A Frankenstein-ed Jazz Wordmark

macalesterscots

I believe a general consensus exists on this forum that The Utah Jazz note wordmark is outdated and kind of clunky looking. To fix this, I did a sort of Frankenstein surgery on the Utah Jazz logos from years past in a sort of combination of eras.

4vFNgVu.png

This is the Stockton/Malone era wordmark with the jagged spikes removed from the sides of the letters (their jaggedness did not match with the smoothness of the logo and the overall "smooth jazz" identity the name evokes. From there the classic j-note is added.

So that's that. I would love some comments for encouragement and/or improvement

I'll never understand the fascination by many in the concepts forum with trying to merge the western sensibilities of the '96 Jazz logo with the deco sharpness of the original logo. There is no Goldilocks zone for these styles. This is not peanut butter and chocolate, this is peanut butter and car keys.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

I'll never understand the fascination by many in the concepts forum with trying to merge the western sensibilities of the '96 Jazz logo with the deco sharpness of the original logo. There is no Goldilocks zone for these styles. This is not peanut butter and chocolate, this is peanut butter and car keys.

Funny visual, but there may be a way to marry the two. The way I see it, Victorian, carnival-style typography abounds in New Orleans, where jazz was born. Of course this warrants some stylistic changes to the musical note/basketball J, but think Dixieland and not Big Band Swing.

Fixed the angling:

S7OR0MD.png

I'm not sure the two are as contrastive as you make them out to be. They aren't peanut butter and chocolate to be sure, a match made in heaven where the combination of the two will inherently be amazing, and I never claimed them as such. But they aren't incompatible to the point they are peanut butter and car keys. I liken the two to peanut butter and a hamburger or a pizza, where some work needs to be done to make it work but it can be done effectively. The work I did was a movement away from the jagged font and wordmark of the '96 Jazz towards the smoother, "icier" persona utilized by the team in the mid '00s. On the other side, I went away from deco sharpness and towards more flowing and smooth jazz (which is what I think of when I think jazz).

Here in Texas we eat peanut butter and car keys for breakfast.

Fixed the angling:

S7OR0MD.png

I'm not sure the two are as contrastive as you make them out to be. They aren't peanut butter and chocolate to be sure, a match made in heaven where the combination of the two will inherently be amazing, and I never claimed them as such. But they aren't incompatible to the point they are peanut butter and car keys. I liken the two to peanut butter and a hamburger or a pizza, where some work needs to be done to make it work but it can be done effectively. The work I did was a movement away from the jagged font and wordmark of the '96 Jazz towards the smoother, "icier" persona utilized by the team in the mid '00s. On the other side, I went away from deco sharpness and towards more flowing and smooth jazz (which is what I think of when I think jazz).

The updated angling looks better but I'd like to see it now with different coloring options and a little thinner linework.

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

Archived