry has gotten boring and beating the pants off of buffoons like Brady Hoke doesn't thrill me at all.

Two: the name of the college football game these days is alternate uniforms and on the whole Nike's garbage alternate uniforms are far less garbage than Adidas' garbage uniforms. We know Michigan is going to get an alternate. We know it will be bad. We know it won't be as bad as this https://bigtennetworks.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/uspw_5536566.jpg

Three: Adidas trashed their white jerseys. Michigan's white jerseys usually looked good and classy under Nike. (except for when they got all pipey later in the deal).

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm excited for this for a few reasons

One: Adidas schools don't win, Nike schools do. As silly as this sounds, this coupled with Harbaugh returning looks good for Michigan. Why does this Ohio State fan want to see Michigan return to prominence? Because the rivalry has gotten boring and beating the pants off of buffoons like Brady Hoke doesn't thrill me at all.

Two: the name of the college football game these days is alternate uniforms and on the whole Nike's garbage alternate uniforms are far less garbage than Adidas' garbage uniforms. We know Michigan is going to get an alternate. We know it will be bad. We know it won't be as bad as this https://bigtennetworks.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/uspw_5536566.jpg

Three: Adidas trashed their white jerseys. Michigan's white jerseys usually looked good and classy under Nike. (except for when they got all pipey later in the deal).

I mostly agree with you, but that was a bad example for a bad adidas alternate. Or at least that was I thought a really cool retro jersey.

Except Michigan's deal with Nike will be the richest in the country, just like their Nike deal in 1994 and their Adidas deal in 2007. If you're a world class university, it doesn't matter which big manufacturer it is, you'll get offered big buck$.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Archived