NHL Uni Redesigns -- SJ Sharks revamped (added 7/5/17)

Philly's Phinest

14/32 -- Toronto Maple Leafs

Next up is the Leafs. Toronto is one of those teams where you really don't want to stray too far from the classic and timeless feel of the team. I used a mixture of past and present elements for my design.

Home Sweater:

The home is the iconic Royal Blue. Instead of the two-bar striping, I went with the 3 that they use on their alternate jerseys. Primary crest stays the same with the "old school" leaf as the shoulder patch. Also, the lace up collar is a must.

DKVvwLH.png

Away Sweater:

Same look, just in white here.

pFEZnje.png

Alternate Sweater:

For the alternate, I wanted something really classic. I went with a spinoff of the old Toronto St. Pat's jerseys. Triple bar striping is used across the chest with "Toronto" in a large font size. Two bar striping is used at the bottom of the jerseys as it was with the St. Pat's look, however I carried it onto the sleeves and positioned them lower to the glove for a stylistic touch. I did not carry the chest striping to the back because I felt it might give it too much of a Habs feel. The old school leaf stays on the shoulders carrying over from the home and away. Also, a cream color is used instead of white. Honestly, I really like how this one turned out. As always C&C is greatly appreciated!

WUmjv7h.png

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15/32 -- Vancouver Canucks

Almost at the half way point and still chuggin' along. Next up is the Canucks. The Canucks, in my opinion, have had an identity crisis for quite some time now. I feel like then need a solid brand and I truly think building it around Johnny Canuck would be perfect. As I did with the "Weagle" logo in Washington, a secondary now becomes the primary.

Home Jersey:

The Canucks have pretty solid jerseys so as it is. Nice striping, a good font. It just needs a little tweaking. Primary at home is the blue. Johnny Canuck "V" logo takes precedence as the primary crest. The stick logo is now moved to the shoulders as a patch.

4ehl4k8.png

Away Jersey:

Much like the home, but in white. Also, blue stays below the stripes to keep a good color balance. I also extended the blue at the bottom of the jersey to keep it consistent with the sleeve striping.

0Hb4z8r.png

Alternate Options:

Building off the Johnny Canuck brand, I wanted to do a full body version for an alternate. I have 4 designs below and would love some feedback on which you'd like to see on the alternate. I also have some other alternate sets that I'll reveal once the full body version is finished.

3InQtke.png

As always, C&C is greatly appreciated! Looking forward to some responses for the alternate!

Great look for the Canucks, I like that you made the bottom of the away jersey blue. The inconsistency between that and the sleeve ends has always bugged me. That top left Johnny Canuck looks awesome, as would the one in current colors but I don't know how well it would mesh with the millionaires colors. I know it's somewhat loathed around here but I've always liked the maroon and blue color scheme they had in the early 2000's (the first jerseys with the whale). That scheme might make a cool looking Johnny, just a thought. Great work!

x1elJNM.jpg

Great look for the Canucks, I like that you made the bottom of the away jersey blue. The inconsistency between that and the sleeve ends has always bugged me. That top left Johnny Canuck looks awesome, as would the one in current colors but I don't know how well it would mesh with the millionaires colors. I know it's somewhat loathed around here but I've always liked the maroon and blue color scheme they had in the early 2000's (the first jerseys with the whale). That scheme might make a cool looking Johnny, just a thought. Great work!

Thanks a lot! And, you know, I thought about adding that color scheme, but realized that it's not really well perceived around the area. I actually kinda like it too so I put this together as another option...

gLCcg1r.png

I'm a huge fan of the Orce logo for the Canucks. I feel it has a regional fit and is an all around good crest. That being said, what you did with Johnny is good. I think he looks very lumber-jacky in the black/red/gold as well. That would be a great alternate and kinda fits with them wearing that once this year.

sig.png

The main set is absolutely beautiful and exactly the kind of switch the team needs to make. I didn't thing that logo could work well enough as a primary but you've proven that notion false. As for the alternate, I think you should go with the Blue, Green, White and Silver. It would result in a more consistent identity.

I'm a huge fan of the Orce logo for the Canucks. I feel it has a regional fit and is an all around good crest. That being said, what you did with Johnny is good. I think he looks very lumber-jacky in the black/red/gold as well. That would be a great alternate and kinda fits with them wearing that once this year.

I actually liked the Orca as well, but I just wanted to take a different route. I appreciate the kind words.

Awesome! Either those colors or the flying skate era one would look great on an alternate

Thank you!

The main set is absolutely beautiful and exactly the kind of switch the team needs to make. I didn't thing that logo could work well enough as a primary but you've proven that notion false. As for the alternate, I think you should go with the Blue, Green, White and Silver. It would result in a more consistent identity.

Greatly appreciated! I agree with the consistency theme. I may end up making one design and then posting them in all of the color combos as above.

Alternate Options:

After putting these together, I feel like the blue may be best to go with, but I posted a black version as well. I wanted to incorporate plaid somehow in the design to give it a Lumberjack-ish feel. I used the plaid only in the striping because I felt it would be complete overkill on the whole jersey. The full body Johnny takes precedence as the primary crest. Shoulder patches have been removed for a cleaner look. I really wanted the focus to be on the crest and the plaid. I also went with the first name on the back as a modern spin. It seems like this has been a trend in the NBA and I feel it would be kind of cool to see in the NHL as well. Out of the two, I'm leaning towards blue for a consistent look with the set.

mYi4BE0.png

Early Days of My Designs:

Going through some of my older work, I stumbled upon this design which is one of the very first hockey concepts I ever made. I would say this was from about 3 years ago or so. I remember wanting something funky as a third jersey for the Canucks. I went with a V-ish pattern on the sleeve and kind of connected it through the shoulder. Just thought it would be fun to post. Maybe I'll revisit it this series and make it into something that I'd put out as a third jersey.

G1w3x2G.png

Guest darkpiranha

Loving the plaid stripes. Subtle, yet distinctive, and easily converted into any color combo that may present itself.

And the V-sleeve design you had is also pretty cool. I almost did a What-If series where that Canucks V-shirt proved to be immensely popular, and became a design aesthetic that swept the league. Didn't get anywhere with it, but the idea seemed fun/horrific.

Those Johnny Canuck ones are beautiful.

Thanks!

This is your series in all, but could we see the Orca instead of the Stick in the Rink on the shoulder logos?

Sure thing! I'll post it below.

Loving the plaid stripes. Subtle, yet distinctive, and easily converted into any color combo that may present itself.

And the V-sleeve design you had is also pretty cool. I almost did a What-If series where that Canucks V-shirt proved to be immensely popular, and became a design aesthetic that swept the league. Didn't get anywhere with it, but the idea seemed fun/horrific.

Thanks! I'll have to check that out!

Here's a version with the Orca on the shoulders that was requested by mamiller99. I just felt the stick logo was simpler and went better with a fairly simple primary crest. In my opinion, the Orca has too much going on with the breaking of the ice and such. Let me know what you guys think. If more people think the Orca is better, I'll go with that as the final version.

h4MDrVI.png

16/32 -- Dallas Stars

Alright so I've officially reached the half way point of the series. Thank you to all who have taken a look and also to those who have commented. This will probably be my last design for about a week or so as I'll be away on a much needed vacation in Florida. That being said, I give you, the Dallas Stars. It's pretty hard to not like those star shaped jerseys of the 90's. In my take, I've brought that back to life with a modern spin.

Home Sweater:

Primary color is green here. The star outline is white and silver with black at the bottom. Numbers are white with a silver outline. The new roundel logo is the primary shoulder patch. Also the primary chest logo has been modified to have a silver outline as opposed to green.

QVsC01g.png

Away Sweater:

Same exact design here, but white for the roads. Numbers are now black with a silver outline. I think it ties in pretty nicely. Lastly, the outline of the chest logo is changed back to green for contrast.

irioB63.png

Alternate #1:

Just a black version of the home jersey. I also have another alternate in the works using the State of Texas logo. Just wanted to get these up for the time being for some C&C! Enjoy!

rMvapsq.png

Kinda hoping to have a little feedback on the stars before I posted these alternates below so I could adapt to any changes people would like to see...but here goes.

Alternate #2:

I originally started with the white since I did a black alt above, but I ended up making a green version as well because I thought the design was pretty cool. Pretty self explanatory. As many of you know, I love subtle sublimation if it looks good, and I think this does here. I banked off of what I did with Arizona in a way. Let me know what you think!

Mavd2tO.png

Archived