New name for the Minnesota Wild?

CubsFan4Life

Their primary logo is the VERY THING that makes them look minor league. That's why the sweater is so nice.

Have to disagree with you on that one...

Yeah hawk36 is definitely in the minority there. If you look at the main site, only Chicago and Detroit have higher ratings on their primary logo than the Wild.

Wait, we are talking about the same logo, right? This cartoon mashup is the 3rd highest rated logo in the NHL? Wow. I guess I just don't get NHL fans. Imagine that logo on a baseball cap. No one would believe it's a MLB team.

wild-logo7.gif

except this is the NHL not MLB. Only a few hockey crests could pass as MLB hat logos (Bruins and Canadiens). Hockey crests are suppose to be creative and have small details like the wild's because NHL crests are so much bigger.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know. I see many really nice logos in the bunch that aren't overly designed, and trying to throw the kitchen sink at a design problem. The Wild logo is like a first concept, lots of good ideas but too much going on. It needs to be refined and stop trying to tell the whole story all in one logo.

Highlights to me are:

- LA

- Calgary

- St. Louis

- Toronto

- Montreal

- Boston

- Detroit

- Tampa Bay

- Philadelpia

- New Jersey

All solid designs.

every-NHL-team-logo-by-year.jpg

Their primary logo is the VERY THING that makes them look minor league. That's why the sweater is so nice.

Yeah hawk36 is definitely in the minority there. If you look at the main site, only Chicago and Detroit have higher ratings on their primary logo than the Wild.

Wait, we are talking about the same logo, right? This cartoon mashup is the 3rd highest rated logo in the NHL? Wow. I guess I just don't get NHL fans. Imagine that logo on a baseball cap. No one would believe it's a MLB team.

wild-logo7.gif

No one would believe it's an MLB logo because it's quality, ingenuity and overall attractiveness is so far and above anything that league has produced it's ridiculous...

I don't know. I see many really nice logos in the bunch that aren't overly designed, and trying to throw the kitchen sink at a design problem. The Wild logo is like a first concept, lots of good ideas but too much going on. It needs to be refined and stop trying to tell the whole story all in one logo.

Highlights to me are:

- LA

- Calgary

- St. Louis

- Toronto

- Montreal

- Boston

- Detroit

- Tampa Bay

- Philadelpia

- New Jersey

All solid designs.

What's funny about this is that many people dislike Toronto's logo, which is a product of the 1970s and representative of some of the team's worst seasons. Many, myself included, would like to see the Leafs return to one of their more prominent classic logos...

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/201/Toronto_Maple_Leafs/1964/Primary_Logo

Just judging from your take on the Wild's primary? You probably don't like the logo many Leafs fans would actually prefer.

Scenery Bear is very clever, but I don't think it inspires the same kind of fealty that a big bright letter N with an arrow and a star does. That logo makes me want to be a North Stars fan, and I'm a Chicago fan who should hate them, and also they don't exist.

Oh, and the 35-point leaf is just a big blob to me. Toronto's logo is a product of the late '70s, but hey, so is most of Toronto. Either design a new maple leaf that sheds some of the '70sness (god, the Kabel) or keep sticking with it, but don't go backward.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oh yeah, I did think of that! The Toronto Subway lettering is so cool. It's like the best of Futura and Neutraface rolled into one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Highlights to me are:

- LA

- Calgary

- St. Louis

- Toronto

- Montreal

- Boston

- Detroit

- Tampa Bay

- Philadelpia

- New Jersey

All solid designs.

What's funny about this is that many people dislike Toronto's logo, which is a product of the 1970s and representative of some of the team's worst seasons. Many, myself included, would like to see the Leafs return to one of their more prominent classic logos...

Just judging from your take on the Wild's primary? You probably don't like the logo many Leafs fans would actually prefer.

I don't mind the Leaf's logo you reference. Especially since it has history behind it. I do think the new one is a stronger overall logomark. I'm probably a bit different in my views since I'm not a hockey fan. So, I am seeing these logos purely as a graphic designer and not someone with extensive knowledge of the league.

wild-logo7.gif

Just like how if you put the Cleveland "C" on an NHL jersey, that would look awful...

The Wild have a perfect NHL logo. Creative and well-designed.

Highlights to me are:

- LA

- Calgary

- St. Louis

- Toronto

- Montreal

- Boston

- Detroit

- Tampa Bay

- Philadelpia

- New Jersey

All solid designs.

I don't mind the Leaf's logo you reference. Especially since it has history behind it. I do think the new one is a stronger overall logomark. I'm probably a bit different in my views since I'm not a hockey fan. So, I am seeing these logos purely as a graphic designer and not someone with extensive knowledge of the league.
There is nothing wrong with it design wise either, it is meant to depict 2 different things in the same image and does so beautifully. And that you don't know much about hockey show that you are simply ignorant to what makes a good hockey logo.

Highlights to me are:

- LA

- Calgary

- St. Louis

- Toronto

- Montreal

- Boston

- Detroit

- Tampa Bay

- Philadelpia

- New Jersey

All solid designs.

There is nothing wrong with it design wise either, it is meant to depict 2 different things in the same image and does so beautifully. And that you don't know much about hockey show that you are simply ignorant to what makes a good hockey logo.

I'm sorry but good design is good design. Sure certain industries can lean one way or the other but there are certain principles to a quality design. I'm just not seeing those implemented here. You can like it all you want, that's great. But I would not call it good design. A good concept, ok, good design, no.

wild-logo7.gif

No one would believe it's an MLB logo because it's quality, ingenuity and overall attractiveness is so far and above anything that league has produced it's ridiculous...

Also it doesn't have a baseball bat.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's almost as if different sports have different qualifications for what makes a good logo ;)

You mean you can't have a hockey stick in a basketball logo? MY ENTIRE LIFE UP TILL NOW HAS BEEN A LIE!

I wouldn't have had a problem with naming the current Minnesota team the North Stars, but leaving the records in Dallas, if the Stars had completely rebranded when they moved. They didn't though. They stayed the Stars and even kept slightly modified versions of the last North Stars uniform set.

The team, and fans, embraced their past. It seems wrong to take it all away now. Especially when Dallas has arguably embraced the Stars, and their North Stars heritage, moreso then the Twin Cities ever did.

Minnesota cares about the Wild more then they ever did the Stars. So maybe we should accept things as they are.

this is the best post in this entire thread. thank you, sir.

I'm sorry but good design is good design. Sure certain industries can lean one way or the other but there are certain principles to a quality design. I'm just not seeing those implemented here. You can like it all you want, that's great. But I would not call it good design. A good concept, ok, good design, no.

The problem people are having here is that you're assuming "good design" is something concrete. It's not. It's subjective, not objective. There are limits, certainly, but generally speaking? What works for someone may not work for another person. There's no way to really explain why. It just comes down to people having different tastes.

Throwing around "design philosophy" terminology doesn't change that. It just makes you look like you think your personal opinion is "worth" more then those of others.

There are two types of professional graphic designers who frequent the site. The first kind are the guys who explain themselves. They bring their knowledge and experience to a discussion to expand and explain their opinions and reasoning. ou may not agree with them, but you understand where they're coming from. You learn something from them.

Then you have the guys who talk down to everyone else. The guys who say "this logo is terrible because it's not a good design, and it's not a good design because I said so. I'm a professional, therefore my opinion is fact." That type of person just comes off as smug.

this is the best post in this entire thread. thank you, sir.

Thank you :)

i think the only thing holding the wild's logo back is the team name. if the unidentified animal were the official team name, then it would be a perfect blend of "minnesota" and "bear" in a similar, more modern way, that the sabres logo is such a good representation of both buffalo and sabres.

the logo itself is not a problem... but the name minnesota wild is absolutely awful. i'm personally not a fan of their colors, either... but i don't want to be accused of disliking it because "omg christmas..." i just think green and red look pretty bad together.

there's a lot to hate about the minnesota wild's identity. the disjointed and mismatched elements between home/road/third... the lack of/minimalization of the primary logo on the home and third jerseys... the team name... the team colors... the confused mix of being a modern team with an edgey name and a modern logo, but wearing retro-themed uniforms...

the primary logo, however, is not the problem. in any way other than they don't use it enough.

Archived