Soundwave721

Beginning of the end of Arena Football League? (again)

Recommended Posts

It's a shame that Tampa Bay just suddenly died. It's one of the most successful teams the league has ever had and one of the more stable too. Hopefully they could come back in a new league someday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't followed the AFL semi-regularly for about 12 years, but excuse me for asking. What is the difference between all these indoor leagues that aren't the Arena league? I feel like 1 indoor football league might work, but 8 or so spread out and watered down isn't exactly helping keep any league survive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, raysox said:

I haven't followed the AFL semi-regularly for about 12 years, but excuse me for asking. What is the difference between all these indoor leagues that aren't the Arena league? I feel like 1 indoor football league might work, but 8 or so spread out and watered down isn't exactly helping keep any league survive.

Not an expert so any correction is welcome, but the smaller leagues tend to cover one or two particular regions (Midwest, East Coast, Central Southwest/Texas region, etc.,) instead of being nationwide, as far I as understand that was a capitalization on when the AFL/AF2 stretched themselves too far by being a nationwide league. It seems financial instability, in-fighting, folding and merging have been a plague for every sizable indoor league and being a bunch of watered down smaller leagues struggling, folding, merging into each other, etc., is just one symptom of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2017 at 12:22 PM, Bulldog said:

I feel like someday, some great documentarian, maybe Werner Herzog or Adam Curtis, could make a film about the sad, slow death of Arena Football.

 

But then...a strange thing happened. Having gained a contract with NBC due to their lack of any other sports programming...arena football thought it was real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, the admiral said:

 

But then...a strange thing happened. Having gained a contract with NBC due to their lack of any other sports programming...arena football thought it was real.

But this was a fantasy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, the admiral said:

 

But then...a strange thing happened. Having gained a contract with NBC due to their lack of any other sports programming...arena football thought it was real.

 

5 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

But this was a fantasy...

Blame John Elway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2017 at 12:35 PM, AstroBull21 said:

Im curious as im familiar with AFL, but how are goalposts constructed in other indoor leagues?

The teams I have worked for (CIFL, AIF) used PVC pipes painted yellow. Sometimes it's as simple as hanging them from the roof of the facility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2017 at 4:16 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

The teams I have worked for (CIFL, AIF) used PVC pipes painted yellow. Sometimes it's as simple as hanging them from the roof of the facility. 

That's what I saw with the CenTex Barracudas when they were playing.  You know you're minor league when you're outdrawn in the same building by a quincenera. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received email:

 

"

Albany AFL-Team Name Reveal

 

The moment the Capital Region has been waiting for since late October is almost here! Albany AFL will be revealing our team name, logo's and brand information at a special event on Tuesday, January 23rd. This event is exclusive to Season Ticket Holders, Sponsors, and media.

 

There is still time to secure your seats for the inaugural season and join us at this once in a lifetime franchise shaping event! Lock in your seats for the 2018 season by following the link below or calling our office at"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not going to be Firebirds, so I don't really care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crossing my fingers that it'll be the Firebirds.

 

Also, I'm still miffed that while we had the LA Kiss, we didn't get to have the Orlando Boy Band or the Minnesota Princes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Empire.  The Albany Empire.

 

Yeah, no.

It feels like someone in ownership wanted this name from the beginning and trolled the Capital District fans.   

 

Add to it, there's a LGBT soccer club by the name of Albany Empire

 

http://www.albanyempire.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...hey, guys? The Spokane Empire exist. Hell, they even use orange too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

...hey, guys? The Spokane Empire exist. Hell, they even use orange too.

 

Uh, technically they don't. They're taking a "break" from the IFL (read: not coming back)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Uh, technically they don't. They're taking a "break" from the IFL (read: not coming back)

 

jesus christ what the hell has happened to this sport

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

 

jesus christ what the hell has happened to this sport

 

The Arena League got too big for it's own good and it kind of blew up on itself. Now, it's a regional league with all four members in the east. In fact, more regional leagues seem to be the way to go for indoor football, if you ask me. It keeps costs down when you don't have long cross country trips to pay for. There are exceptions in certain leagues (The IFL, for example, is concentrated in the Midwest, but they do have the Arizona Rattlers, who are far outside of the region). Still, I don't see the Arena League lasting too far longer until they can find a way to make it into a regional league that can help keep costs down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

 

The Arena League got too big for it's own good and it kind of blew up on itself. Now, it's a regional league with all four members in the east. In fact, more regional leagues seem to be the way to go for indoor football, if you ask me. It keeps costs down when you don't have long cross country trips to pay for. There are exceptions in certain leagues (The IFL, for example, is concentrated in the Midwest, but they do have the Arizona Rattlers, who are far outside of the region). Still, I don't see the Arena League lasting too far longer until they can find a way to make it into a regional league that can help keep costs down.

Phoenix being a major airline hub won't have issues getting in and out of town. The IFL is all over the map though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.