Hand-Drawn Soccer Drawings II: California Soccer League

TheGiantsFan

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to another hand-drawn soccer series by me! This time around, I will be creating the California Soccer League (CSL) for my beloved home state. First of all, I was already considering this idea way before it was posted in the "Concept Thread Think Thank", but I would like to thank that thread for increasing the amount of state leagues being created on these forums.

Anyways, to my league. The 49 teams in the CSL will be divided into 7 geographic divisions, each consisting of 7 teams. Why 49? 49 is a very significant number in California history, as the Gold Rush of 1849 brought many to the Golden State. And it just so happens that 49 is an easily divisible number.

This league was founded in 1970 with just 7 teams: the first of the two San Francisco teams, Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento, Fresno, Pasadena, and the first of the two San Diego teams. After 1975, this league expanded to many more cities throughout California and even a few beyond its borders. (If Minor League Baseball's Double-A Springfield Cardinals in Missouri can play in the Texas League, then so can these seven teams!). Also, keep in mind that today's NASL and MLS teams don't exist, in an alternate American soccer scene dominated by state soccer leagues.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

19029148004_57dc7e0b9f_c.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to the first two teams! :D

Bay Area Division
SC Golden Gate
San Francisco, California
Founded: 1970
Championships: 5

19463689898_a354ccac59_c.jpg

The first San Francisco team in the league, the identity very much plays on its name. In this world, Northern California artist Michael Schwab, designer of the logo for the 2007 MLB All-Star Game in San Francisco, was commissioned to redesign SCGG's logo (Other examples of Schwab's amazing, minimalistic art is here). The crest, along with showing an image of the Golden Gate Bridge, pays an homage to the San Francisco fog at the "bottom" of the bridge.

The home kit utilizes hoops and pinstripes inspired by the Golden Gate Bridge's vertical cables. The clash kit is inspired by the San Francisco fog, and also has an outline of the bridge in the middle. The kits are supplied by Nike and the sponsor is Levi's.

Central Division
AC Monterey
Monterey, California
Founded: 1982
Championships: 1

19465108609_5b590780f7_c.jpg

AC Monterey is the the closest team to my hometown besides Salinas' own team in this league. The crest for Monterey is inspired by the Monterey Canning Company building on Cannery Row, as well as the pretty cool-looking flag of Monterey. I was considering adding sea otters to this, but that ended up looking pretty awkward alongside the "flag".

The home kit is inspired by the wood panelings of the Monterey Canning Company building, whereas the clash kit is inspired by the city's flag. The kits are supplied by Adidas and the sponsor is the non-for-profit Monterey Bay Aquarium; the team has a unique deal with the Aquarium, with a portion of the team's profits going towards the funding of the Aquarium.

A little quirk I added with this real-world series is that the player name will be the name of a notable person from that city. For example, Golden Gate's is photographer Ansel Adams while Monterey's is former CIA Director and Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta. The other ones y'all would have to figure out for yourselves. :P

Also, all sponsorships will be local to the team, as Levi's is based in San Francisco while the Monterey Bay Aquarium is in Monterey. It'll be kinda hard for the smaller-town teams, though... :/

I will still be open to suggestions for what I would do for future teams, but please keep all suggestions (design and/or sponsorship) realistic and local for the specific area.

Enjoy! :)

~ Daryl

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

NGL I prefer Los Altos concepts for that extra level of creativity, but I tell you one thing- You could create any concept and as long as it was hand drawn, I'd love it. And you do not disappoint on your first two entries. Both kits of SCGG are simple but amazing, something you are known to do with your kits :). I also think the name SC Golden Gate itself is great. No complaints for Monterey either.

I actual got both Easter eggs! Proud of myself.

Can't wait for more!!!

(btw FURST!!!!1!!)

Fear the future, envy the past

HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As always, great work. I am digging the GGSC clash kit but I'm just not feeling the home shorts. Monterrey Bay is perfect other than the legibility of the sponsor and NOB on the home. I would love to see Spark on another jersey. I could base it in a smaller city so you don't have to work as hard. Also, is that bottom right corner team in Mexico? I also could think of some names if I have the cities.

Great work. Some of the elements in the kits are a little strange, but this is good work.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

NGL I prefer Los Altos concepts for that extra level of creativity, but I tell you one thing- You could create any concept and as long as it was hand drawn, I'd love it. And you do not disappoint on your first two entries. Both kits of SCGG are simple but amazing, something you are known to do with your kits :). I also think the name SC Golden Gate itself is great. No complaints for Monterey either.

I actual got both Easter eggs! Proud of myself.

Can't wait for more!!!

The thing I liked about Los Altos is that I can practically create anything I want; real-world concepts I feel somewhat more restrained. But I still try. :)

Glad you liked Golden Gate (both its kits and its name) and Monterey!

And you'll have fun with the Easter eggs for the future teams! :)

Yes!!!! I didn't see the time but I saw the template and had a little freak attack. Golden Gate is really good, looking forward to another series from you!

I'm assuming you were talking about the index post...? I do that just to make sure that the index is very easy to find.

Glad you liked Golden Gate and I hope you stay tuned for the rest!

Awesome! Love what you did for Monterrey and Golden Gate! for Coronado I know the Navy SEALs train there so maybe you could do something with that?

Thank you, sir!

My only problem with your Navy SEALs suggestion for Coronado is that I also have a team in Oceanside, next to the gigantic Camp Pendleton. So that would be somewhat problematic...

HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As always, great work. I am digging the GGSC clash kit but I'm just not feeling the home shorts. Monterrey Bay is perfect other than the legibility of the sponsor and NOB on the home. I would love to see Spark on another jersey. I could base it in a smaller city so you don't have to work as hard. Also, is that bottom right corner team in Mexico? I also could think of some names if I have the cities.

I certainly am, my friend!

For Golden Gate, the stripes on the home shorts were actually a last-minute decision, as I thought it might've looked pretty cool, especially with the cable motifs. In real life, that would probably be white, but for the drawing's sake, the sponsor logo is way too small to make a nice-looking black outline over the white sponsor and NOB.

As much as I acknowledge your suggestion for Spark, even for a small-town team, but I'm sticking to purely real-world companies in this series. Let's just say that nobody's fictional realms exist here...

The bottom right corner team is actually Yuma, Arizona. And I'll send you a list of the cities via PM, hoping that you'll have some good name suggestions for them. :)

Great work. Some of the elements in the kits are a little strange, but this is good work.

Thank you!

Some real-world influences of the areas might indeed seem awkward and strange on kits, but I try to make them look decent to look at.

If you keep doing sports concepts, would you ever be open to hockey? I believe you'd be good at that!

that'd be interesting but I think he only does certain sports

I don't really plan on doing hockey at all, honestly. It's not that it's boring or anything, but I just wouldn't know what to do.

But thanks for asking! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Central Division

Surf City SC

Santa Cruz, California

Founded: 2004

Championships: 0

19736292405_13995ea02c_c.jpg

I just got back from a 3-day yearbook seminar at UC Santa Cruz, so I figured that it's only appropriate that my next team would be the Santa Cruz team. First of all, Santa Cruz, and not Huntington Beach in SoCal, will always be Surf City USA. In the soccer team's case, "SC" has triple meaning: Santa Cruz, Surf City, and Soccer Club. I decided to combine them into one wordmark (the "Santa Cruz" and "Surf City" are interchangeable). The orange represents the "warm California sun" (quoting from the commercials for the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk), the blue represents the ocean, and the black represents the "hip" of this college town on the beach; the white breaks up the colors and the black. There is a wave pattern that circles the "SC" on the crest.

The home kit very simply incorporates all of the team's colors into a predominantly-black jersey with white shorts. The clash kit is the "Surf City" kit, with black waves on a light blue jersey, so to represent the ocean. The kits are by Nike and the sponsor is the surfing merchandise company O'Neill, based in Santa Cruz.

~ Daryl

The triple-entendre is a thing of beauty! I'm trying my best not to say it, but these kits are radical! You really pulled off the black home kit with this team, and the away kit... Well it's just great. No complaints.

If you're referencing the former Pittsburgh Pirate and Santa Cruz native, it's McGehee :P

Make sure to pm me a list of cities w/o names as well because I'm eager to share my ideas!

The triple-entendre is a thing of beauty! I'm trying my best not to say it, but these kits are radical! You really pulled off the black home kit with this team, and the away kit... Well it's just great. No complaints.

If you're referencing the former Pittsburgh Pirate and Santa Cruz native, it's McGehee :P

Make sure to pm me a list of cities w/o names as well because I'm eager to share my ideas!

It was actually quite a coincidence that the initials could mean three different things for Santa Cruz. And these uniforms are probably as radical as people at UCSC... :P

And yes, it is indeed former Giants' double play king, Casey McGehee (I spelt it wrong on the jersey, but it's too minor to warrant a change), for Santa Cruz!

I'll actually post the city list here instead of PMing it to you.

Wow. I love what you did with the crest, very unique and amazing! I also love the uniforms!

Thank you, sir! Glad you liked Santa Cruz~

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mojave Division

Barstow 66

Barstow, California

Founded: 1985

Championships: 0

19571482739_c2728647aa_c.jpg

ECUFan25's original suggestion (via PM) for Barstow was the Barstow 40, but I tweaked it to Barstow 66, as Route 66 is probably more famous than the Interstate 40 (both of which go to Barstow) that replaced it, as well as the busy Interstate 15 going through town. The crest is fairly self-explanatory, with the US highway shield with hints of gray stripes representing the railroads which define the city.

The home kit is a simple white jersey with brown trim, with the gray stripes on the sleeve inspired by the new Everton clash kits. The clash kit is an abstract rendition of the speed that goes through the city, on both highway lanes and railroads. The kits are supplied by Puma and the sponsor is Del Taco, whose first branch was in nearby Yermo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided that I'll post the city list here instead of through individual PMs so everyone can pitch in on suggestions. Please note that the cities with team names next to them are pretty much set in stone.

Bay Area Division
  • FAIRFIELD - Solano County SC
  • OAKLAND - Oaktown SC
  • PALO ALTO
  • SAN FRANCISCO - SC Golden Gate
  • SAN FRANCISCO - Sporting San Francisco
  • SAN JOSE - Atletico San Jose
  • SANTA ROSA

Central Division

• BAKERSFIELD
  • FRESNO
  • MODESTO
  • MONTEREY - AC Monterey
  • SALINAS
  • SANTA CRUZ - Surf City SC
  • VISALIA

Freeway Division

• ANAHEIM - Orange County United
  • LONG BEACH
  • LOS ANGELES - Olympic Los Angeles
  • OCEANSIDE
  • PASADENA
  • SAN DIEGO - Coronado SC
  • SAN DIEGO - Real San Diego

Gold Country Division

• CARSON CITY, NV - Battle Born SC
  • ELK GROVE
  • LIVERMORE
  • PLACERVILLE
  • RENO, NV - Reno-Tahoe United
  • SACRAMENTO - Capital City SC
  • STOCKTON

Mojave Division

• BARSTOW - Barstow 66
  • EL CENTRO
  • KINGMAN, AZ
  • LAS VEGAS, NV
  • PALM SPRINGS
  • SAN BERNARDINO - Inland Empire Kickers
  • YUMA, AZ

Redwood Division

• CHICO
  • CRESCENT CITY - Del Norte Crescents
  • EUREKA
  • MEDFORD, OR
  • REDDING
  • WEED - SC Shasta
  • YUBA CITY

South Coast Division

• LANCASTER
  • LOS ANGELES - Hollywood SC
  • PASO ROBLES
  • SAN LUIS OBISPO
  • SANTA BARBARA
  • SANTA MARIA
  • VENTURA

I can't wait to see your suggestions!

~ Daryl

Palo Alto Cardinals :P

Salinas SaltyDogs (Salinas is Salinity in spanish, correct)

Eureka Gold/Miners/49ers

Medford Loggers

Pasadena Abominal Snowmen :P

Maritime Stockton/Stockton Armada/Stockton Nautical because it's a port town

I really like the crest and away kits. And Del Taco :)

Pelkey is the founder of BASE Jumping, correct?

PALO ALTO: Palo Alto Arbors

SANTA ROSA: Atletico Santa Rosa or Real Santa Rosa

SAN LUIS OBISPO: San Luis Obispo Missions

EUREKA: Eureka Screamers FC :upside:

PASADENA: Roses AFC

BAKERSFIELD: Racing Bakersfield

Just my suggestions for a few names.

I like Rose AFC but my Eureka and Palo Alto teams are better :P XD

In my professional Wiffle ball thread, I named the Los angeles team the "Los Angeles Oylympians". Glad we think alike! That Barstow home or white is gorgeous. If it were real I'd have one. No teams incorporate brown anymore

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Palo Alto Cardinals :P

Salinas SaltyDogs (Salinas is Salinity in spanish, correct)

Eureka Gold/Miners/49ers

Medford Loggers

Pasadena Abominal Snowmen :P

Maritime Stockton/Stockton Armada/Stockton Nautical because it's a port town

I really like the crest and away kits. And Del Taco :)

Pelkey is the founder of BASE Jumping, correct?

I like a few of your suggestions here, actually! Just not for the right cities, in my opinion. Your suggestions for Eureka are actually more appropriate for Placerville, as that town's deep in Gold Country. I think the nautical themes, while Stockton is indeed a port city, would be more appropriate for Long Beach (Oakland I already have a different idea for). I could incorporate cardinal red for Palo Alto, but ain't gonna be its name. I could do something related to logging for Medford, with a more soccer-style name for it. Salinas I already have a thing for and Pasadena, well, snow is an abstract concept to most of California! :P

Glad you liked Barstow and Pelkey is indeed the founder of BASE jumping!

PALO ALTO: Palo Alto Arbors

SANTA ROSA: Atletico Santa Rosa or Real Santa Rosa

SAN LUIS OBISPO: San Luis Obispo Missions

EUREKA: Eureka Screamers FC :upside:

PASADENA: Roses AFC

BAKERSFIELD: Racing Bakersfield

Just my suggestions for a few names.

Thank you for your suggestions! I might go a generic name for Palo Alto but in turn incorporate both Arbors and cardinal red into its identity. The problem with Santa Rosa is that San Jose, not too far away, will use Atletico; not really feeling Real for them, honestly. For the Missions, I might do a mission motif for Santa Barbara rather than SLO, as Santa Barbara's mission looks prettier architecturally. Eureka is quite a stretch. :P I do like your Pasadena suggestion and I might incorporate racing into Bakersfield's team, but I won't make it its name.

In my professional Wiffle ball thread, I named the Los angeles team the "Los Angeles Oylympians". Glad we think alike! That Barstow home or white is gorgeous. If it were real I'd have one. No teams incorporate brown anymore

Certainly so!

Glad you liked Barstow! :) Brown is indeed a very underused color scheme in sports...

Bakersfield could be Oil Country SC. (Appropriate the Oilers farm team is there now).

As I mentioned above, I might probably incorporate oil into Bakersfield's team, but I won't make its name be that, instead maybe something like Bakersfield SC so fit in both oil and racing.

Thank you for your suggestion! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freeway Division

Orange County United

Anaheim, California

Founded: 1990

Championships: 3

19813765116_ce34b215e3_c.jpg

Within the original 20 years or so of the CSL, there were two Orange County teams: Surfing Huntington and Anaheim SC. In the late 80s, however, both teams struggled both financially and on the field, so in 1990, they merged to form Orange County United. The new OC team inherited Anaheim's two championships, and the new team won its own championships not too long after the merger. The crest is very simple, with a soccer ball surrounded by "Orange County United". The colors are orange (duh!) and sand, to represent the county's beaches.

The home kit is a circle design with 34 white "oranges" surrounding the sponsor; the "oranges" represent the 34 (as per Wikipedia) incorporated communities within Orange County. The clash kit represents the freeway culture of not just Orange County, but of Southern California; the lines are an abstracted map of the Orange County freeways (the Pacific Coast Highway (CA-1) is excluded because it is not a freeway). The kits are supplied by Adidas and the sponsor is In-N-Out Burger (while their first location was in Baldwin Park in LA County, they are headquarted in Irvine).

~ Daryl

This is just a simple (by my standards of you) but great concept! I think the road map really makes the away kit look good but I'm not sure about the white dots/oranges on the home.

And who doesn't love In-n-Out?!

This is too easy. Richard Nixon was born in Orange County of course!

Archived