2016 MLB All Star Game logo

The SHOW

Yeah, you gotta pick a lane. And as for being a small market, didn't Fox just give the Padres a huge television contract with equity a few years ago? Doesn't sound small to me!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think baseball has small markets. Everyone has a large population to draw from, everyone has money to spend, and they're selling as mainstream a sports product as there is. Either every market but New York is a small market or none of them are.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Nobody seems to point out that the Padres can't decide if they're representing friars/priests, the beaches, or the US Marines.

Maybe sticking to one identity will help determine which colors/look is best for once.

In my mental image of what the city of San Diego represents, each Padres look has a fit to a degree but muddling the three together is not helping. Maybe they should go with a Friar serving in the Marines while relaxing on the beach?

Here's my mental imagery of San Diego...

sandiegoskyline_gde.jpeg

Sailboats, water, & a zoo.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Here's my mental imagery of San Diego...

sandiegoskyline_gde.jpeg

&

vid_threescompany_theme_ep005.jpg

Sailboats, water, & Three's Company.

Three's Company was set in Santa Monica. That's LA. (Jack Tripper was a Raiders fan after they moved south.) You need Simon and Simon if you want San Diego from around that time.

And yes, I'm embarrassed to admit that I knew that off the top of my head.

Three's Company was set in Santa Monica. That's LA. (Jack Tripper was a Raiders fan after they moved south.) You need Simon and Simon if you want San Diego from around that time.

Perception apparently isn't always reality :mojoto:

I fixed it & substituted a zoo instead. San Diego Zoo was featured on a lot of 80's tv also.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Perception apparently isn't always reality :mojoto:

I fixed it & substituted a zoo instead. San Diego Zoo was featured on a lot of 80's tv also.

What about Anchorman?

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Nobody seems to point out that the Padres can't decide if they're representing friars/priests, the beaches, or the US Marines.

Maybe sticking to one identity will help determine which colors/look is best for once.

In my mental image of what the city of San Diego represents, each Padres look has a fit to a degree but muddling the three together is not helping. Maybe they should go with a Friar serving in the Marines while relaxing on the beach?

Problem is the Padres do represent the Padres (history of San Diego), the coastal oceanic setting (where SD is in the world), and the military (given the city's close ties to the military). And given the Padres comparatively small market they need to try and appeal to the maximum number of people possible. Hence they try to in every way they can.

Visually they need to choose one representation. Teams from other cities don't represent multiple aspects of the city or they'd have the same mess.

One could argue that most teams don't represent anything of their city. Like Boston represents everyone in Massachusetts that owns a red pair of socks? Or how many Pirates do you see walking around the city of Pittsburgh.

I get what all three themes mean to the city of San Diego but considering the word Padres is what's across the front of the jersey that's what they should focus on , allowing the occasional Marines tribute because it works for them and just dropping the beach and ocean gimmick because it just confuses everything.

Problem is the Padres do represent the Padres (history of San Diego), the coastal oceanic setting (where SD is in the world), and the military (given the city's close ties to the military). And given the Padres comparatively small market they need to try and appeal to the maximum number of people possible. Hence they try to in every way they can.

Visually they need to choose one representation. Teams from other cities don't represent multiple aspects of the city or they'd have the same mess.

One could argue that most teams don't represent anything of their city. Like Boston represents everyone in Massachusetts that owns a red pair of socks? Or how many Pirates do you see walking around the city of Pittsburgh.

I get what all three themes mean to the city of San Diego but considering the word Padres is what's across the front of the jersey that's what they should focus on , allowing the occasional Marines tribute because it works for them and just dropping the beach and ocean gimmick because it just confuses everything.

Uniforms can have such elements worked in and have it work. For example, and someone correct me if I am way off base, I have long thought the bottom of the Pirates "P" was a nod to the "keystone" from the state nickname. If so, they worked that in without really causing an issue.

It's more of a problem if a team tries to reprsent too many things in an obvious way. Are they trying to represent the beach with the sand color? The water with the wordmark? The friar? I tend to doubt that it is a conscious choice to squeeze too much stuff into one identity, but if so, it kinda failed. Adding the military as an ALT look, they've watered it down some more (Just as teams like the Twins and Brewers have with their throwback uniforms).

I don't think the Padres problem is trying to be too many things to too many people (though that is the Chargers problem regarding color scheme). The little wave underline is not the problem. The sand is not the problem. The camo is a problem, but would be even if the team had a better primary identity. I think their problem is that at no point have they ever been able to settle long-term on an identity. They had brown for 20 years, but had it in three different schemes (yellow, yellow/orange, orange). Then blue/orange, then blue/sand, just blue, etc. The second part of their problem is they seem determined to blend in as much as possible. They have been around for less time than most teams, have less history of success than most teams, and are therefore one of the least noticed franchises in MLB (5th most noticed in their own state). And they blend in with an over-used color and make the look in no other way memorable. That's really their problem. They need to 1) come up with a long-term identity and it has to be 2) memorable in some fashion. Going back to brown does this instantly. But OK. Brown is not a popular color. As much as I am a huge lover of the Padres in brown, I get why a team would not want to do it. Then find another way. I am not sure what hat would be (the red that sometimes shows up on a friar logo, maybe with a light blue?). But there has to be a better way than what they've been doing.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Here's a solution, move them to Montreal and call them the Expos.

You don't move a team with a new ballpark who is one of the middle of the road teams in terms of attendance and revenue. You move a proven financial loser if anyone.

The Friar is just the mascot. He represents San Diego as much as the Phanatic represents Philadelphia.

As far as the division between beach/sun and the military goes, the Padres generally contain the military tributes to Sunday. It's not that messy.

As a San Diego native, I always thought the brown and yellow/orange were a perfect nod to both the mascot and the surroundings.

To me, to ignore the mascot is simply lazy, poor design. I can give a pass to old, historic teams (navy blue for the Tigers) but for any team that came into the league from the 1960s on, they really have no excuse to not find a design solution that works with their mascot.

padresexample.jpg

The Friar, though, is more than just a mascot. Like Ice Cap said, he is the basis for the team name.

He isn't Mariner Moose, or the Phanatic, or the Giants' LouSeal, or Houston's "Orbit".

On a side note, I love Simon & Simon :) If you look closely, there are usually some brown/gold/orange Padres items on Rick and A.J.'s desks :)

Personally, I think the team should just change it's name but that's all but unprecedented. And they'd just change it to something ridiculous like the Surf Dawgs anyway.

Unprecedented in MLB but what about the Bullets in the NBA? I'd hate for the Padres name to go away but an argument could be made that the name is insensitive to the Native people who were oppressed by the friars. In our overly PC world I'm actually shocked that hasn't already happened.

Unprecedented in MLB but what about the Bullets in the NBA? I'd hate for the Padres name to go away but an argument could be made that the name is insensitive to the Native people who were oppressed by the friars. In our overly PC world I'm actually shocked that hasn't already happened.

Probably for several reason, first and foremost the team's name has been Padres since the beginning in the PCL. Second, it's not necessarily racially insensitive to the native populations per their own admission (I mean hell, several bands of local Kumeyaay, Luiseno and Mission Indians actively sponsor the Padres). Plus think of the large Latino population who were spread initially through Alta California by those very same Friars. Whose millions of descendants still call California and San Diego home. Not to mention the city itself was founded by those very same Friars. Did their presence sometimes have negative consequences for some of the natives, absolutely, but there were plenty of positives as well not the least of which was the existence of San Diego itself.

Personally, I think the team should just change it's name but that's all but unprecedented. And they'd just change it to something ridiculous like the Surf Dawgs anyway.

Dodgers and Lakers should be in line to change their names long before the Padres.

Archived