CubsFan4Life

New name for the Minnesota Wild?

i think the only thing holding the wild's logo back is the team name. if the unidentified animal were the official team name, then it would be a perfect blend of "minnesota" and "bear" in a similar, more modern way, that the sabres logo is such a good representation of both buffalo and sabres.

the logo itself is not a problem... but the name minnesota wild is absolutely awful. i'm personally not a fan of their colors, either... but i don't want to be accused of disliking it because "omg christmas..." i just think green and red look pretty bad together.

there's a lot to hate about the minnesota wild's identity. the disjointed and mismatched elements between home/road/third... the lack of/minimalization of the primary logo on the home and third jerseys... the team name... the team colors... the confused mix of being a modern team with an edgey name and a modern logo, but wearing retro-themed uniforms...

the primary logo, however, is not the problem. in any way other than they don't use it enough.

As awful as the name is, I feel like the logo not only nailed it for "Wild" but I disagree that it would be a good logo if the team was called "the Bears". Then we'd all be asking "why is there a woodsy scene inside of the bear?" I think the logo is only useful for a more abstract name.

And as great as it is, I wish they'd have a more basic name/logo (but I've said that several times now)

Though, as the little message below my avatar states, I LOVE green and red.

Now they need a home green and road white that match (preferably close to the inaugural look) and a red alt (I suppose close to the current, though any marginalization of the logo is a negative).

The Wild are proof that red and green can look good together. Frankly so are the early New Jersey Devils.

I'm honestly surprised at the number of people who don't like shades of Red & Green together. It's such a nice combo when used well.

I'm honestly surprised at the number of people who don't like shades of Red & Green together. It's such a nice combo when used well.

Weegar-Mooseheads-2014.jpg

i just think green and red look pretty bad together.

...post/avatar combo?

in my defense, i think the mooterus looks even more terrible than the wild ever have.

i just thought "mario lemieuxterus" was funny.

The "Wild" alumni game this winter against the Blackhawks will also consist of old North Stars players. Cue the revisionist historians amongst us freaking out because those guys should only be playing alumni games for Dallas...

The "Wild" alumni game this winter against the Blackhawks will also consist of old North Stars players. Cue the revisionist historians amongst us freaking out because those guys should only be playing alumni games for Dallas...

Thank goodness. As it should be. Those players had nothing to do with Dallas. Nicknames are nothing... cities, regions, states, and their people are everything.

Thank goodness. As it should be. Those players had nothing to do with Dallas. Nicknames are nothing... cities, regions, states, and their people are everything.
I'll agree only in this instance, those players played in Minnesota so they should play in the alumni game, but if Dallas was ever in a Stadium series/winter classic you better believe that North Stars players should be in the alumni game as well because they did play for that franchise.

I'll agree only in this instance, those players played in Minnesota so they should play in the alumni game, but if Dallas was ever in a Stadium series/winter classic you better believe that North Stars players should be in the alumni game as well because they did play for that franchise.

Dallas at Minnesota, Stadium Series 2020.

Later that night, we'll schedule Phoenix at Winnipeg.

The next day, Colorado plays outdoors at Quebec City.

The week after, Calgary plays Winnipeg in Atlanta.

Actually those would not be the "revisionist historians". Those would be the "historians".

The "revisionist historians" are the ones that think the Wild are trying to get to their third Stanley Cup finals.

As as a "historian" that prefers history stay with the franchise, and a person that lives within walking distance of this outdoor game (though won't drop the huge bucks to go), it never for one second occured to me that this is a problem. I never once thought "but how does this sit with my views on franchises?" It is absolutely fine that the former North Stars are playing in this game in Minnesota. It is absolutely OK for them to play in front of the (aging) fan base that used to follow them. They can do it without pretending that the Wild are the same franchise as they played for. This alumni game does not take a single step toward re-writing history and making the Dallas Stars a 1993 expansion team and the Minnesota franchise a team that dates back to 1967 and took a seven-year break. The reason nobody has freaked out is that there is nothing to freak out about. We all can acknowledge things that happened in, and players that played in, cities without pretending that all relocated franchises were expansion teams.

It makes far more sense for Willi Plett, Giles Meloche, etc. to play in this game in Minnesota than it would in Dallas. But that does not mean the team they played for in the 1980s should just pass its history on to the 200 expansion team.

None of us is telling fans of relocated teams to forget.

Dallas at Minnesota, Stadium Series 2020.

Later that night, we'll schedule Phoenix at Winnipeg.

The next day, Colorado plays outdoors at Quebec City.

The week after, Calgary plays Winnipeg in Atlanta.

I want a Winter Classic with New Jersey at Colorado

The Devils wear Colorado Rockies throwbacks, the Avalanche wear Quebec Nordiques throwbacks

so who's the home team and who does the crowd cheer for?