Hand-Drawn Soccer Drawings II: California Soccer League

TheGiantsFan

The concepts are done by hand.

A very well done job in Elk Grove. The name I think it is Scott boras.

As for the concepts I have, I have a team that uses the same sponsorship as larfa, and there could be a cool little interaction between the two, as they could have exhibition matches in the offseason. It's up to you, if it isn't your thing, I am totally cool with it, but all of the sponsors that are yours that I use all credit will be given to you.

As for h11k, could u explain the difference between the two?

Ah, isee you do yours by hand haha, so my service would not be of use!

a2BRS8U.png

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see some more progress on this my friend! Humboldt and Elk Grove look fantastic!!

Thank you; glad you're liking it! :)

The concepts are done by hand.

A very well done job in Elk Grove. The name I think it is Scott boras.

As for the concepts I have, I have a team that uses the same sponsorship as larfa, and there could be a cool little interaction between the two, as they could have exhibition matches in the offseason. It's up to you, if it isn't your thing, I am totally cool with it, but all of the sponsors that are yours that I use all credit will be given to you.

It is indeed Scott Boras!

Of course, feel free to use any of my fictional companies for sponsorships! :) As for templates, I'll send you a scan of my templates via PM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Redwood Division

Bidwell Park AC

Chico, California

Founded: 1998

Championships: 0

23524888830_00ea022694_c.jpg

This was one of the teams I was just plain stuck on. Chico is indeed notable for being a big party town, home to Chico State University. However, I wanted to downplay that and put a more positive image of the city, so I turned to Bidwell Park, one of the 25 biggest municipal parks in the United States. The roundel logo features trees at the top and blue stripes, suggesting the flow of the Big Chico Creek that runs through Chico, as a nod to the park's natural beauty. Color-wise, I ultimately decided to stray away from a red color scheme (Chico State has a cardinal red/white color scheme) because of the rival Redding's color scheme; instead, I turned to a more natural forest green/sky blue color scheme.

The home kit is a simple light blue, hooped kit with green trim. The clash kit is a simple green jersey with a light blue diagonal sash across the front torso. The kits are supplied by Puma, and the sponsor is Build.com, an online home improvement retailer based in Chico.

The second San Diego team is up next!

~ Daryl

The template will be used well.

Bidwell looks great! A. A. Ron Rodgers is the name (Key & Peele reference).

Isn't the Packers QB "Aaron"?
Yeah, it's a Key & Peele reference, i take it that no one got it?

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

I got it. Every time I hear Rodgers' name, I think AA Ron. And then Ozmataz Buckshank.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

I got it. Every time I hear Rodgers' name, I think AA Ron. And then Ozmataz Buckshank.

LOL!!!! Then Hingle McCringleberry

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

LOL!!!! Then Hingle McCringleberry

Easy there, guys! I did get the reference, indeed! (Jaxon Flaxon-Waxon is my personal favorite)

---------------------------------------------

Freeway Division

Coronado International

San Diego, California

Founded: 1984

Championships: 2

23578990910_c6d2226fae_c.jpg

While there is an actual city of Coronado across the San Diego Bay from downtown, San Diego's second soccer team is named for the connection between the two cities, the Coronado Bridge. Originally, Coronado fully used the blue/black color scheme resulting from its systemized color scheme with crosstown Real San Diego (the colors between UCSD (blue/yellow) and SDSU (red/black) are split among the city's two soccer teams, so to not favor any single group of people), but the popularity of the brown/gold Padres color scheme in the recent years prompted the ownership group (the visually-indecisive folks also running the San Diego Padres) finally changed the primary color scheme. The crest incorporates the shield from the San Diego city seal, as well as the bells, a nod to the first Spanish mission in California being in San Diego. It also looks like Lafarge had the same ideas for his San Diego Cavalry; frankly, I didn't notice the similarity between his concept and mine until long after I already started with this one.

The brown/white/gold home kit in 2014 had finally been promoted to the home jersey after being the clash jersey for so long; it incorporates a wave pattern in the upper torso because of the Pacific Ocean's huge impact in San Diego's culture. The clash jersey is a blue jersey with black trim that has a unique pinstripe design stylized like the towers of the Coronado Bridge. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is Petco.

~ Daryl

Just now got to these and I've yet to be disappointing. Keep up the great work man, that tie dye jersey is awesome!

Thanks, man! :)

That tie-dye jersey was the first time I had to draw tie-dye; glad you liked it! :)

Coronado looks fantastic, the name is Shaun White.

Thank you, and it is indeed Shaun White!

Looks great! Isn't Coronado where the Navy SEALs train?

That is true, as the Navy base is right next to the city of Coronado; however, I decided that Sporting Oceanside would be the Navy homage team, while Coronado represents San Diego and its missionary history.

-------------------------------------------------------

Redwood Division

Rogue Valley Union

Medford, Oregon

Founded: 1993

23636559550_4a000fa2b7_c.jpg

Southern Oregon's first team in this league represents the tri-city area known as the Rogue Valley, an area whose major three cities are Grants Pass, Medford, and Ashland. Three is a major motif in this team's identity; the three animals featured in the main shield represent the four countries that were involved in this area, mostly because of the fur trade: the eagle at the top represents both Russia and the United States, the lion represents the British, and the fleur-de-lis represents the French. The addition of "Union" to the team's name (and also the shape of the shield itself) is a nod to the Oregon state seal and flag, which has the state's motto of "The Union". Two beavers (the Oregon state animal, and the heart of the historic fur trade) adorn either side of "Union". Two different fonts are in this crest: I wanted a more rugged font for "Rogue Valley", while "Union" is in a more traditional, serif font as a nod to the famous Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland.

The home kit is a simple green-on-white jersey with the "Y" pattern from the crest. The clash jersey is a black jersey with a green/white argyle pattern. The kits are supplied by NIke (they're based in Oregon), and the sponsor is Lithia Motors, a national car dealership company based out of Medford.

Up next, Oregon's second team!

~ Daryl

Ooh! Medford looks cool, Wolfsburg has the x, Medford has the y, very cool

Would the name be Scott Davis, CEO of UPS?

In the WTA Championship, I think those teams were the right ones, going with only the best you had to offer.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

Ooh! Medford looks cool, Wolfsburg has the x, Medford has the y, very cool

Would the name be Scott Davis, CEO of UPS?

In the WTA Championship, I think those teams were the right ones, going with only the best you had to offer.

The "Y" is certainly something I haven't quite played around with before; glad you liked it! And once again, you're correct about the player name!

The four teams I chose for the WTA were the teams with the most championships (I don't do the season-by-season stuff because I don't have the time to) in the AFS.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Redwood Division

SC Klamath Falls

Klamath Falls, Oregon

Founded: 2010

23890557081_ec7e4b995f_c.jpg

Southern Oregon's second team was actually a very last minute addition to the league, as I had to sacrifice Solano County's future team to accommodate this one, as I felt that Klamath Falls is a big enough city to sustain its own team and not have to share with Rogue Valley, about 50 or so miles away to the west. As far as team histories go, SCKF is the newest team in the CSF, being founded in 2010. The colors are very appropriate for this area, as the color scheme reflects both the region's abundant salmon (with this specific shade of pink (the colored pencil I used was literally "salmon") and the slate color, for the skin) as well as nearby Crater Lake (with the blue reflecting its really waters and the slate also representing the rock color of the rim of the lake). The design is an elongated shield, with the heavy angles of the "K" influencing the rest of the shield; the triangles resulting from this design are also a nod to the basket designs of the Klamath Native Americans.

The home kit is the infamous but very popular salmon jerseys: the middle of the jerseys resemble the color of salmon meat, with the sleeves and its sublimated scale pattern resembling the outside of the salmon. The clash kit, the "Crater Lake Pride" jersey, is a more conservative "quartered" jersey with two shades of light blue and slate trim. The kits are supplied by Under Armour, and the sponsor is Columbia Forest Products.

Merry Christmas to all! :)

~ Daryl

The move is ingenious, and the colors are unique to say the least, and they work. The grey shorts are strange, but with the colors of the crest, it makes sense.

Uglybus, as DJ Khalid would say, you smart.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

James Ivory? I like it, other than the 2 grays on the shorts.

Indeed it is director James Ivory! As for the shorts, I did so just to match the two-tone gray on the home kit sleeves, corresponding to the salmon scale pattern.

The move is ingenious, and the colors are unique to say the least, and they work. The grey shorts are strange, but with the colors of the crest, it makes sense.

I tried to make the colors as relevant to the area as I can without resorting to the logging industry once again, and I see it works! Glad you liked Klamath Falls! :)

------------------------------------------------------

Mojave Division

Deportivo El Centro

El Centro, California

Founded: 1995

23380544104_6eea5aea2a_c.jpg

Because of its proximity to the Mexican border, I decided for El Centro to combine two elements I saw a lot of in Mexican soccer logos: roundels and shields. Now, unlike the leaked new Manchester City crest, the shield is not entirely within the roundel, instead with the top extending out of the roundel, similar to Guadalajara's crest. While the team is based in El Centro, the design represents all of Imperial County, with the seven stripes representing the seven main towns of the county; El Centro is represented with the soccer ball in the centro of the shield. The colors are taken from the El Centro Imperials; I had originally intended a black/sand color scheme for the team, but that ended up looking way too dull.

The home kit is a simple black/yellow hooped kit. The clash kit is a white jersey with thin stripes, with the center stripe being black to represent El Centro. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is Bimbo.

Only four teams left!

~ Daryl

El Centro es muy bien! Él llamo es Tony Romo.

The Spanish influence is very good there.

Glad you liked El Centro! As far as the name goes, you're close, but you're incorrect. It's actually Giants pitcher Sergio Romo, who hails from nearby Brawley. (Tony Romo is actually from San Diego)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Today, I'm posting two fierce, interdivisional rivals.

South Coast Division

SLO Town SC

San Luis Obispo, California

Founded: 1993

23665523639_ffb9bd3ac6_c.jpg

While "SLO" is probably not the best letters you'd want to see on a running soccer player, it's a common nickname for San Luis Obispo (often called "SLO Town" to differentiate from San Luis Obispo County), so it is used for their soccer team. Since Cal Poly is such a huge part of this relatively small city, I naturally had to use the university's green and gold color scheme for the team. The crest is a simple shield with a large "SLO" monogram in the middle.

Simplicity is a huge part of SLO's identity, with the home kit being a simple green jersey, while the clash is a white jersey with gold sleeves. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is Takken's Shoes.

Central Division

Paso Robles Temblors SC

Paso Robles, California

Founded: 1994

24007272226_92dcd1511b_c.jpg

Although it is physically only about 20 miles away from San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles is separated by the divisional alignments of the league. Unlike their bitter rivals to the south, Paso Robles goes for a more complex identity, one based on the San Andreas Fault not too far east of the city (yes, many other cities in the league are close to the fault, but this region is a more seismically active area). Unlike the new San Jose Earthquakes crest that uses chevrons to show a fault line, Paso Robles uses a broken vertical hoop pattern (showing the actually movement of the San Andreas Fault: the "west" side of the fault moving northwest while the "east" side of the fault moving southeast). The "Temblors" part of the official team name is the Spanish word for "earthquake". The claret/blue color scheme (shared with the Premier League's Aston Villa and West Ham) is a nod to the region's growing wine industry, with the claret representing the wine and the blue because it just looks good.

The claret home kit contains a combination of the elaborate "fault line" pattern on the crest and a typical diagonal sash. The clash kit is an homage to the city's famous hot springs, with the two white lines representing smoke. The kits are supplied by Puma, and the sponsor is the 805 Beer, brewed in Paso Robles.

Up next are the final two teams, Visalia and Stockton, in that order.

~ Daryl

Archived