Minnesota Timberwolves Rebrand

Twinberwolvikings

There has been no official announcement yet, but shortly after the draft Timberwolves GM/Coach Flip Saunders commented "we need new jerseys" in an interview with Dan Barreiro on Minnesota sports radio station KFAN.

I would imagine a large majority of Timberwolves fans, and NBA fans in general, agree with Flip's statement. The current branding is too busy, not very aesthetically pleasing, and has grown stale. Given that Flip is the GM and a close friend of owner Glen Taylor, I think its say to assume new uniforms will be coming within the next few years (hopefully after the Nike takeover). As the team has completely re-vamped the roster and now has a promising young core, the timing is right.

With respect to the logo, there have been rumors recently that the team will tweak the shade of blue and move toward the a slightly modified Wolf head logo (sans trees and word mark) as its primary. That logo was placed on the team's new practice court at Mayo Clinic Square:

dronefootagemusic1mp4-3599020-8.576x324.

The (IMHO) beautiful secondary logo will apparently be reserved for the team's season ticket / VIP "Hardwood Club".

I will continue to post official and unofficial updates on this thread as the process gets underway.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Wolves are a case of less is more. I love their inaugural unis. I own a blue Garnett with the green 'WOLVES' across the chest and love it.

I currently love their logos. The snarling wolf with the trees is great. The howling wolf is great.

I've sort of grown to like their new unis but they need green, even if it's minimal. They are definitely on the generic side.

sig.png

I actually like their current uniforms, but I understand the need for change. From seeing all the tweaks they've made to the practice courts and the alternate logo, I can assume that they will not be bringing back the green (unfortunately). I hope they don't go overboard and make it a rebrand because I think the Wolves have pretty nice logos. Hopefully, the changes are close to minimal.

I like the current shade of blue, wouldn't mind some dark green added to it. Going back to the regular blue and green would look too much like the Mavs and now Bucks. They have something unique, stick with it. I'd even tweak the jerseys before I considered a complete overhaul.

^ I like those jerseys but that wordmark and the numbers were terrible. Put the current wordmark and numbers on them and you might have something.

Although I wouldnt be completely ooposed to something that was more along the lines of their inaugural set either.

^ I like those jerseys but that wordmark and the numbers were terrible. Put the current wordmark and numbers on them and you might have something.

Although I wouldnt be completely ooposed to something that was more along the lines of their inaugural set either.

I agree i never liked the wordmarks or numbers on those uniforms. Just splice them with the current wordmarks and numbers and voila!!
shado_logo.gif

Timberwolves.png

What was so wrong with these?

Green-check

Tree collar- check

Font- check

Just fix the collar and get rid of the piping and they're perfect

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I think the Wolves are a case of less is more. I love their inaugural unis. I own a blue Garnett with the green 'WOLVES' across the chest and love it.

I currently love their logos. The snarling wolf with the trees is great. The howling wolf is great.

I've sort of grown to like their new unis but they need green, even if it's minimal. They are definitely on the generic side.

I'm with you on this. I love the Wolves original unis, but it's mostly out of nostalgia. I went to a handful of games that inaugural season when they played in the Metrodome and Tony Campbell was their only real scoring threat.

Those uniforms were -- and still are -- beautiful in their simplicity. I also don't think they'd fit in today's NBA.

I'd welcome a new look for the Wolves. My preference would be to take the blue-green-black-gray set posted above by Nash61 but simplified.

Archived