Team names without any meaning to it

RoughRiders99

Obviously, the Bills are a play on "Buffalo Bill," but I never liked how the name "Bills" doesn't fully stand alone as something that makes sense.

I've always wanted Buffalo to produce a team, in any sport really, where the team name was Buffalo.

Just: Buffalo.

Not the Buffalo Buffalo, not the redundant Buffalo Bison, just Buffalo. Is it the city name? Yes. Is it the team name? Yes. Which is it? Exactly. Every team logo from that city uses a Buffalo in its imagery (or so it seems), why not embrace it and get some weirdness/uniqueness points and publicity?

This would also work for Phoenix. Any other cities that could do that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_High_School_%28Ann_Arbor,_Michigan%29

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But my question is... can a name that has no meaning behind it work? I know there are some successful examples today, such as the Los Angeles Lakers, but is it really the "right" method to name a team?

The Los Angeles Lakers don't have meaning? Hmm I guess you are unaware that the LA Lakers relocated from Minneapolis in 1960, and if you are still unaware they were called the Minneapolis Lakers because Minnesota has over 15,000 lakes, most in the U.S. So no meaning? You need to rethink the base of this post

Obviously, the Bills are a play on "Buffalo Bill," but I never liked how the name "Bills" doesn't fully stand alone as something that makes sense.

I've always wanted Buffalo to produce a team, in any sport really, where the team name was Buffalo.

Just: Buffalo.

Not the Buffalo Buffalo, not the redundant Buffalo Bison, just Buffalo. Is it the city name? Yes. Is it the team name? Yes. Which is it? Exactly. Every team logo from that city uses a Buffalo in its imagery (or so it seems), why not embrace it and get some weirdness/uniqueness points and publicity?

This would also work for Phoenix. Any other cities that could do that?

St Paul?

But my question is... can a name that has no meaning behind it work? I know there are some successful examples today, such as the Los Angeles Lakers, but is it really the "right" method to name a team?

The Los Angeles Lakers don't have meaning? Hmm I guess you are unaware that the LA Lakers relocated from Minneapolis in 1960, and if you are still unaware they were called the Minneapolis Lakers because Minnesota has over 15,000 lakes, most in the U.S. So no meaning? You need to rethink the base of this post

I think he means would it have been better to rename a team after relocation? I think it is, it helps build a new identity in a new city

Cincinnati Bengals

There ain't no Bengal tigers in Ohio

Named after an older team in town, and also the Massillon High School Tigers, where team founder Paul Brown played and coached.

Well i guess we're both right:

"The city's world-renowned zoo was also home to a rare white Bengal Tiger. However, possibly as an insult to Art Modell, or possibly as an homage to his own start as a head coach to the Massillon Tigers, Brown chose the exact shade of orange used by his former team."

I think he means would it have been better to rename a team after relocation? I think it is, it helps build a new identity in a new city

That is exactly what I meant by that. I'm aware of the Minneapolis Lakers existence (my family is from there). It's just seems so ridiculous to have a name like that in Los Angeles. Same for the Utah Jazz, and a few other "relocated" teams.

And I think the reason why they named them the LA Galaxy because galaxies are full of stars, and Los Angeles are full of.... stars!

What's funny about the Buffalo Bills is the way you associate the entire name with the buffalo logo, and somehow it makes perfect sense.

But when you stop and realize you're just calling them the "Bills" all of a sudden you're like, "Wait a minute what the f:::::: does that mean?"

Atlanta Falcons?

There are Falcons in Georgia

Atlanta Falcons?

There are Falcons in Georgia

and hawks, which will swoop into your yard and take your dog if it's too small. (did not happen to me, but just thought you all should know)

Archived