One color scheme for all teams in one city, or different?

RoughRiders99

Pittsburgh is pretty unique for having at least black and yellow colors in all of their three pro teams in the area: Pirates, Penguins and Steelers. Next closest is probably Seattle with [shade of] blue and [shade of] green with the Mariners, Seahawks and Sounders.

And after seeing the new 2016 All-Star Logo, it seems like the Padres could be hinting toward using navy, light blue and yellow for their color scheme. That's the same as the Chargers.

So it got me thinking... is it a good idea if a city use a singular color scheme for most of its team, or should all teams have their own color scheme?

Also, this is probably somewhat related, but how does one feel if one of the teams in his own city uses the same colors of a hated rival in another sport? For example, the Minnesota Vikings are Purple and Gold. Green Bay Packers are Green and Yellow. However, when the team were still there, the Minnesota North Stars were Green and Yellow.

Here's to hoping this could start a good discussion!

May be a moot point if the Chargers move away to LA.

But overall I can see the benefits of having a unified color scheme for a city. Definitely makes identifying the city teams easier. That said, other than Pittsburgh are there any other cities/regions that have unified color schemes? If not it also makes doing so somewhat unique as well.

I don't think I like the idea of a common color scheme for a given city's team, but I love the idea of teams sharing one (maybe two) color(s). That way, teams stand out while having one thing in common. The Padres could go Brown/Yellow/Light Blue with the Chargers being Navy/Light Blue/Yellow,* leaving their color schemes similar but distinct. It's nice when teams go against the grain, but if the Suns managed to sneak in just a hint of Brick (Sedona) Red into their logos or uniforms without taking over purple and/or orange, I wouldn't mind one bit.

*Provided that the Chargers don't move to LA in the next year or two.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I am glad my teams don't all wear the same scheme. I prefer the variety. While I don't wear as much apparel as I used to, I have at least a t-shirt or sweatshirt of each team; and I am glad they are not all the same color scheme.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It's a case-by-case basis. It works for Pittsburgh, and the Penguins should drop gold for yellow. It's a nice little collegial thing for a small(er) city. Also, the Bulls and Blackhawks share red and black, and it never bothered me or made me think the Bulls were copying the Hawks (which they most likely were in choosing the colors). Also, the White Sox wore red and black in the '50s and some people have called for them to add red to the current unis as a trim color. It also doesn't bother me that the Mets and Islanders share color schemes, but I don't think their fanbases exactly line up perfectly.

However, in most cases it's probably better for each team to have their own set of colors.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't think I like the idea of a common color scheme for a given city's team, but I love the idea of teams sharing one (maybe two) color(s). That way, teams stand out while having one thing in common. The Padres could go Brown/Yellow/Light Blue with the Chargers being Navy/Light Blue/Yellow,* leaving their color schemes similar but distinct. It's nice when teams go against the grain, but if the Suns managed to sneak in just a hint of Brick (Sedona) Red into their logos or uniforms without taking over purple and/or orange, I wouldn't mind one bit.

*Provided that the Chargers don't move to LA in the next year or two.

this.

I like how(besides the Bandits, and now the beauts as far as i know) all Buffalo sports teams has blue in their colours, but at the same time the sabres can be blue and gold and the bills blue and red along with the bisons

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

boston is the discussion killer here... the bruins or celtics in red, white, and blue... or the pats and red sox in black/yellow or kelly/white would all be disasters.

i'm not too fond of the idea of dallas doing it either. cowboys have to be blue and silver, obviously... the rangers need red with their blue, stars fans would riot without green, and i much prefer the mavericks in blue and green than anything else.

maybe its just because i moved around a lot as a kid, and therefor have mixed allegiances in sports, but i see no reason why the oakland a's should have any aesthetic connection with the oakland raiders... being a fan of one has no bearing on your feelings of the other. just seems a little too "high school sports" to me.

I think Texas should be considered very differently in this discussion from other states. With each city in Texas, its basically a different state of its own. It's like in California where north and south aren't even related to each other for sports teams. Texas teams should all do their own thing, because usually their are more than one pro team in Texas

I think it's something that should be done where possible, and when teams rebrand there should be a focus to unify color schemes, but it's not for everybody (Boston is the real discussion killer).

It's cool to see Pittsburgh do it (it's great for city marketing, black and gold IS Pittsburgh), and Seattle is trying. I think more cities should put more emphasis on that.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Having all St. Louis teams using blue, red, and gold is a pretty easy solution. All three teams currently use 2 of the 3 colors and the Blues have a history of using all three. It's also the color scheme of the flag of St. Louis further unifying the city and its professional slorts teams.

2043050vl19qK6.gif

Dark blues are popular in Seattle, and both the Seahawks and Mariners seem to embrace the cloudy blue look with grays and silvers mixed in. Lime(ish) green extends across to the Sounders and Seahawks. The Mariner's version of teal is related to green, looks like the murky waters of the region.

That said, I really do miss the bold green and yellow of the Seattle Supersonics. Makes we wonder if we get an NHL team if we should go there and have them adopt that look and even nickname. I would be a fan. The NBA obviously does not want The Supersonics back.

I don't think every team in one city should have the same colour scheme but it definitely looks cool when they do match like Pittsburgh, as you mentioned.

Calgary is another example that people may not know about. Calgary Flames, Stampeders, and Roughnecks all wear a combination of red/black/white. Heck, even the University of Calgary Dinos athletic team wear the same combo. It especially looks cool because our flag is primarily red.

Archived