Hand-Drawn Soccer Drawings II: California Soccer League

TheGiantsFan

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zac Efron? I like both of these a lot. Do you have a template for the uniforms I could use?

Those rivals look fantastic!

Glad y'all liked them! :) SLO is Zac Efron, but any guesses on Paso Robles?

Uglybus, I can certainly post my template once this series is done, so stay tuned! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy New Year, everybody! :D

Central Division

Visalia SC

Visalia, California

Founded: 1996

Championships: 0

23490281974_148f5f8350_c.jpg

A poll I put up on Twitter showed that people would've preferred to see a sequoia theme (Sequoia National Park is pretty close by to the east) rather than a farm theme for this Central Valley city, and so that's what I did. After playing around with a bunch of different ideas, I decided to go for a Stoke City-style crest with a design that incorporates the mighty sequoia tree inside a "V" for Vendetta Visalia. The colors I was very stumped on, but I decided on was a twist on the green/brown color scheme, using a mint green and a dark brown; this color scheme relates to both the colors of the sequoias as well as the rich agricultural region that the Central Valley is. I had a really tough artist's block with this one, but I really like what I ended up with. :)

The home kit is inspired by the Vancouver Canucks uniforms of the late 70s, with a huge "V" dominating the upper torso of this mint green jersey. The clash kit is an equally wild design (they're actually old Warrior designs kept by New Balance due to popular demand), with a mint green/dark brown top and a white bottom. The kits are supplied by New Balance, and the sponsor is Jostens (my Yearbook staff at school works with this company), who has one of their printing plants in Visalia.

Last team up next, and that is Stockton!

~ Daryl

Mint green is one of those under utilized colors that really works! This concept is no exception.

I believe the names are Ignacy Paderewski, pianist(as his property is in Paso Robles), and Stephen Vogt, Oakland athletics player.

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

I've been away from the boards for a while but this series is really exceptional. A couple of my favorites are Sporting Oceanside, Sol Yuma, Bidwell Park and Coronado International. This latest one for Visalia is pretty amazing too. I love the vibrant, beautiful color combinations more than anything else. But there's just so many great kits in here. @TheGiantsFan you should be proud!

Mint green is one of those under utilized colors that really works! This concept is no exception.

I believe the names are Ignacy Paderewski, pianist(as his property is in Paso Robles), and Stephen Vogt, Oakland athletics player.

Indeed! I haven't really seen any concepts that incorporate mint green in it; glad you liked it! :)

You're correct on both of the names, though Paderewski was more than just a pianist. :P

Might be my favorite team yet.

Thank you very much! :)

I've been away from the boards for a while but this series is really exceptional. A couple of my favorites are Sporting Oceanside, Sol Yuma, Bidwell Park and Coronado International. This latest one for Visalia is pretty amazing too. I love the vibrant, beautiful color combinations more than anything else. But there's just so many great kits in here. @TheGiantsFan you should be proud!

Now that all the teams are completed, I can say that some of my absolute favorites are Sonoma, Coronado, and Placerville. Those I found the most fun to make, though pretty much all the teams were pretty enjoyable to make.

Concerning the color scheme diversity, I always challenge myself with it, in making new color schemes. "There's too many green/yellow teams", or "There's too many blue/yellow teams" are things I always said to myself going through my series, prompting me to experiment with more unusual color schemes still appropriate for those teams' locations. Or, like Visalia, doing a new take on a color scheme already used in the league. It gets hard coming up with different color schemes deep into a series like this, though it was a bit more challenging in my 95-team AFS (remember that?) than in this 49-team California league.

And thanks for the comments, it has indeed been an awesome series! :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Gold Country Division

Stockton United

Stockton, California

Founded: 1986

Championships: 1

23859725580_3110bb6a88_c.jpg

At last, we have made it to the 49th and final team of the California Soccer League! The Stockton area has several decently-sized cities surrounding it, so I decided to combine elements from both Stockton and those cities in this crest. Each of the five divisions of the crest has a symbol representing the five main cities of this part of San Joaquin County: the ship steering wheel at the upper-left corner represents Stockton, one of California's two inland ports (the other is Sacramento); the grapes at the upper-right represents Lodi, known for its Zinfandel wineries; the train at the lower-left represents Lathrop, a city founded by the railroad; the pig at lower-right is a reference to Manteca, a city that was named after the Spanish word for pig lard after an accidental misspelling of "Monteca"; lastly, the bottom triangle represents Tracy, which is located inside a triangle created by Interstates 5, 205, and 580. The slogan is "Rough and Ready", a reference to the Rough and Ready Island in the Port of Stockton. The colors are white, "Brick City Red", and "Mudville Brown" - references to nicknames of Stockton.

The kits I wanted to make as simple as possible, while making Stockton look like a team you wouldn't want to mess with. The home kit is a simple red jersey with brown shorts, while the clash kit features a brown sash with red borders. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is the A&W root beer and restaurant company, which had its starts in Lodi.

Here's a little story I created about the fierce regional rivalry between Stockton and Modesto to the south: Manteca is located roughly halfway between Stockton and Modesto on CA-99, and so it is a highly-contested territory between the two teams. Stockton represents Manteca directly on the crest, while Modesto is more modest about it. However, fans in the city easily sway between either team (Lathrop and Tracy are solidified in Stockton's fanbase), even making the divisional matchups between the two teams be known as the "Battle of Manteca".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it for the teams, though league compilations and the finale are coming pretty soon! :)

~ Daryl

Haven't commented on any of these, but I have been looking, and these are fantastic! For sure the best hand drawn concepts I've seen. The level of detail put into each of the identities really helps them all to stand out from one another. Keep up the great work!

Haven't commented on any of these, but I have been looking, and these are fantastic! For sure the best hand drawn concepts I've seen. The level of detail put into each of the identities really helps them all to stand out from one another. Keep up the great work!

Thank you very much, my friend! Glad you've been liking 'em! :)

I put quite a lot of research into making each team feel as authentic as possible to each of these towns, mostly using Wikipedia and also through the simple Google search. I also look at the rest of the concepts while I draw one up, so that nothing would look too similar to another team.

Stockton=yes!

I think the name is Alex Spanos

Indeed it is!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this series is all but over, so now I present to you all the league maps and logo and jersey compilations. Enjoy! :D

Maps

19029148004_57dc7e0b9f_c.jpg

24081076871_1a3771af7f_c.jpg

Logos

24164410285_303bf610e7_c.jpg

Home Kits

23868784110_06162b186a_c.jpg

23537640263_0d8f9b0954_c.jpg

Clash Kits

24056338722_8423a36749_c.jpg

24081807641_2dfa80df5f_c.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's pretty much a wrap for the California Soccer League! This has been a really fun project that I've undertaken for the past 6 months, learning more about my great state of California in the process. I've tried to make each and every team as authentic to each city as I possibly could, adding local flair to the logos, the kits, and even the sponsors! The player names also add a bit more trivia to the kits, and thanks to all that correctly guessed the names! :)

I contemplated on what I was going to do after this series. Some of it included revisiting my Alton baseball concepts, or doing a second division for the CSL (which I possibly might do for the cities I couldn't fit into my 49-team CSL). However I eventually decided on doing...

...an MLB-to-Soccer Concept Series!

Stay tuned for that, my friends, and thanks for riding along with the California Soccer League! :)

~ Daryl

At the request of a few users, I have decided to make my soccer template public, so here it is! This template you can print out as you so desire! :)

23712364972_16abd6d853_b.jpg

Here's how this template works:

• First, each team takes up a half-sheet of paper, so that two teams and four jerseys can fit on a single full sheet of paper
  • The middle of the jerseys are purposely left blank on the template, as I draw the trim, piping, etc. myself, custom to each team
  • The blank space on the upper left corner is for the team name and crest
  • The top right has spaces for the kit supplier and sponsor

It's not too complicated of a template, and I look forward to what the concept community does with it! :)

Enjoy!

~ Daryl

EDIT: This is my 1,000th post!

Wow! In 3 different ways! First, finishing. Second, the compilation. And third, 1K posts! I can't wait for the next series!

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

Great work Daryl! This whole is seriously so impressive. You have a lot of dedication and creativity to come up with 42 unique teams that all have great identities. And it was all hand drawn! This needs to be nominated for concept series of the year!

Great work Daryl! This whole is seriously so impressive. You have a lot of dedication and creativity to come up with 42 unique teams that all have great identities. And it was all hand drawn! This needs to be nominated for concept series of the year!

Seconded!

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

Guest darkpiranha

Fantastic work. Cannot WAIT for your next series. Hopefully hockey. I also wouldn't mind seeing you create a new sport with some interestingly shaped pieces of gear that allow you to create within new spaces.

Wow! In 3 different ways! First, finishing. Second, the compilation. And third, 1K posts! I can't wait for the next series!

Thank you! :) And I hope my next series will be just as epic~

The detail put into Stockton handdrawn is just amazing. You always put something out that surprises me, congratulations on another helluva series!

Sometimes, small is just as good, especially how I'm not the best at drawing animals. :P Glad you liked Stockton, and this series in general! :)

Great work Daryl! This whole is seriously so impressive. You have a lot of dedication and creativity to come up with 49 unique teams that all have great identities. And it was all hand drawn! This needs to be nominated for concept series of the year!

Seconded!

It was quite a daunting endeavor to get all these unique identities, but it's certainly worth it in the end! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Fantastic work. Cannot WAIT for your next series. Hopefully hockey. I also wouldn't mind seeing you create a new sport with some interestingly shaped pieces of gear that allow you to create within new spaces.

Thank you, sir! :)

I'm gonna be doing an MLB crossover (into soccer) series next. I don't really pay attention all too much to the actual sport of soccer, but making soccer identities is indeed pretty enjoyable! Hockey I'm not really much into both as a sport nor aesthetics, so I'll have to hold you off on that one. As for inventing a sport, I can't even invent a simple game! :P

• 5 months later...

So I've been contemplating...

In the near future, I wanna do another California soccer league to tap into the smaller markets that the CSL doesn't quite get into, but I'm not sure how I would like it to coexist with the CSL. Should it be a separate league that's independent of the CSL, or a minor-league system of some sort (like the whole MLS/NASL/USL relationship in real life)? I don't want to do a simple expansion of the CSL, though.

In this hypothetical new league, I'd wanna do more neighborhood-oriented teams, more ethnic teams (an Italian team for San Francisco's North Beach, for example), more suburban teams (like a team for LA's San Fernando Valley) that are quite left out by the more urban-oriented CSL teams.

Division-wise, I plan on having a Northern division and a Southern division, with the divisions themselves divided into smaller divisions based on metropolitan area. 30 teams in the entire league, 15 in each division, and 5 in each subdivision.

I already have a few ideas conceptualized in my head, but no new concepts just yet; still in contemplation mode here. Haha...

Any ideas are appreciated! :) (All discussion can be in this thread, as this new hypothetical league won't have its own thread just yet)

~ Daryl

Archived