Hand-Drawn Soccer Drawings II: California Soccer League

TheGiantsFan

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love your work SFGiant.

A few touch ups, why not FC Hollywood, it sounds better than Hollywood SC and i would of liked to see Las Vegas branded as LVFC

Glad you're liking them! :)

As for the names, here's my responses: Although soccer is technically called "football", I tend to stray away from "football club" in this series (and even my AFS series) so it wouldn't be confused with American football. Also, "Hollywood SC" in that order fits better in their logo than would "FC Hollywood" or the like.

Once again, a home run. Great concept.

Is that George Lucas?

Wrong sport, buddy! :P

Glad you liked Modesto, whose player name is indeed George Lucas!

Modesto definitely giving off a "vintage west" vibe. Very nice.

The Modesto area is known to Californians as where there's a lotta ranches and stockyards, so a "vintage West" theme, and the brown/orange color scheme, blended in fairly well with the area's cattle industry. Glad you liked Modesto! :)

All of these are awesome! Every kit is distinguishable from another, but recognizeable to the team. Fantastic overall

Thank you! :)

Whenever I design kits for a team, I always have to look at the completed teams in my attempts to come up with a relatively fresh design to add a bit more variety in the league.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Freeway Division

Sporting Oceanside

Oceanside, California

Founded: 1990

Championships: 1

22541260827_f3caaef149_c.jpg

Because today's Veterans Day, I felt like doing a patriotic team today. And there's no city more appropriate for this than Oceanside in northern San Diego County, which has the Marines' Camp Pendleton just north of the city. For the crest I wanted to do something that combines elements of patriotism/military homage and the SoCal beach town that Oceanside is. After contemplating with ideas similar to President Obama's campaign logos, I decided to go with the very simple red/white/blue surfboard. The surfboard has an "SO" (the team's initials) inside of it.

The home kit is a fairly simple kit with a single red chevron paying homage to the rank insignia of the Marines. The two-tone, blue clash kit combines the idea of a waving flag with the waves of the ocean. The kits are supplied by Nike and the sponsor is Legoland California, which is located in nearby Carlsbad.

~ Daryl

I love it! I would go to legoland even if I couldn't remember after

Jason Mraz?

Legoland is indeed a pretty cool place! And yep, it's Jason Mraz.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mojave Division

Sol de Yuma

Yuma, Arizona

Founded: 1986

Championships: 2

22686723858_815ea9b82b_c.jpg

Yuma's team fulfilled two things that I wanted at least once in this series: a desert-themed team and a team that uses purple. Southern Arizona is notable for its abundance of Saguaro cacti, and so a Saguaro takes center stage in the desert landscape depicted on the crest. The combination of purple and the desert landscape is similar to the one in Arizona's license plates. A gradient sun is seen behind the cactus, appropriate because, according to Wikipedia, "Of any populated place in the contiguous United States, Yuma is the driest, the sunniest, and the least humid, has the lowest frequency of precipitation and has the highest number of days per year." As for the words on the crest, it says the team's name ("Sol de Yuma" is Spanish for "Yuma's Sun") and "Fútbol" underneath it.

The home jersey is a fairly simple purple jersey with white and yellow trim. The clash jersey, however, is more elaborate in that it takes the classic pinstripe pattern and incorporates a desert touch to it, transforming these pinstripes into Saguaros. The kits are supplied by Puma and the sponsor is the Mexican beer company Corona.

~ Daryl

Great design. Easily one of my favorite clash jerseys.

That is a great concept, clash stands out.

Cesar Chavez?

Yuma was indeed a fun one to make, and the design on the clash took some trial-and-error in the sketching stage. Glad y'all liked it! :)

(It is indeed Cesar Chavez~)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Freeway Division

Inland Empire

San Bernardino, California

Founded: 1981

Championships: 0

23190257785_c31c9ebbae_c.jpg

The Inland Empire is the region that comprises the eastern parts of the sprawling LA metro area. Originally, the name of this team was "Inland Empire Kickers", but then I decided that it sounded best without "Kickers". I wanted another blue/orange team in this league, and so it went to here. (The orange has much significance as the citrus industry thrived here before the area's postwar suburbanization. The crest is a simple circle logo with an "IE" monogram.

The home kit uses horizontal, light blue hoops to represent the area's importance in the railroads (there are large railyards in San Bernardino). The orange clash kit incorporates a delicate arrowhead design, as arrowheads have an importance in the area's early history. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is the Arrowhead Credit Union.

~ Daryl

That is a great way to use sky blue and orange! Take notes Missouri! I still hate your team!

The name is over my head.

Glad you liked IE! :) The name(s) are Richard and Maurice McDonald, who established in 1940 the very first McDonald's restaurant in San Bernardino.

What is this Missouri sports team in question, though...?

I've missed a lot. Yuma looks nice, I like Inland Empire as well.

Nice to see you back, and I'm glad you're liking everything! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Redwood Division

Redding City

Redding, California

Founded: 1987

22637528574_ce06784f92_c.jpg

For a city with "red" in its name, it's safe to say that the Redding soccer team will have red in it. In fact, I added white and black to the mix! My main influence for this team was AFC Bournemouth in the Premier League, and I was almost about to call this team "AFC Redding" (I decided to give the AFC prefix to Eureka's team instead). For the crest, I went with a simple red/black striped crest, with an "R" to fill in the space. The jagged edges at the top of the crest are intended to evoke the edges of the mountains north of the city, most notably Mt. Shasta. I accidentally made the crest look like a Viking ship from afar. Haha...

The home kit is the classic red/black hooped jersey, much like Bournemouth's home. The clash kit only has three red/black stripes going through the middle of a white jersey. The kits are supplied by Adidas and the sponsor is Black Bear Diner, a restaurant chain based in Redding.

~ Daryl

• 2 weeks later...

Will this help?

8122321400_32b50eb48b_b.jpg

That name is Megan Rapinoe, appropriate for this great concept.

Not too much; I'm not all that acquainted with minor league hockey...

And it is indeed Megan Rapinoe!

-------------------------------------------------------

South Coast Division

Roses AFC

Pasadena, California

Founded: 1970

Championships: 5

23159025059_bfcb237608_c.jpg

After spending all of Thanksgiving Break last week working on English homework (including the Austriocana Premier League that I did for a project), I have finally found time to unwind and go back to doing my soccer series under my own, flexible schedules~

The name for the Pasadena soccer team, one of the original 7 CSL teams and one of the most successful, is credited to SSmith48, as Pasadena is known for the Rose Parade and the proceeding Rose Bowl. The crest is a simple roundel logo with a rose in the middle; I tried really hard to not rip off the logo of the NWSL's Portland Thorns FC, which has a very similar concept. There are rose thorns in the outer part of the roundel, and the colors are obviously inspired by roses.

The home kit takes the simple pinstripe pattern and incorporates rose thorns into the pinstripe design; my drawing of it here doesn't really do this design justice, as I ended up making them look too muddled up and close together. The clash kit was a kit I had a pretty hard time with because of the color scheme I would use. I wanted to do a kit inspired by the numerous arch bridges crossing the Arroyo Seco, the most famous being the Colorado Street Bridge; I ultimately settled on a jade green/two-tone red color scheme for this jersey. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is the Chinese, Pasadena-based East West Bank.

~ Daryl

The team is the Missouri Mavericks of the echl, and being from Wichita, they are the Wichita thunder's biggest rivals, and I hate them!

The good old parade of roses, I watch it every year. That is a good look my friend.

The name is Edwin Hubble.

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

The team is the Missouri Mavericks of the echl, and being from Wichita, they are the Wichita thunder's biggest rivals, and I hate them!

The good old parade of roses, I watch it every year. That is a good look my friend.

The name is Edwin Hubble.

Ah, that all makes sense now~

The name is indeed Edwin Hubble, an astronomer who also taught at Pasadena's Caltech.

(I've actually attended the Rose Parade in person once, back in 2013)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Redwood Division

AFC Humboldt

Eureka, California

Founded: 1980

22973412824_64aff2d6b9_c.jpg

Originally, I was gonna go simply with a logging theme for this team, as the region's plentiful redwood forests provided (now with much regulation) for a booming lumber industry. But realizing that this part of Northern California was known for its hippie populations, so I decided that this would be a mix between logging and the counterculture. The crest basically is a roundel composed of brown lines, evoking the rings seen in a cross-section of a redwood tree, with a wave pattern (because the Pacific is just right there) in a tie-dye pattern. Instead of favoring any one city (the major cities in the area are Eureka and Arcata), the team through its name chooses to represent all of Humboldt County through its name choice.

The home jersey puts two shades of green into a spiral tie-dye pattern with navy blue trim. The clash kit is inspired by the tree ring motif (inspired by some recent Portland Timbers concept I saw here but forgot where it's at), as well as a more earthen color scheme. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is the Humboldt Creamery.

Ten more teams left!

~ Daryl

The trippiness is real here! It still holds up as an amazing design.

The name is Sara Bareilles.

I have a fictional country and soccer league that I will upload when i can get a template, because I have done my own templates and they aren't working for me.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

I have a fictional country and soccer league that I will upload when i can get a template, because I have done my own templates and they aren't working for me.

This place is surely appropriate to go groovy, y'know~ And you're right about the name as well!

Are your concepts hand-drawn, or digitized? I make my own templates, but if you're going digitized, I'd recommend raysox's template, linked here.

---------------------------------------------------------

Gold Country Division

Elk Grove SC

Elk Grove, California

Founded: 1994

23679699226_54d25f6b37_c.jpg

One of the fastest-growing cities in California, Elk Grove (just south of Sacramento) is influenced by the teal-palooza of the 1990s. The crest, which puts elk antlers over a badge with an "EG" monogram, is inspired by the crests for Minneapolis SC by raysox and Elk River FC by Mockba.

Very honestly, I really had no idea what to do for Elk Grove's kits, as Elk Grove in reality is just your average, boring suburb. The home kit is a simple gold/teal hooped design. The clash kit is more outrageous, with the center stripe of the jersey transforms into stylized elk antlers. The kits are supplied by New Balance, ans the sponsor is Sleep Train, a mattress company based not in Elk Grove, but is from within the Sacramento area.

~ Daryl

Nice to see some more progress on this my friend! Humboldt and Elk Grove look fantastic!!

Are you .PSD, and or .ai

a2BRS8U.png

The concepts are done by hand.

A very well done job in Elk Grove. The name I think it is Scott boras.

As for the concepts I have, I have a team that uses the same sponsorship as larfa, and there could be a cool little interaction between the two, as they could have exhibition matches in the offseason. It's up to you, if it isn't your thing, I am totally cool with it, but all of the sponsors that are yours that I use all credit will be given to you.

As for h11k, could u explain the difference between the two?

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

Archived