New name for the Minnesota Wild?

CubsFan4Life

Not sure why people dislike the name. I happen to really like it, and I'm not even a Wild fan.

Can someone tell me why it's not a good nickname? (not trying to start an argument, just legitimately curious)

Well there are no facts here but for me...

1. I prefer if you can say "he's a Blue Jay" or "he's a Dolphin." So Jazz, Heat, Magic, and Wild don't work out so great.
  2. Wild is even a step worse than Jazz, Heat, and Magic. We know what they are going for with those names. Jazz, of course, makes more sense for their original New Orleans home but knowing that makes it "work" for Utah as much as Heat works for Miami. Magic, I suspect, is related to the Magic Kingdom and either way doing "magical" things on the court is what it's about too. Again, bad name, but at least I "get it". "Wild" not only is not named after something that a group of players cannot be (like they can be Lions or Flyers or Reds) but do people even understand what it means? I do now, but when I first heard it (in an email from my father when I was in school out of state) I did not even get it. Wild and crazy? Sure, most people get it after it's explained, but it should not have to be. "Heat" does not have to be.
  3. How are you supposed to visually depict "Wild?" Kinda reminds me of when Kirk Van Houton could not draw "dignity." OK, they did an astonishing job of that...atones for the name to a small degree.

So it's really the first two things. It's in the eye of the beholder, though. You are not wrong for liking it, but I think a lot of people don't.

Sorry but I disagree with your second point.

Wild clearly means wilderness, just look at the logo... It has as much meaning as Jazz and Magic do...

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why people dislike the name. I happen to really like it, and I'm not even a Wild fan.

Can someone tell me why it's not a good nickname? (not trying to start an argument, just legitimately curious)

For me the name simply brings up bad memories of a flash in the pan trend (no "s" ending nicknames) tied to the 90s. Add to it that their logo looks very 90s, dated, and the whole package is just minor league.

I think if they would have simply used a more restrained, timeless look, for me, the name wouldn't be so horrible.

Minnesota%20Wild%2010%20Devin%20Setoguch

For me the name simply brings up bad memories of a flash in the pan trend (no "s" ending nicknames) tied to the 90s. Add to it that their logo looks very 90s, dated, and the whole package is just minor league.

I think if they would have simply used a more restrained, timeless look, for me, the name wouldn't be so horrible.

Minnesota%20Wild%2010%20Devin%20Setoguch

How can anyone not be Wild about that sweater? Or the primary logo?!?

NYCdog.png

I am not a fan of singular nicknames. I am not a huge hockey fan but was excited when we were getting a new team, but when I heard the name it just killed the interest for me. It isn't imo a name of a major league sports team. I call the Wild the North Stars informally after doing it once by accident.

I think if the NHL can have the Blues and Blue Jackets they can have the Stars and North Stars. I am not talking about cutting and pasting 1967-93 history on to the wild or anything like that, but at least I would love to see a new name for the current Minnesota NHL team.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

I think that just about nails it. The Wild have a nice identity to work with but an arena league nickname. At this point it's too late and we all have to live it unless the fans really want something changed later down the road.

Midway.png

Their primary logo is the VERY THING that makes them look minor league. That's why the sweater is so nice.

The logo is the best part. It almost makes up for the minor league name. Almost. Still better then pretending they're the North Stars.

Their primary logo is the VERY THING that makes them look minor league. That's why the sweater is so nice.

The logo is the best part. It almost makes up for the minor league name. Almost. Still better then pretending they're the North Stars.

That's how I feel. (Except maybe the North Stars part, which I could deal with if they did not pretend on the history)

I may have alluded to this above, but it reminds me of the Simpsons. Playing Pictionary, Kirk Van Houton has to draw "dignity." He fails and challenges LuAnne to do better. She draws and everyone is awestruck as to how she nailed it (of course they don't show it). When the Wild name was introduced, I am sure people said "great, make a logo for that" and they somehow nailed it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I wouldn't have had a problem with naming the current Minnesota team the North Stars, but leaving the records in Dallas, if the Stars had completely rebranded when they moved. They didn't though. They stayed the Stars and even kept slightly modified versions of the last North Stars uniform set.
The team, and fans, embraced their past. It seems wrong to take it all away now. Especially when Dallas has arguably embraced the Stars, and their North Stars heritage, moreso then the Twin Cities ever did.
Minnesota cares about the Wild more then they ever did the Stars. So maybe we should accept things as they are.

Have to disagree with you on that one...

Yeah hawk36 is definitely in the minority there. If you look at the main site, only Chicago and Detroit have higher ratings on their primary logo than the Wild.

ALykGdZ.png

To me, the Minnesota Wild are similar Real Salt Lake. I consider both to be in the bottom 3 team names in their respective leagues, though not for the same reason. On the other hand, taking the team names as given, I think both teams have done a good job developing their brands and identities.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Have to disagree with you on that one...

Yeah hawk36 is definitely in the minority there. If you look at the main site, only Chicago and Detroit have higher ratings on their primary logo than the Wild.

Wait, we are talking about the same logo, right? This cartoon mashup is the 3rd highest rated logo in the NHL? Wow. I guess I just don't get NHL fans. Imagine that logo on a baseball cap. No one would believe it's a MLB team.

wild-logo7.gif

Archived