Hamilton Steelcats NHL Expansion

TrueNorth13

http://imgur.com/a/pDnK9

This is the second concept I've created. This time I moved to Hamilton for a potential spot for NHL expansion. The name I chose, the Steelcats, comes from Hamilton's hockey and city history. The 'steel' part comes from Hamilton being the Steel City and the 'cat' part comes from the former Hamilton Tigers. I wanted to incorporate both aspects to the city instead of just copying the former team name. It can work, I just wanted something different. The uniforms are all based off of the Hamilton Tigers uniforms. When choosing the colour scheme, I realized quickly that it would be a lot like Boston's colours. To solve that, I chose to have a black home uniform, instead of going with the yellow. I still think it works very well. If anyone says I should've chosen a different colour scheme because it looks too much like ___ (fill in the blank), it's hard to have a unique colour scheme that looks good and is very different than other teams. It's possible, but I liked the yellow, black, and grey colour scheme too much to change it. If you saw my previous concept (Seattle Totems), you'll realize that I really tried to have a more modern primary and alternate logo and I think it came out pretty good. Some good C&C is appreciated. And I emphasize good. Telling someone to restart is not helpful in any way. Thanks

Also, I received instruction on how to post the image straight to the topic, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Any more help would be much appreciated. I use a Macbook to post my topics. Thanks

Love the primary...while it may not be the world's most anatomically accurate cat, I think your blocky, edgy tiger head has a certain kind of charm to it.

The I-beam needs work...I think what throws it off for me is the black outline around it which causes it to lose it's definition as a I-beam and the fact that there is so little contrast between the grey and the yellow. I think you can do better with the font as well. It ends up looking like an ill-defined dash. And it gets worse when you put it on the H. There is no correlation between the shapes, the I-beam is a dash with its own outline that is just slapped on top of two yellow "I" shapes. Plus the beam is viewed in perspective while the I's are 2D which further disconnects them.

There is tons of potential there though. Think about how the structural steel frame of a building is built. Those yellow I shapes are essentially wide-flange columns and then you've got the beam spanning across. I would think you could integrate them into a more cohesive logo.

Keep up the nice work!

This is a well done concept! And there's nothing like Boston or any other team as far as I can see.

The first logo is aggressive and the name well chosen, what I don't like that much is that the alternate jersey is too horizontal with the logo and the stripes. You could may change this using the H-logo instead of the steel beam. I think a grey third would be interesting if it completes your set (steel = grey). As yet said by another comment the writing's outline is too big.

Would be interesting to see your changes!

I took el_Obi's suggestions and changed my alternate uniform. I decided to keep the grey stripes as to fully create the Steel City jersey that was suggested and that I was going for. I originally was going to make it grey, but wasn't sure how it would look, but it looks pretty sharp.

http://imgur.com/a/pDnK9

I also created wallpaper for iPhones (5) and desktops. Cause why not.

I think that this would be a fantastic concept for a minor league team. I just feel that the name and design don't quite fit in the NHL.

I think the H still looks a little disconnected. What if you made the width of the black stroke around the logo consistent and removed the silver outline around the team name on the beam?

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

Eagle98: I don't want to sound rude, because that's not my intention, but you really think that Steelcats "doesn't fit it the NHL"? It is the same league that had Mighty Ducks, the Toronto Arenas, the New York Americans, Vancouver Millionaires etc. I don't want to sounds rude, I'm just confused as how a name can be deemed as 'minor league'. If the logo is some kid friendly fluffy animal, I agree it belongs in the minors, but mine doesn't include that. I think of the name fits with the city's history and heritage, it works as a professional name. I can understand where you're coming from, just not in regards to my design. And in regards to the H logo, I'm quite happy with where it is, and since I'm only doing these for fun, I probably won't get around to changing anything again. But thanks for the C&C. Much apprectiated??

Chimp307: I can assure you that I didn't take it from wherever you say it came from. If it has the same team name, that means we both were on the same track for naming. But I can tell you that I didn't know about this IceHL team that has been created. It's cool that somebody else had the same team name as me. Believe me or not, I guarantee that I didn't just take the name. I put thought into what I would call my team and that is what I came up with. I'm kind of insulted that you would assume I stole it. Whatever though, like I said, I created this for my pleasure. It's interesting that another person had the same idea as me, but, again, I didn't know about it. Just making that clear.

Archived