ESPN, Olbermann part ways once more.

CS85

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And one of the few remaining threads of journalistic integrity at ESPN is headed out the door. I'd respect the WWL more if it just came out and said "we aren't renewing KO's contract because he says bad stuff about the mighty NFL and we simply cannot allow that at ESPN." But business is business, I guess.

FOX Sports 1 is a great fit and the most logical next stop for Olbermann but as my BASS colleague pointed out, it's highly unlikely that KO is willing to work for Rupert Murdoch. Then again, stranger things have happened.

You mean willing to work for Rupert again? Didn't he work for Fox Sports after his first stint with ESPN?

I saw, I came, I left.

I never liked him as a sports reporter, or any reporter for that matter. He to me would just take the latest controversy and run with it, or create one of his own. I never took his opinion seriously on anything. Good bye and good riddance is fine by me.

I don't know much about this, so can you point out a controversy that he created on his own?

I love Olbermann, and I hope he gets a shot elsewhere. He deserves it. As others have mentioned, MLB Network is probably the most realistic destination for him.

Side note: I'm glad that I live in Canada, and so I don't have to deal with ESPN and their :censored:.

Well, anyone that lives anywhere, including the US, doesn't need to deal with ESPN and their censored icon. It's just a TV show - people could just not watch.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And one of the few remaining threads of journalistic integrity at ESPN is headed out the door. I'd respect the WWL more if it just came out and said "we aren't renewing KO's contract because he says bad stuff about the mighty NFL and we simply cannot allow that at ESPN." But business is business, I guess.

FOX Sports 1 is a great fit and the most logical next stop for Olbermann but as my BASS colleague pointed out, it's highly unlikely that KO is willing to work for Rupert Murdoch. Then again, stranger things have happened.

You mean willing to work for Rupert again? Didn't he work for Fox Sports after his first stint with ESPN?

You are correct, sir.

ESPN needed Olbermann. They're pretty much the NFL's propaganda arm without him.

Fox Sports 1 is probably the best fit if you put the politics aside. It's Olbermann though, so the politics won't be put aside.

MLB Network wouldn't be a bad fit, I'd just rather not have him confined to a single sport.

NBCSN could work, but I doubt the people calling the shots over there want him taking potshots at the American soccer fanbase given their investment in the EPL broadcasting rights.

Actual news? Well I'm torn on that. I do tend to agree with his politics more often then not, but it's no secret that him pushing things just a bit too far over at MSNBC was what landed him back in the world of sports journalism. I fear that Olbermann giving actual news another shot will just lead to a repeat of the events that got him banished in the first place.

That being said? If he can ride the line of good taste rather then leap over it? Bring it on.

I'm hoping for either the last option or FS1.

The Keith Olbermann show on CNN

for one hour each day,sit down with Keith Olbermann about sports.

This, actually, isn't a half bad idea. I don't know if CNN would commit to having a sports show every single day (They got Rachel Nichols and threw her show on Friday nights once a week. Never heard a thing about it, and actually have no idea if it's even on.) but it's an idea.

It would also get him into the Turner umbrella which would allow him to do baseball once a week and in the playoffs. He already did a Turner baseball stint once too.

And yes, KO did work for Fox Sports after ESPN, but that was also before MSNBC.

Between Bill Simmons and Olbermann, some interesting sports media free agents.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Here are three letters which will immediately get you all thinking, "Why yes, that'd be a perfect place for him..."

HBO.

Once a week on Saturday nights - smack dab between Bill Maher on Friday nights and John Oliver on Sunday nights. He could do sports, politics, or a mix of the two there with no restrictions.

nav-logo.png

I think Olbermann wants to go back to news anyway. I think he's one of those media types whose heart is in politics but their mastery is in sports coverage, yet they can't help but pine for the chance to cover politics. It's like Jordan in a Barons uniform.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Olbermann could stand to dial it to about 70 percent. Then he'd be perfect. I like him quite a bit and appreciate that he says things most in his position wont, but he tends to hammer his opinions down past the point of efficacy. Some subtlety would go a long way, I think.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

You are correct, sir.

A lot has changed since the first time KO worked for FOX. Like the fact that KO spent all that time on MSNBC bashing Murdoch and FOX News.

BB52Big.jpg

I think Olbermann wants to go back to news anyway. I think he's one of those media types whose heart is in politics but their mastery is in sports coverage, yet they can't help but pine for the chance to cover politics. It's like Jordan in a Barons uniform.

I've always felt that KO's heart was in sports and the political thing was just what he did because he didn't have a sports gig.

BB52Big.jpg

Olbermann could stand to dial it to about 70 percent. Then he'd be perfect. I like him quite a bit and appreciate that he says things most in his position wont, but he tends to hammer his opinions down past the point of efficacy. Some subtlety would go a long way, I think.

Exactly how a feel. He takes the smallest things that don't really matter and dials them up to 10.

Archived