Hand-Drawn Soccer Drawings II: California Soccer League

TheGiantsFan

Dang it! Thought I had it. Anyway, great look, with the mini Wolfsburg x's on the clash, and I have no idea on that name.

I kinda wish you went to Renton WA, a team there could have a little "magic" involved.

Glad you liked State of Jefferson! :) As for the name, it's Gilbert Gable, an Oregon city mayor that first proposed the idea of the State of Jefferson.

Washington state is very much outside of the CSL's jurisdiction; the only reason why I have teams in Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona is because of their very close proximity to the California border. Maybe someone could tackle Renton with some Washington state soccer league, though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mojave Division

SC Kingman

Kingman, Arizona

Founded: 1990

Championships: 0

22065387639_73b0012a32_c.jpg

Kingman is one of two Arizona teams in the CSL (the other being Yuma). Since I intend on doing some cactus motif for Yuma, Kingman receives the Arizona state flag treatment. SC Kingman's crest is basically just the Arizona flag inside of a pentagonal shield, and that's pretty much it. While the team does incorporate the flag colors, it puts a large emphasis on the "copper" and navy blue colors.

The home kit is a copper/navy blue jersey with a sublimated, two-tone flag motif at the top of the jersey. The clash kit is intended to combine the Arizona flag colors and the color pattern of the Grand Canyon, located not too far northeast of Kingman. The kits are supplied by Under Armour, and the sponsorship goes to Nucor, a North Carolina-based steel company who has a mill just outside of Kingman.

Up next, expect something Danish outta Solvang!

~ Daryl

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was supposed to be a joke, but the joke went over your head.

The gradients are amazing on the clash! I may be wrong, but is it Cody Custer?

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

It was supposed to be a joke, but the joke went over your head.

The gradients are amazing on the clash! I may be wrong, but is it Cody Custer?

Ah, I gotcha.

Gradients are always pretty interesting to pull off, and it is certainly Cody Custer as Kingman's "player"!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

South Coast Division

Solvang fB

Solvang, California

Founded: 1986

Championships: 1

22268786712_6cdb9a3fd6_c.jpg

I wanted more ethnic teams in my league (to add some diversity), and so I ended up moving the proposed Santa Maria team, which I thought would be a fairly boring team, to the more interesting Danish community in nearby Solvang. The Solvang forenede Boldkluber (Danish for "Solvang United Football Club") has its name and monogram inspired by Esbjerg fB of the Danish Superliga. Its colors are taken directly from the Flag of Denmark, with the white box in the crest stylized just like the Danish royal standard.

The home kit is a very simple red-and-white jersey inspired by the Danish flag. The clash kit is inspired by the Scandinavian-style architecture seen throughout central Solvang. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is The Landsby, a local boutique hotel.

Enjoy! (Though it'd be cool if this thread could garner a bit more feedback)

~ Daryl

The only question I have is, did you get the joke?

All I am saying about the concept is in 3 words: Det er forbløffende!

I couldn't tell u who that is.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

Nobody else...? :/

The only question I have is, did you get the joke?

All I am saying about the concept is in 3 words: Det er forbløffende!

I couldn't tell u who that is.

To be honest with you, I did not get the joke at all... :/

As far as Solvang goes, I'm glad you liked it! :) Firstly, I did put your Danish phrase through Google Translate and secondly, the namesake is Anton and Julietter Andersen, who started the Pea Soup Andersen's restaurant chain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

South Coast Division
Lancaster - Palmdale Squadron
Lancaster, California
Founded: 1983

21727901553_911324e649_c.jpg

First of all, I am aware of a High Desert team, nowhere near an ocean, being in the South Coast Division, but you just gotta sacrifice logic for division alignments sometimes. Now to the actual team. The team identity is based around the heavy military presence in the Antelope Valley, mostly in the form of Edwards Air Force Base. Originally, I had wanted to do a fighter jet motif a la Newcastle Jets, but decided that a simpler wing logo was better. The color scheme is simply black and white, as a nod to the stealth bombers developed at Edwards AFB. There is an "LP" monogram to represent the twin cities of the Antelope Valley: Lancaster and Palmdale; these two cities in northern Los Angeles County are exurbs of the LA metro area.

The home kit is a simple black-on-white jersey with three gray streaks to serve as Adidas branding represent fighter jets in formation. The clash kit is a black gradient jersey. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is Boeing, who is heavily involved in military aviation in the area.

~ Daryl

I'm surprised it translated back right!

I can easily explain, Wizards of the Coast, the people who own the rights to Magic The Gathering are based in Renton.

All I can say is more gradients! Amazing! The name could also work as a soccer team here in the Wichita area.

Chuck Yeager, test pilot of the x-1?

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

I'm surprised it translated back right!

I can easily explain, Wizards of the Coast, the people who own the rights to Magic The Gathering are based in Renton.

All I can say is more gradients! Amazing! The name could also work as a soccer team here in the Wichita area.

Chuck Yeager, test pilot of the x-1?

Ah, I get your joke now! It easily flew over my radar at first glance...

Glad you liked the Squadron! :) Aviation-themed teams are always pretty cool. And yes, it is indeed Chuck Yeager!

Haven't been on this thread for a while, and I must say that the last few teams have been great. If I was able to, I'd buy the Squadron's home jersey.

Glad you've liked 'em, my friend, especially the Squadron home kit! :)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Mojave Division

Mavericks Sporting

Adelanto, California

Founded: 1994

22260735219_69265e9f9d_c.jpg

The soccer team from the Victor Valley (just east of Lancaster/Palmdale, actually) is owned by the same folks who own the High Desert Mavericks Minor League baseball team. The soccer team is literally just the baseball Mavs' cap logo with the baseballs on the cap replaced with soccer balls. The red/black color scheme is also taken from the baseball team.

The home kit is a simple red jersey with black trim; the clash is pretty much the inverse of the home jersey. The kits are supplied by Puma and the sponsor is the supermarket chain Stater Bros..

~ Daryl

That is a pretty standard set, but hey, there are those teams. I still like them though.

I can't even read the name, so I don't know.

High Desert was actually a last-minute change to the league's teams, as I took out the team for Yuba City (a seemingly insignificant Central Valley town) and moved it to the medium-sized population centers in the Victor Valley. I just basically used the baseball team for this one.

As for the name, it's supposed to be Earl W. Bascom, a notable rodeo star.

I was confused at first because it looks almost like it says "Mavericks SporHug" at the top of the paper.

While the set is pretty standard, I will say that the M logo looks great.

Ehh, my handwriting tends to combine letters sometimes. Although it does also say the team name in type just above the picture...

The High Desert Mavericks did pretty well with the M logo, don't you think?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bay Area Division

Atlético San José

San Jose, California

Founded: 1970

Championships: 4

22456927600_48cb2697a8_c.jpg

San Jose is one of the founding teams of the CSL, having been a thing since 1970. With this, I wanted to make this team look successful (which they have been) and like it's been there forever. The crest is fairly simple, with the colors and stalks of wheat taken from the city's flag and seal with a scroll saying "ASJ" in the middle. While the official team name is still the original Spanish name since 1970, recent branding has preferred the "ASJ" abbreviation, so to better represent more of San Jose's very diverse population.

The home kit is a relatively simple white jersey, with a blue/white/gold slash running through the front. The clash kit is a gold jersey with navy blue pinstripes. The kits are supplied by Umbro and the sponsor is Adobe Systems.

~ Daryl

That is a pretty standard set, but hey, there are those teams. I still like them though.

I can't even read the name, so I don't know.

High Desert was actually a last-minute change to the league's teams, as I took out the team for Yuba City (a seemingly insignificant Central Valley town) and moved it to the medium-sized population centers in the Victor Valley. I just basically used the baseball team for this one.

As for the name, it's supposed to be Earl W. Bascom, a notable rodeo star.

I was confused at first because it looks almost like it says "Mavericks SporHug" at the top of the paper.

While the set is pretty standard, I will say that the M logo looks great.

Ehh, my handwriting tends to combine letters sometimes. Although it does also say the team name in type just above the picture...

The High Desert Mavericks did pretty well with the M logo, don't you think?

I think the Mavericks' M logo is fine.

San Jose looks great overall. I like the crest. Especially the stalks of wheat.

The colors stand out! I like them!

That name is Norman Mineta?

San Jose did have a pretty interesting take on the blue/yellow color scheme, indeed! And yes, it is Norman Y. Mineta.

I think the Mavericks' M logo is fine.

San Jose looks great overall. I like the crest. Especially the stalks of wheat.

Glad you liked San Jose! Though honestly, I couldn't find why the stalks of wheat are on the San Jose city seal in the first place... :/ (The area used to be dominantly agricultural, but I don't know if wheat was grown here)

----------------------------------------------------------

Redwood Division

Ursa Sonoma

Santa Rosa, California

Founded: 1983

22141276854_0f02f1559c_c.jpg

Sonoma (the city) is notable in California history because there held in 1846 the Bear Flag Revolt, which led to the short-lived California Republic. The rebels here were known as "Los Osos" ("the bears"), hence the "Ursa" (Latin for "bear") part of the team name. As for the other part of the name, it is interpreted as representing all of Sonoma County, as the team plays in more-populated Santa Rosa and not the City of Sonoma itself. Santa Rosa is represented on the crest through the architectural motifs of the city's Empire Building forming the top half of the roundel. As for the bottom half, there is a scroll with bears on either end, as well as grapes below it, as Sonoma County forms the western half of the California Wine Country (Napa County is the adjacent county to the east of Sonoma County). A "US" monogram is at the center of the crest. The colors are inspired by the first California state flag, as flown in the Bear Flag Revolt.

The home kit utilizes the curvature of the Empire Building on a red/tan jersey. The clash kit is a simpler brown jersey with tan trim. The kits are supplied by Nike and the sponsor is the Korbel winery.

Ursa Sonoma is one of my more favorite teams in this league, with much inspiration to the fictional California Athletic FC by raysox and partly to the real-life Sacramento Republic FC.

~ Daryl

PS: I have updated the map on the first page to reflect the slew of new teams added since the OP

Giving me a slow ball down the middle with the name there, as it is Charles Schulz.

A subtle color scheme, like Henderson for los altos. I like it.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

Giving me a slow ball down the middle with the name there, as it is Charles Schulz.

A subtle color scheme, like Henderson for los altos. I like it.

It certainly is!

As for the color scheme, I have a personal liking for color schemes with brown in it, which I think are really underrated.

Wow. Sonoma looks great.

Thanks you! Sonoma indeed has to be one of my more favorite teams in this series~

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Gold Country Division

Modesto Athletic

Modesto, California

Founded: 1988

22289661154_047347fde3_c.jpg

I had wanted at least one team in this league to have a brown/orange color scheme, and I figured that Modesto would be the perfect fit. The crest is stylized like a tulip a steer's head, an homage to the cattle industry that's everywhere in this middle part of the Central Valley. The crest is slightly inspired by Club Atlas in Mexico's Liga MX.

The home kit is a fairly straightforward half brown/half orange jersey, stylized like the crest. The clash kit I originally wanted to do something more modest (because Modesto), but I thought that an homage to American Graffiti, which immortalized the city in pop culture, would be much cooler; the pattern calls to a roadway design to pay homage to the cruising depicted in the movie, set in Modesto (though actually filmed in Petaluma, in the Bay Area). The kits are supplied by Adidas and the sponsor is Save Mart Supermarkets.

~ Daryl

Archived