Hand-Drawn Soccer Drawings II: California Soccer League

TheGiantsFan

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Clash jersey a bit more than the Home, but the Home jersey is nice as well. By any chance, is Julia Mancuso the namesake for the NOB?

I actually do agree with you there, with the clash being a bit better than the home, in my opinion. Glad you liked them, though! :)

(And yes, it is Julia Mancuso, a Reno native)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Central Division

Racing Bakersfield

Bakersfield, California

Founded: 1986

Championships: 0

20884684990_10ae1cf412_c.jpg

I decided to give Bakersfield the "Racing" name (suggested by SSmith48) because Kern County (which Bakersfield is the county seat of) has quite a lot of auto racing venues. I decided to downplay the county's oil heritage to the team's sponsorship. The crest is basically a racing checker flag on an Italian-style oval crest. The colors of yellow and red I decided to add to the black-and-white because I think of those colors when I think of auto racing for some reason.

The home kit incorporates a checkered flag pattern on the front and back of the jersey, with red and yellow trim and shorts. The clash kit is a predominantly-red jersey, with a vertical sash containing a two-tone yellow checkered pattern. The kits are supplied by Adidas and the sponsor is Aera Energy, an oil and natural gas company based in Bakersfield.

~ Daryl

These are good drawings.

And I miss In-N'-Out up here in Oregon. Otherwise I love it up here.

Thank you! :)

And I heard that they're making an In-N-Out up in Medford, so y'all got that going for you guys...

Nicely done! I always love checkers and the Italian crest was a nice touch. Kevin Harvick?

Checkers are always pretty fun to work with, as long as we're not copying Croatian sports teams. Haha...

Italian oval crests are always pretty interesting as well.

And yes, it is Kevin Harvick, a Bakersfield native. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Coast Division

Riviera SC

Santa Barbara, California

Founded: 1981

21005244350_ace8e93319_c.jpg

The Santa Barbara area is known as the "American Riviera", so I decided to name their soccer team after that nickname. The name of the city is displayed at the top of the crest. The rest of the crest derives from the really cool flag of Santa Barbara that I never knew existed. The three-window castle on the crest (and on the city flag) is a symbol for Saint Barbara. The red, white, and yellow come from the city flag, while the mauve and sand comes from the colors of Mission Santa Barbara (more on that in a bit).

The home kit is a predominantly-yellow jersey with red horizontal stripes. The clash kit is an homage to Mission Santa Barbara, with the mauve as a nod to the Mission's roofs and the sand, along with being a reference to the area's beaches, is an exterior color for the Mission. The kits are supplied by Puma and the sponsor is Citrix Online, a software company based in Santa Barbara.

~ Daryl

• 2 weeks later...

Still nobody? Okay... :/

-------------------------------------------------------

South Coast Division
Ventura-Oxnard Union
Oxnard, California
Founded: 1986

21503499336_4600fd8283_c.jpg

I wanted to do something beach-related for Ventura-Oxnard (the two cities are in the same micropolitan area), and levijeromeSF's Miami Beach SC concept brought forth the seashell-as-a-crest idea. Within the crest is a sublimated "OV" monogram, standing for the two cities represented by the team. The colors are colors that you would see in an ocean sunset.

The home kit is the "Ocean Sunset" kit, with a solid navy blue third of the jersey representing the Pacific Ocean, and an orange gradient at the upper parts representing the sunset. The clash kit takes the colors of the home kit and makes it solid-colored, with a "V" shape created at the front and horizontal lines at the back. The kits are supplied by Under Armour, and the sponsor is Patagonia, an outdoor clothing company based in Ventura.

Up next, Hollywood!
~ Daryl

Top class work on these last few Daryl. Really liking the colors of Santa Barbara and Ventura. The home kit for Santa Barbara is my favorite of the last two.

Thank you! :)

Glad you liked the Santa Barbara home! These last two teams certainly had pretty fun color schemes to work with, and so was this next one...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

South Coast Division

Hollywood SC

Los Angeles, California

Founded: 1980

Championships: 2

21368236958_76bd0efcb7_c.jpg

There were two things I wanted in the Hollywood team: Art Deco, and flashiness in design. This identity certainly did the trick. :) It consists of an "H" over an Art Deco crest. The colors are black, pink, and gold. The black and pink represent the bright lights of Hollywood, and the gold represents the movie industry (think Oscar awards and stuff).

The home kit is a black-and-gray, vertically-hooped kit based on the striping seen on the crest. The clash kit is a highlighter pink (I literally colored it with a pink highlighter, but the scanner sadly could not achieve the same effect as the real thing) kit with black trim. The kits are supplied by Adidas and the sponsor is Paramount Studios, who still has their studios in the district of Hollywood (a part of the larger City of Los Angeles) itself.

~ Daryl

Freeway Division
Olympic Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
Founded: 1985
Championships: 3

21588484261_d953baabd0_c.jpg

As the name suggests, this team was inspired from the legacy of the 1932 and 1984 Summer Olympics, both held in Los Angeles. This team, however, was founded the year after the 1984 Olympics. The shield in the crest consists of five zig-zag lines; the zig-zag lines are a nod to the Los Angeles city flag, the colors of the lines are taken from the 1984 Summer Olympics logo, and the number of lines there are is a nod to the five rings of the Olympic logo. Furthermore, two olive branches (one representing 1932, the other 1984), an Olympic symbol, adorn the outside of the crest.

The home kit very simply consists of five, blue zig-zag lines on a white jersey with predominantly red trim. The clash kit is the "LA Civic Pride" kit, being decorated with the red-gold-green color scheme of the city's flag. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is Farmers Insurance.

~ Daryl

Guest darkpiranha

First time checking this thread out in a while, and I'm just stunned by how rock-solid almost all your concepts are. Great to see how sharply you've refined your hand-drawn style. Well done, sir.

Really liking the concept here, although alternating blue-red stripes on the home like on the crest might work better. As for the name, sprinter Don Sanford? I can't quite tell if that's an M or an N.

I tried doing the striping on the home jersey like it would be on the 1984 Summer Olympics logo, but it didn't work out too well because I spaced the blue lines too close to each other; it's all hard to edit at this point because it's colored in marker, so...

And yes, it is sprinter Don Sanford! Many athletes hail from Los Angeles, but I had to look specifically for a famous Olympian for Olympic Los Angeles, and he seems to be the most notable of the Olympians I looked up.

20 - Katy Perry?

22 - You used Oscar gold, but an actor without an Oscar? :lol:

Riviera is indeed Katy Perry!

As for my decision to use DiCaprio, I just used the first famous actor I saw on Wikipedia's list of notable Angelenos, so... :P

First time checking this thread out in a while, and I'm just stunned by how rock-solid almost all your concepts are. Great to see how sharply you've refined your hand-drawn style. Well done, sir.

Glad you're liking them, my friend! As always, thank you for the kind words in response to my concepts! :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bay Area Division

Silicon Valley SC

Redwood City, California

Founded: 1994

21729897531_f3038f52ce_c.jpg

Silicon Valley SC was founded in the 90s to cater to the growing tech industry in and around the South Bay region of the Bay Area. The colors are gray, black, and white, as the actual element of silicon is of a gray color. The monogram inside this relatively simple roundel crest actually has a lot of meaning, partly explained with this map:

127.gif

The triangular angling of the monogram is based on the physical geography of the South Bay region, with the San Francisco Bay narrowing, with the Peninsula coming closer to the East Bay. The three horizontal parts of the "S" actually also represent three crossing between the Peninsula and the East Bay: the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge (CA-92), the Dumbarton Bridge (CA-84), and CA-237.

The home kit is a simple hooped kit using the colors on the crest. The clash kit is a more tech-inspired hexagonal design with colors commonly seen in computer microchips. The kits are supplied by New Balance and the sponsor is Google.

~ Daryl

• 2 weeks later...

Steve Jobs... an interesting choice for a team sponsored by Google. Either way, a nice concept.

To be fair, my sponsor decision often comes separate from my player name decision; I never actually noticed that until you said it! :P

Regardless, I'm glad you liked Silicon Valley! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm back! :D Senior year has been pretty hectic with schoolwork and yearbook stuff, so I haven't gotten much time to work on this series, resulting in not-so-frequent updates. Anywho...

Gold Country Division

Placerville 1849

Placerville, California

Founded: 1999

21907065900_57621199f6_c.jpg

Despite what the name might suggest, this team was obviously not founded in 1849. However, this team was founded exactly 150 years after the peak of the California Gold Rush, so there's that. Placerville, located in the heart of Gold Country in the Sierra Nevadas, incorporates a lot of Gold Rush imagery. Firstly, the color scheme is black with three shades of gold. The shield shape is a miner's spade, similar to the shape of California state highway shields. Inside the crest are mountains, two pickaxes, and the bell tower in downtown Placerville. The slogan "Ex auro collibus" is Latin for "From the gold hills".

The home kit has a diagonal plaid pattern with three shades of gold. The clash kit is a black jersey with gold numbers and trim. The kits are supplied by Puma and the sponsor is Boeger Winery, located just outside of Placerville.

~ Daryl

Looks great! The colors go great together! Sad however about the less frequent updates, but I understand.

Glad you liked Placerville! :) It was indeed a fun color scheme to work with~

I'll still indeed make time for this series amidst my hectic schedule, though. :)

Just joined to say that you are a genius Daryl.

21-actor Brandon Soo Hoo

25-skier Spider Sabich

Thank you, thank you! And welcome to the boards! :)

You got Spider Sabich right but not Soo Hoo. It's actually William Soo Hoo, whom Wikipedia states is "considered the first Chinese-American leader [as a former Oxnard mayor] of a major California city and possibly the United States."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Redwood Division

State of Jefferson SC

Weed, California

Founded: 1987

22193328321_69e3255d40_c.jpg

First off, some context: Back in the 1940s, several counties in northern California (and southern Oregon) attempted to secede from their respective states (because of their political isolation from Sacramento and Salem) to form the State of Jefferson; this new state became forgotten because of the 1941 attacks on Pearl Harbor and the proceeding American involvement in World War II. History aside, this region of northern California still has a few lingering sentiments of the State of Jefferson, and that is embodied in their soccer team. The crest is basically a very simplified version of Jefferson's state seal (with it's "double X" representing formerly-mentioned political isolation) within a diamond-shaped crest. The colors of forest green and gold are taken from the Jefferson state flag.

The home kit is a vertically-hooped design that incorporates a gradient of the green as it goes towards the middle of the jersey. The clash kit is a simpler green kit that incorporates the "double X". The kits are supplied by Adidas and the sponsor is the Crystal Geyser bottled water company, based in Weed and has it source in nearby Mt. Shasta.

(This team was very nearly going to be called Shasta SC, or something like that, but the State of Jefferson was so much better to incorporate into a team)

~ Daryl

Dang it! Thought I had it. Anyway, great look, with the mini Wolfsburg x's on the clash, and I have no idea on that name.

I kinda wish you went to Renton WA, a team there could have a little "magic" involved.

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

Archived